THR op/post op since 13 march

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonderful news! As I say to my friends...
Slowly but surely, step by step, I move forward a little each day.
 
Yes, good progress Clifford :)
 
Hi Poppet,zauberflöte,Allycat, and hippie friends

I tried using the sticks but did not feel fully comfortable they strain the wrist....today I used just one elbow crutch and that worked well...I also changed my exercise regime rather than resting for 2-3 hours and then walking for 10 minutes and then 20 minutes of isometrics...I changed to 60-90 minutes but half the amount of exercise time...so overall I am doing more...see how I feel tomorrow.

My main wish is why can't I get rid of the knee pain at night it seems if I rest up and sleep it complains after about 90 minutes and that's no change from 2 weeks ago...patience is required I guess...but who would have guessed...you have major hip surgery and the hip and wound are fine but the knee complains!!!
 
clifford149 I'm expecting my knee to hurt worse after. Somehow I don't think they bother to put your knee in a cast before they start pummeling you , and no, NO I do not want to watch the video thankyouverymuch. maybe yours is asking for more ice? :) chris
 
Often the reason for Knee pain may be due to how the knee may be used during the surgery when moving and dislicating the hip and also there is. Still so much realignment that occurs for at least 18-24 months post surgery.

You will get there, there is no way to hurry the healing process up. One can strengthen muscles, stamina and improve energy.. time and patience grasshopper :)
 
Hi Poppet and zauberflöte....thanks for the reality check + its all small beer in the great scheme of things.....I have just ordered the ice bucket minus the champagne :(
 
clifford149 well, why not get the champagne too, and pop it open and spray it all around? Have a little fun. Shake it first. Go outside!:wink: :loll: We'll all stand around and watch, and cheer you on :) And laugh at you.... :) :) And then you'll spray us. And then we won't be laughing any more.... :) :) :)
 
Did someone say champagne.... I Luuuv champagne... Sleep well Cliff :)
 
Hi

The one crutch appears to be working well as is the more frequent exercising..I even used a 2.5 lb ankle weight yesterday.

I can see how one might become over confident and forget that even though progress is being made we have had major surgery and must respect the restrictions....I can sense that under the stronger. Quadraceps there is still a great deal of delicacy.....:)
 
clifford149 You are so right it's the easiest thing in the world to push yourself too hard as we long to progress but over the past 2 and a half years I have done just that and ended up on the sofa with ice packs and not being able to do anything for days so the progress goes backwards This time I am sticking to exactly to what my home physio tells me to do and to listen to my body I am in no rush I am up to 9 reps 3 times a day of 3 exercises a) hip abduction, b extension and c) flexion on both sides These are a bit of a struggle when taking the weight on the operated side and I am having soreness of the muscles but that is to be expected and I view that as healthy pain, if that makes sense The rest of the time I am just walking around the house with my one stick.You are doing so well with your exercises but getting the balance between doing too much and not doing enough is the hardest thing
 
Hi Kim22....you are so right getting that balance right....I won't increase my reps for several days now to make sure all is well...take care
 
Recovery from joint replacement is a fine balance, both from the physical and emotional point of view... but worth it.
 
I had some knee and leg pain but I do not think it was a bad as yours. It is starting to diminish now. My theory is that our hip muscles are not helping much at all as we go through our rehab. This places a lot more strain on the existing leg muscles to make up the difference, hence the pain and soreness. I did a tremendous amount of leg exercises going in and was surprised with the muscle soreness after surgery. As those muscles that were messed with during the surgery recover, our pain starts to diminish. Well, that is my theory - right or wrong.
 
Hi Duffer71..... I think your theory is quite correct + all the twisting, cutting and general attack on the leg.
...we expect too much too quickly.....patience has never been a great virtue until now ?
 
Hi clifford, it's great to see how well you are doing :)

I had pretty much no hip pain after a few days post surgery but that knee pain done my head in. I couldn't believe how much it hurt, like you, a lot during the night. I think that was the few hours of immobility it just got stiff. I can assure you it does go, mine took ages but that's not to say yours will, we are all so different but it does get better.

Take care

Ann
 
Hi Anniepops.....a big thanks for the reassurance...the lack of sleep that results is also limiting
But am seeing progress so as you recommend I will be more accepting
Thanks..... :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom