THR op/post op since 13 march

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi zauberflöte......yes keep us informed we will want to support you....it looks like now my strength is up.......... a little but often is working well.....also today I am going to spend more time sitting with my leg elevator rather than hiding away on my bed....:)
 
clifford149 leg elevator? I have ordered this long contoured leg elevation pillow, $$$ but I think much easier to deal with than a pile of pillows that keeps slipping down. What do you use? I can understand that being in bed all the time sends a certain message to the brain... "I'm sick" is what I would feel like :( Couch will be good for me :)
 
Hi zauberflöte....well spotted...."leg elevated".....well today was spent in the conservatory....using to chairs to keep the leg elevated!
Its been a lovely sunny although windy afternoon but did get some vitamin d on legs + circuits of the garden....haven't used any ice today I will this evening...another good sign :)
I think getting a large pillow is a good idea as well as piece of mind....I am using a largish cushion and a pillow on my side but not ideal.....best wishes...
 
zauberflöte You will do just as well when your time arrives the advice and support from BS is invaluable.By the way where is the sunset scene taken What a beautiful picture x
 
clifford149 I'm afraid to ask how you got that Vit D on your legs.... LOL
Kim22 Thank you for encouragement-- :) Who's BM? I'm thinking you mean "BS"? That I know :)
The photo is taken on the edge of Buzzards Bay on Cape Cod-- in Woods Hole, Massachusetts. We vacation there once or twice a year, and are going in May before surgery :) :) :) can't wait!
 
Hi zauberflöte....apparently sunlight is the main natural source of vitamen d...good for bones etc
But you should be in the open air I don't think it works behind glass
Clifford
 
Hi....been an interesting day....first time not spent largely horizontal but seated with leg elevated....I have now notice that I can walk a short distance unaided....I am being cautious....just very short distances...otherwise I walk around a sloping garden with two crutches and one crutch in doors....its now 7.30 in the evening in bed with the very first ice of the day as a precaution...:)
 
clifford149 ok, I know about sunshine. You must have been wearing shorts, is all-- you're braving the chill winds in shorts! My dr has a spiel he goes off on about vitD-- you're supposed to be outside with a large % of bare skin with NO sunscreen for 20 min a day-- well around here that's an invitation to skin cancer. So he says, "do it and come back in 5 years to see me about your skin" LOL
Just seeing your last post-- I can't WAIT to walk on uneven terrain and think it's enjoyable! Go you! :)
 
I was lacking in Vitamin D and my Dr told me 10mins x 3 times a week in the sun is enough. For example, hanging the wash on the line. Which makes perfect sense to me because before my op I wasn't hanging the washing anymore (too far to clothesline carrying heavy washing), my son was. I also think behind glass does count. I remember when one of my babies was born, he had a touch of jaundice and the clinic sister told me to lie him naked in the sun near a window for 10mins a day.
 
Hi Clifford , I must say you have got me thinking about the Vit D issue I haven't been across the threshold since I came back from hospital ut even if I did go out I would need to be wrapped up like Captain Scott so wouldn't absorb much
 
zauberflöte Buzzards Bay looks lovely I be you are so looking forward to going back there.We stayed in Plymouth last year for 4 nights and had a drive onto the Cape it was red hot as it was in July all the Americans we met were complaining about the heat but we weren't as we hadn't seen the sun for weeks back in Blighty The highlight of the holiday was a whale cruise on Cape Cod and we were very lucky as we saw so many whales that afternoon As soon as I got home I had the wretched arthroscopy and shortly after that the arthritis went from mild to bone on bone so really looking forward to recovery to start to enjoy holidays to the full again
 
Clifford - have you slept on your side yet? If not, Have you tried?
 
clifford149 ditto the :shocked: carry a blanket, won't you? LOL
Kim22 do you have any idea how lucky you were to see any whales at all?? Some of my family have been out repeatedly and seen nothing, year after year. I'm glad you did :) And, you'll be back enjoying those trips to the full very soon :) :)
 
zauberflöte Well the Tour Guide stressed how unusual it was to see so many whales all at once She was so enthusiastic about it and the American people on the boat couldn't believe it either but I didn't appreciate how lucky we were. It was wonderful and it was my husbands lifetime ambition to see whales in the wild as well as attending an American football game He follows the Superbowl on TV In October 2010 we saw the New York Giants play at New Meadowlands I even enjoyed the occasion even though I don't care for football American or our own home grown soccer Both my husband and son are fanatics and support Newcastle United
 
Kim22 I HATE American football, it is the stupidest game I know. The Superbowl is only good for the commercials, and you cn watch those online without having to suffer through endless commentary. people do have huge superbowl parties, though, which are great fun-- more food than Thanksgiving sometimes! But I do like "socccer". Lacrosse might be my favorite, with baseball up there too.
clifford149 we're waiting for the Vitamin D "reveal" :wink:
 
Hi zauberflöte,Duffer71,Kim22,Allycat.....

Several strands of topics

1. for the last few nights I have tried sleeping on my side with a pillow but after about 15 minutes it feels uncomfortable but I shall continue
2.related...I can now do 100 small reps of the clam exercise so strengthening the gluteus medius.
3. American football...dangerous to offer an opinion with so many friendly Americans on this site ...all I will say is that I am a fan of rugby football.
4. Today I feel strong enough to walk around the house largely unaided...although very slowly and not a fluent sight
5. Vit.d....from sunshine good for bones...its been sunny but cold here in the uk
Clifford
 
I can now do 100 small reps of the clam exercise
:shocked: That's far, far too much at 3 weeks! Keep that up and you will risk having tendonitis big time. Just because you can do that many now doesn't mean you should!

Save it for week 6-8. For now just do 10 reps in 3 sets morning and evening. That will be more than enough.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom