THR op/post op since 13 march

Status
Not open for further replies.
clifford149 well I never came back here to see what else you'd written! I don't have a smartphone but my son lent me his tablet, the result of which you have already seen. My immediate post-op pic would have looked just like yours-- and I know that tablet has a camera, but I couldn't make it work yesterday so how would we expect me to make it work 5 minutes out of recovery? I mean...??
I had a little bottle of specail wash I was to use the night before, and did, and into clean sheets/PJs/clothes. Only meds restrictions I had were the "no herbal for a month (two weeks??), no NSAIDs for a week, and the morning of the op only heart, BP and reflux to be taken" one.

My dear man, I am feeling the most delightful craving for......RHUBARB!!!!! I must see if i can find some in the grocery store! How will I accomplish this?? I'm not out doing the shopping yet! Who, oh who, will bring me my RHUBARB?? Must. Be. Fresh. None of this tinned nonsense....
 
Hi zauberflöte....rhubarb.....second only to plums....in fact I like rhubarb so much I grow it in my garden ..see PIC....I went to check this morning but still not ready....I am not sure I have seen tinned rhubarb?.....a nice but strange combination is ruhbarb with cooked Strawberry's....take care chris
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] op/post op since 13 march
    IMG_20130602_090038.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 173
Hi clifford149 I hope all well with you.You will find tinned rhubarb easier than tinned plums Even our village Spa shop stocks them, I know as I have used them recently to make a crumble
 
clifford149 I get it! You're going to ship me rhubarb when yours is ready!! And yes, strawberry-rhubarb pie is a staple around here. Tinned rhubarb-- Kim22 really? who knew? Clifford, see, it was a joke-- I'd never heard of tinned plums before you, so I figured tinned rhubarb was just one stop too far... LOL
How are you doing? Do you have 'the forgotten hip" yet?
 
zauberflöte I did say our your thread, I believe, that if we mentioned rhubarb around clifford149 he may have it in his garden and even show us a picture of it, didn't I? Thanks for the picture clifford. Lovely.
 
Dear Hippies...this is my magic 12 week postop report:

1. yes 12 weeks today...my hip is not quite forgotton....i have a very slight groin pain if i push the 90 degree rule to its limits eg putting on my socks. Sitting down on a low toilet i need to be a little careful...otherwise i would say iam 95% back to normal.
2. after about 15 minutes of walking i need a short rest but that was always the case and can then carry on for another 30 minutes.
3. iam swimming for 45 minutes but then get bored...yet to cycle on a road (need to get the bike out)
4. went back to work last week but as a university researcher not a problem
5. standing up having sat down for awhile there is stiffness
6. i can say that since the op the only pain was my op knee and a sore ITB both went away largely after 4 weeks
7. at night since week 8 i dont worry any more about breaking the 90 degree rule... as with all hippies the fear of dislocation and blood clots were on my mind but the risk is very low...although i also appreciate that there is still a risk if i do something really stupid !!!
8. I had my last PT yesterday and she was impressed with my progress....my tip to all new hippies is...do the exercises religously and ice ice ice..after the first few weeks life will get better if you had a straight forward replacement and were reasonabley fit before hand...mine was so straight forward i was not even seen by any OS!
9. just like to end with a big thanks to the Mods and also Kim22 ByGosh zauberflöte Allycat and Teacat and many other great hippies...xxx
10. as for the future well my big toe is giving me problems and the base of both thumbs are hurting...so we cant win really!!!
 
Hi clifford149 It was great to read how well you are doing.I love the fact that you can swim for 45 minutes which is phenomenal It sounds like your favourite method of keeping fit is cycling so its got to be time to get on your bike at the weekend especially since the weather is so good at the moment.

I am impressed that you can put your socks on. I still need the sock aid for my operated foot but don't feel that it will be long before I will banish the aid to the back of the wardrobe.Its amazing just how the ROM returns little by little.It will be a red letter day on Monday as I will be 12 weeks and I can get rid of the toilet raiser and sleep on my none operated side. At last I have an appointment to see my OS or someone on his behalf as I have an appointment next Friday.

Sorry to hear about your big toe and thumbs. Is it O/A ? I hope you find something to help the pain

Wishing you a great future with your new hip and please keep us up to date with your progress. Regards Kim
 
clifford149 Very wonderful 12 week report! Congratulations on your great recovery. You put a lot of hard work into getting well and getting back your strength and your walking. It's cheering to hear that you can do so much - swimming, walking and before you know it, you'll be cycling as well. Wonderful progress. Keep up the good work, good luck with that toe (I have an OA great toe that can be the dickens with pain sometimes) and good luck with the wrists. Don't forget about us. We'll be happy to know how everything goes this summer. Take care, you've added a lot to our forum, and quite a few chuckles that were just plum funny! :)
 
*ZF leaps into room brandishing a chef's knife and a large bunch of rhubarb* ok, clifford149 we can get this over quickly or we can draw it out... you want rhubarb crisp or not??
Your magic 12 week update sounds fabulous! Sorry about the boredom at 45 min swim, is that your regular distance anyway? And hope you get the bike out for a spin very soon.
I particularly appreciate your #8 :) Hoping to follow in your footsteps, although I don't have a dog...
All in all it sounds like you are, as you say, extremely close to back-to-normal.
It's been an honor and a pleasure laughing here with you, and having your eye on me has given me confidence-- you cheered me up both pre- and post-op! I'll miss you :)
 
clifford149 I would think that instead of a knife, your digits could be controlled with a little anti-inflammatory medication, or anti-inflammatory cream? Just a consideration....
 
Hi ByGosh yes taking anti's but no relief .....holding sticks/crutches during recovery was the starting point of the pain...already done the research.. But will wait until next year.
zauberflöte a great swimming tip....is swimming on your back with your legs doing a cycle motion...the support of the water really enables you to establish ROM...:)
 
Great update clifford149... Sorry that it sounds like Mr Arthur Ritis is in toes and fingers.. Gosh he can travel... I so relate and sympathsize :)
 
clifford149 I like that swimming idea! I'll tell you how it goes-- I've just been told nope, no swimming because it conflicts with the restriction you didn't know you had... so, after July 17th :) :) splash!
Sorry about the Arthur in hands/toes. yeah, I was glad I didn't have to clutch my cane/stick for long-- I would have had the same result. Perhaps it will subside :)
 
It's bound to get better now that you don't use your sticks anymore clifford149 - They were creating stress on those hand joints. But how did you manage to hold your sticks with your toe and walk around? That I'd like to see...:)
 
clifford149 I have had Arthur in my hands for years and use of the walking sticks did the no favours but I they were so much better when I switched to palm grip canes specially made for people with arthritis.I am much better now I have stopped using the sticks. I am sure yours will settle down too in time
 
clifford149
Way to go! :yay: Your 12 week report sounds fantastic! Sorry to hear about OA in fingers & toes but I'm hoping they will ease up for you now that you don't need the sticks! You have really done so well with your recovery and have given us all a laugh about the plums. I swear, every time I see a plum (fresh or tinned) I will think of you! You have forever changed my view of tinned plums and if I can ever find a can, I will try them. Here's to hoping we all forget our hips!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom