Guest viewing is limited

THR op/post op since 13 march

Status
Not open for further replies.
bottomshollow clifford149 Thanks, guys for the info. I will read it today. Tomorrow I go to out-patient Physical Therapy for the first time, and I'll see if he has any insight. But I appreciate you're concern and help.clifford149 How are you doing? Are you able to get your pretty little border collie back from the borders yet? Are you sleeping any better? I find that I am, but I need a pain pill before I go to bed. Then I'm ok for most of the night.
Weather here in New England USA is still cold. We may have a touch more snow sometime this week, I heard. It's been a long winter here, lots of snow. How is it where you are? What is your location compared to London?
 
Hi...by gosh

1. You must report your pt visit..I go next wed
2. Sky my border collie comes home Tuesday :)
3. Last night was not good but slowly made progress today
I guess we will have up and down days

Take care clifford
 
Hi...I am based 70 miles south of London in a village called rottingdean by the sea
Its cold +1 centigrade....but there's lots of snow north of London...
The coldest march for 50 years!
 
Hi...exercises going well.....I can do a straight leg lift etc....but went to try the clam for gluteus medius... Not so easy of all the muscle groups this is the most problematic.....I think its a particular issue for those like me that had the posterior approach

Clifford
 
I had posterior and agree that would be the toughest. I did lots of leg exercises before surgery and I am amazed how much strength was lost.
 
Hi...yes before surgery I was a clam specialist....not any more but hopefully the prep was helpful...I think they have to split gluteus medius. To get to the joint then they sow up once the kit is fitted? Clifford
 
I have not watched the you tube videos of hip replacement surgery, have you? I did not want to see it prior to surgery. I may watch someday.
 
Hi....yes watched the whole 60. Minutes you get a commentary about why they do what they do..there are also animated videos that are easier on the eye.....clifford
 
I think I will watch it. It will help in the understanding of what we all went through.
 
Hi,
I had my THR on 5th March so am 3 weeks post-op now.
I had incredible pain in my left knee after surgery, so much so they took me to x-ray 6 hours after the op. to make sure no permanent damage was done. I agree that we should be told that knee pain could occur. In my case, the hip joint was fused and my surgeon had a hard time dislocating it, and that would explain the knee pain. In hospital they gave me ice for my knee, which helped a bit and I had the inflatable booties and compression stockings (still have these).
For pain management post-op, I am taking Targin 10/5 (twice a day), Tramadol 50mg (twice a day) and Celebrex (anti-inflammatory). Next week I will be weaned to Targin 5/2.5, Tramadol once a day plus the Celebrex. Hopefully, in another week I will be off the heavy duty meds altogether. I have to say that apart from my knee, I haven't experienced much pain at all and because of that I have been quite active with my exercises, and my physio is really pleased with my progress.
 
[Bonesmart.org] op/post op since 13 march
Allycat, p
lease start a thread of your own in the Hip Replacement Recovery Area. Here is the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting


You will receive the attention to your concerns and questions that you deserve by doing this. I look forward to your first post.

[Bonesmart.org] op/post op since 13 march
 
clifford149 Hello there, chap. I have a difficult time locating individual people's threads in this forum, but I looked back and found you. My out patient PT went well. This fellow is about 62-63, very professional, conservative, kind, doing PT all his life. I had him last summer into fall for 3 mos, so know him well. He gave me a few exercises, did a thorough evaluation, thinks I'm doing too much too soon, and that my leg pain is from doing too much and not using my cane. He said to keep on the cane, I'm still healing, my muscles were weakened and are now hurting. He says there's no hurry, I need to heal. He says if it hurts, I did too much. Also tells me not to do any exercises if they cause pain. Sounds logical. So I'll go easier and not rush getting off the cane so much. I don't need it for balance or stability, so I thought I could do without, but he says it gives the leg a little help so it's not stressed so much until it builds up it's strength.

Please explain to me this "clam" exercise that you and Littlejem mentioned. I have never heard of it. Where are those muscles located? Is that a universal term do you know, or one from your side of the pond???

Glad your lovely pup is coming home to you tomorrow. She'll be so happy and you'll love her company. Just don't over do the walking her about. Got to keep that knee from flaring up. :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Allycat, ByGosh,

I also suspect that knees are further aggravated by the common problem of increase in leg length that then puts stress on hamstrings and the ITB....but we persevere because we can see from more advanced hippies a pain free future lies ahead :) As for the clam your best bet is start your own thread and one of the mods will post several different links one of which covers recommended exercises...best wishes
 
Hi...I gave in last night and took a sleeping pill that's two in 12 days so not bad...I am going out today as a car passenger so want to be as well as possible....going to pick up puppy well she is 14 months :)
 
That's great Clifford it will be great to have your puppy back
 
Hi I am reunited with Sky who was so pleased to see me...apparently she went into her first season because at 14 months that is getting quite late...:)
 
Hi....I am 2 weeks postop. Today hurrah!!!...but when will this knee pain go away?
I also managed 5 laps of my back garden this morning which beats going up and down the hallway.
I am off to the hospital today for my first pt session so all in all progress and 33.3% through my 6 week precautions :)
 
Hi, I had knee pain for a long time too. I used ice on it, then started using Nurofen Gel on it. As part of my pain management, I am also taking Cellobrex, an anti inflammatory. It has settled down now.
 
Hi Allycat, and all hippies

My first pt was more of an assessment of what I could and could not do but because I have followed all the advice from this site and was able to demo all the moves she was impressed.....so its really just more of the same...rest...exercise....elevate....ice....meds :)
 
Hi...another sleepless night but at last I did practice laying on my op and unop sides....not completely comfortable but makes a change...I am going to start using sticks today and leave the elbow crutches so that's also progress :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom