Guest viewing is limited

THR op/post op since 13 march

Status
Not open for further replies.
@zaberflote Well, then, a catheter won't be an issue for you since he doesn't use them. Great! I asked the OR nurse to put a smaller one in, as I remember a previous one that sort of hurt, so she said she would. It still made me feel like I had to pee sometimes, but not too bad and only for a day.
You have a couple of months to get yourself ready for surgery. I had to wait 3 months, and did everything I possibly could to prepare. I got every bit of equipment I could need, my husband raised the couch and love seat up on blocks, I cleaned the house and washed everything, etc. I think it helped as there was no scurrying around at the last minute to prepare!
 
ByGosh I sure hope he and I were talking about the same kind of catheter... :wink: Yeah, I have to find out what kind of preparations I need to make-- there's tons of info here, but I am waiting not-so-patiently for a pre-op mailing that was promised to arrive this week at the latest. Maybe I don't have to raise any furniture! Maybe my 5" cushion that I've been using for 12 years will do the trick! I won't know what questions to ask clinical staff till I get that darn packet!:) And I'm supposed to wait till one week before surgery for the medical supply people to call. I may have to be pre-emptive on that one... you are a really good influence on me, I really appreciate your help! :) chris
 
Hi
1. Some os prefer not to use catheters as part of their infection control regimes

2. Sticks and canes are used interchangeably in the UK...although a cane is usually associated for people with sight issues...a white cane
3. Otherwise its a case if tomato and potato and colour and tap and boot and trousers :):)
 
Hi...day 9

1. Another rubbish night although my swelling does not look bad by the evening the knee is very uncomfortable..with some moderation from ice although the codiene-paracetemol appear fairly useless
2.still my leg feels stronger...I can in prone position lift my leg and adduct left then back to the midline fairly painlessly and while on my sticks I feel I could nearly walk unaided...

Clifford
 
My knee was bothering me by the end of the day yesterday. Still using walker but is this a typical thing in the progression of getting better?
 
Hi...sorry you are a mutual sufferer.....of course the ice and elevation help...I am going to ask my Gp for some tramadol
For the evening. ..still progress is being made :)

Try some hand massage around the knee and upper thigh as well
 
Hi Clifford Have you thought about some anti inflammatories to help bring down the swelling and inflammation along side elevation and ice itI may also help with the pain ?
 
Hi Kim.....thanks for your advice just spoke with my Gp and she has prescribed tramadol
So will see how they go....I am overall still pleased with my progress....but as the mods keep telling us
Keep the pain under control :)
 
Hi Clifford glad you are making good progress and hope the Tramadol help to keep you ahead of the pain I am day 3 and taking 30mg Codeine and 1 gram Paracetamol 4 times a day as well as Naproxen 500 mg twice a day.i have no pain when sitting or lying still a bit of pain about a 3 when walking which goes up to a 5-6 when first getting up and starting up or lifting the foot on my operated side up or the worse pain is getting on and off the bed.Happy days can only get better !
 
Hi Clifford, sounds like you are doing very well! Don't be in too much hurry to move off the crutches. It's important to build up your strength and not develop a limp again. Good for you getting more pain control. Also critical so that you can get more mobile. Hang in there - everyday gets better!
 
Hi clifford149 Thanks for the explaination of canes and sticks! I'm glad you have the tramadol to help with pain. My knee and lower leg is hurting me, too. I think it's because I was walking "wrong" from the arthritis and now with the new hips, my walking must be "corrected" - or at least different. I hope it goes away at some point!
Congratulations Kim For having your surgery over with! How is everything going for you? Are you home? I'll have to find your thread and check it out.
 
Hi guys...I slept better last night but I cheated by taking a sleeping pill....although I have complained about knee pain I now suspect its my ITB
band as the whole of the outside of my leg is sore...the dislocation process....still I am still making good progress with walking with my crutches...and my isometric exercises...I can work the adductor/abbuductors quite well even by lifting the leg....best wishes everyone clifford
 
Hi Clifford - when do you go for your physio check up? I went the other day for my four week check up and they told me I could stop using crutches and move to a stick outside the house, and practise walking unaided in the house.
 
Hey Clifford-- sleep is sleep! Glad you got a good night. My PT before Christmas told me that my knee pain was ITB, as the ITB will try to help out the weak hip. I'm very glad you are making steady progress :) chris
 
Hi Chris and FB....thanks for your messages

FB...my physio session is next wed that's two weeks post op but of course I am doing my own work out every 2-3 hours then ice
It has been suggested to move from elbow crutches t sticks at 2 weeks depending upon progress...I feel I am close to using one stick ....I am currently doing 10 minutes of walking with elbow crutches....seems like you are making great progress as well as being mum and cook:)
Chris...ITB pain wow its not servere but certainly persistent...and you really notice it while sleeping and the pain meds are not that effective
Regards....clifford
 
Hi Clifford So glad to hear that you had a good nights sleep it makes all the difference to how you feel the next day. How are you getting on with the Tramadol ?
 
Hi...Kim a big thanks for your message.....the Gp only gave me 30 tabs....so I take 2 at 6pm with paracetemol and 2 at midnight with paracetemol
And to be honest I am not aware of any great change in my perception of pain...but as you may see above I now believe the pain is associated with the ITB that goes from the hip to the knee and long its full length is sore...its not severve but enough to keep you awake....just one of those things that only slowly improves.....I hope you are OK?
Best wishes clifford
 
clifford149 Hello, please explain what ITB is. I have pain in my right leg, quite a lot, when I've walked around a bit. It's the upper thigh to the knee, then down the shin. Ouch! Of course, the more I'm up on it, the more it hurts. But now that I'm feeling not so weak, I want to be up and puttering around the house, doing this and that. It's frustrating, because I'm ready to go, but this pain holds me back. Hope it resolves. I've been alternating periods of being up with periods of resting with ice, and it's not so bad as it was. Maybe I'm just doing too much, too soon.

Glad you're doing better and got yourself some sleep! No matter what, the sleeping is a challenge, trying for a comfy position. I just want to lay on my side, curl up and go to sleep, but it hurts too much.
 
[Bonesmart.org] op/post op since 13 march ByGosh, here are a couple of links that will tell you about ITB:

Ilio-tibial band (ITB) issues and pain: exercises
Ilio-tibial (ITB) band information

Hope this is an answer to your trouble. Take care, we care. [Bonesmart.org] op/post op since 13 march
 
Hi ...thanks bottoms hollow....the only issue for ByGosh is the pain that goes down the shin....could that suggest sciatica?

Clifford
PS....some of the exercises for ITB look like they might break the 90 degree rule....is there one that can be recommended that does not?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom