PKR Oops, I did it again...Round 2 complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have fun on your outing! I love getting out and running around! My problem is my class is holding me hostage! :) Ok, not literally, actually we purchased a 2014 Polaris to do off roading and it is fun to drive! I love it! :happydance:
 
Hmmm, here I am waiting for your hospital part 2 update. I could do a nice sitcom about 8 days on an NHS gastro ward. I need cheering up so when you're ready Bionic woman2 :)
 
Hi friends, well ever since the dr told me about the younger ones taking longer, I feel like a monkey has been lifted of my back. So all I needed was a visit with my grandson. He rocks my world. I also thinks my scar is cool. Anyway, back to work tomorrow. Pain Pain go away, come back like never. I also used up all my acupuncture. So who know what this week has in store for me.... Good Night All.
 
Part 2 of My Surgery Day (It’s long and drawn out… but you asked for it.)​

Wow! It’s been almost 3 weeks since I had my second knee done. Since then I have been experiencing a great recovery, minus the ODIC day, that set me back a bit, but THAT’S LI-IIIIIFE! :whistle:

Anyhoo, where was I? Oh Yes, I finally got a bed and had my legs strangled by the Ted hose. My kids were allowed back and we were whisked off to Pre-op room. I guess this first area was the Pre-pre Op room, or the HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT room, since I subjected to the trash can leg scrub. Maybe at this point some patients turn back. That’s one way to deal with over-booking. If you missed that little detail of my saga, do go back and read Part 1 of my surgery for clarity. :what:

So I’m gliding through the hall like the Queen, and I decided to add the wave for the full effect… couldn't resist.:wink: My son decided to videotape it. I don’t know what the big deal was, doesn't every one “do the wave” as they ride off to surgery through the corridor in a hospital bed? :shrug: One guy had the nerve to sarcastically say, “What, are you in a parade?” I responded to my attendant… “He’s quick! Can’t put anything by him.” We laughed all the way to “the point of no return” where my kids were dismissed and I was wheeled inside.

The next segment was really uneventful. Vital check, easy IV insertion! That’s usually a problem, but the nurse got it in on the first try. Well, she spanked the **** out of my hand, so she had BETTER gotten it in quickly. I then met doc, the ane$the$iologist and I was wheeled into surgery. I remember getting the spinal, because it took her like 48 sticks to get it right. :gaah: On number 49 I felt a nice warm sensation moving down my hips to my legs. It was like I was wetting myself, but without the guilt or urge to race to the bathroom. I guess that made the impromptu acupuncture session worth it. I was hey! Let the good times roll. Lol

Fade to black​

I woke up to a sensation of pulling and tugging on my surgical leg. Yep, they were putting in the stitches. Or, as the nurse said, “they’re just putting in the zipper.” She was a little shocked at first to see me awake. I can’t say that it hurt with all that I was on :martini:, but I could have lived without experiencing that. I was told that my OS had left to speak with my kids and was transported to the recovery room… no wave this time.

Now, after re-reading through my surgery packet I realized that my stay in recovery was standard. Howeverrrrr, at the TIME! It went a little something like this, my nurse was interesting. I can’t quite find the words to describe her, or most of the people I met from this point on. My son’s word for everything is "bootleg." Lol I’m not sold on that adjective for them, but a few of them have a little role reversal going on, like they’re the patients and in need of attention. I remember this particular woman speaking to me like I should be alert, and of course I wasn't quite playing with a full deck right out of surgery. :rolleyes: All I wanted to do is see my kids and get to my room.

It seemed like this was about to happen… when the head nurse, I’m not sure of her exact title, Ms. All That seems appropriate, since she decided to take the FULL attention of my recovery nurse away from me and hold a job review session. I kid you not. “So how do like working in this department? You’ll find that BLAH BLAH BLAH! What about the other floor you were on? Now the difference with this department and your previous one is….. I think you’ll like it here better.” Yes, my nurse and her boss were having a performance review right here in the recovery room! From what I could gather (being drugged and aggravated) was my nurse had some sort of issue where she was and was now working in this department (which would explain why she seemed new.) Anyway this meeting went on for at least 30 minutes. I remember interrupting to see if I could get someone to check on my kids. I wanted to let them know I’d be out soon, because I KNEW they were growing as impatient, as I was!! “Oh, I think they went to your room, that’s where they’re usually sent” Okay, well can I-iiii go to my room and miss the remainder of this “Apprentice” episode.

Well, when “Ms. I know how to abuse my power” was done with her housekeeping meeting, she turned and patronizingly said to me, “Enjoy your family.” :hairpulling: My nurse now free to do her job, called to check to see if my room was ready. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Of course it wasn't but good thing I had my bed, because I wasn't about to be standing up again. :no-fin: Finally after 2 hours, I was taken to my room. When I got to the room, it looked awkward and as I looked around the room everything seemed reverse. I was told that I was on the “overflow” floor. The nurse said to me (and I kid you not) “Since you couldn't wait for your room to be ready, we had to put you on the overflow floor.” :skep: I knew we were gonna be BFF’s from that point. I said, “I did wait, for 2 hours!” :gaah:Looking back I realize that’s the standard time-frame, but you’re usually still under when they wheel in to the recovery room. I also realized that manners and empathy were in short supply in this young lady’s character. This is the one my son used the term “bootleg” to describe and he wasn't even there to experience our exchange. Nope, he missed that moment because they were told to go home after my surgery was done. Or at least that's what they heard. :skep: Now I know why I was so antsy to speak with them when I came out of surgery.

Well they came back with their grumpy selves acting like they had just had surgery. I say 2 rounds of Empathy training for EVERYBODY! Basically, as far as the nurses and attendants go, it’s like they anticipate you being difficult and they've developed the “get them, before they get you mentality.” Once I realized that, I defused that bomb with my humor, which was lost on some… but you can’t win’em all. :shrug:
When my kids returned to the hospital, I had to send my oldest and non-thinking one back to the car to get my things and Oreo pound cake I made the other night. :yay: While I was enjoying my delicious post-surgery treat, my CPM machine arrived with the paparazzi. The nurse informed me that there was some new-fangled way to get a patient on to the machine and wanted to try it out on me. The thing was they needed to demonstrate it with a room full of staff members. I guess it was training day. I said, “If I say no you’re gonna do it anyway right?” She said, “No, you can refuse.” Well just then the CPM guy said from just outside my door, “Well she’s got to get on it anyway!” EXCUSE YOU!:gaah: I said something like, “I JUST HAD MAJOR SURGERY, WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR KNEE REPLACED YOU CAN DECIDE IF YOU WANT TO GIVE TUTORIAL THE MINUTE YOU GET BACK TO YOUR ROOM.” :hissy: They went away. lol

The thing is, they make you wait for everything… a bed, a room, but the minute they’re ready to roll, it’s STAT! Not to mention I’m ALL DRUGGED UP, stop talking to me like I’m supposed to make sense and acting like I’m being difficult and I won’t cooperate. Um, I just had my knee slit open and my bones sawed off, I’m DONE COOPERATING for a minute. Just trying to relax… “Please Don’t Kill My Vibe.” :egypdance:

I guess after I bit the CPM guy’s head off, he came back with a whole new pleasant, let’s server the patient attitude.:puppysmooze: He had all kinds of handy tips like, “Don’t leave the ice on for more than 18-20 minutes or you’ll freeze the joint.” :umm: Okay, That's a good one. :loll: I refrained from commenting. He also stressed the importance of exercise. I then told him this was my second knee. It seems that whenever someone hears that you've had knee replacement surgery they instantly stress the importance of working really hard during P/T. I think if they could, they’d have me drop and give’em 10! Speaking of which, guess who was the first person I saw when I was rolled onto the “overflow” floor, doing the Queen wave this time? THE JOINT CLASS LADY! She remembered me… ya think. :rotfl:

All in all, I had a great stay after I broke the ice, went Wu Tang and soothed savage beast in them and myself. I also saw the nurse from my first surgery; she’s the one who wanted to know “if she did anything to offend me.” I played sleep the minute I saw her.:zzz: Lol I was SO not in the mood to be her Dr. Phil, Oprah is not on today… PDKMV (please don’t kill my vibe.) Later on she came in my room and said, “Weren't you here before on the other floor?” I said yes, and “dosed” back off. :sleep: My night nurse was a man, I thought he’d be an issue, but he turned out to be the best of them all, :yes!: with the exception on CCM (I think it’s called.) She was a very nice woman, we had things in common… like sense and we bonded. :angel: So the overflow floor turned out to be pretty good experience after all. I remember my spirit being in such a state of peace… I'm glad I had to wait.
 
Re-post Pink​

JDonovan I don't think she took it that way. Bionic woman2 I am speaking for you here. I hope I am conveying what she actually meant. This is what I took from what she said...it really doesn't matter how good the surgeon is. When the surgeon assaults your bone the way they do to place the prosthesis your body will react to that assault. It doesn't matter if you have a 4 inch scar, 8 inch scar or a 12 inch scar. Some people have easy recoveries and others have difficult recoveries.

Have you watched a You Tube video of the surgery? Do you know what they do to your knee? It is an outright assault. If you don't need to know what the OS does to your knee with a TKR then please don't watch it. I watched it. I wanted to know exactly what my surgeon was going to do to me. My OS told me when he came to visit me after surgery that I had strong bones. I took it that he really had to work to fit that new joint on my bone.



JDonovan, "What she said." :flwrysmile: Right now I'm having a great recovery with knee #2 and I keep forgetting ALL that was done to it and me in general. It's probably because my spirit is so high and I haven't watched the video yet. I'm waiting for my boys... we're gonna have popcorn. :rotfl:

Seriously, it was such a great recovery just 2 weeks out I was beginning to think I could be on "It's a Miracle" with Benny Hinn. Then I did one thing too many and my knee is now stiff and painful. :cry: Oops, I did it again for real!

Do you wanna now what I did???? I was up using my CPM machine while I had my laptop propped up in front of me as I posted on Bonesmart. That's the equivalent of "texting and driving." lol If that wasn't it enough, then stop the machine at some odd angle and continued to type like I had a book deadline or something. Then my girlfriend picked up and took me to run a couple of errands, the biggest of which was a trip to the grocery store. I rode in the Hoveround thing. I had a magnificent time, but the damage was already done before I left the house. I knew it, my leg felt different when I put on my jeans and by the time I got back home... I was in "rehab!" :sos:

THAT'S ALL, I held my leg in the wrong position too long, It doesn't take much in the beginning. :headbang: Hence, WHY I HAVEN'T BEEN POSTING MUCH.:tantrum: I bet I sat my multitasking behind down somewhere after that and sang, ICE ICE BABY! Oh, and I'll BE seated till my P/T get here tomorrow morning with her magic hands. :puppysmooze:

I think the fact that you have a renown OS is great. I do think that he may have a sports-timeline-healing-mindset, which will probably not be beneficial to your recovery, but who knows.:shrug: All I know is my body NOT athletic, so I'm not about to race to recovery like the Giants need me on starting line-up next Sunday. lol Although it might help them. :rotfl: :cry:I'm a New Yorker... WHAT ARE WE DOING!? :gaah: Anyway, this is Roll Tide's thread, so I'll cry on mine. :boohoo:

JDonovan just like us, the recovery is trial and error. We never know what are knee is ready for until we try. We've just abused our ODIC card so much that we want to prevent anyone from going down the same path,:no-fin::no-fin: but it's your path to travel. We will be here with you every step of the way. :friends:
 
Well,

What a story! As for trial and error, I am still dealing with that! On Friday, Hubby and I went to a quaint little town to buy a Polaris! :happydance: Well, they are known for their hills there, and the Polaris that was screaming my name was at the bottom of the hill with lots of rocks and stuff between the two of us! I forgot all about my knee, when I saw that shiny metallic red glistening in the sun! :heehee: unfortunately, my kneecap did not want to make the trip down with the rest of my body; it shoved itself out to the side :shrug: causing Sonja to become a tad irritated! :headbang: It needs to remember, "I am in control, well when it lets me anyway!" :rotfl:
 
doesn't every one “do the wave” as they ride off to surgery through the corridor in a hospital bed?

Chuckle. Trouble with the wave is that it can be misinterpreted. The Queen sort of does it with palm facing inwards - it says HELLO. The palm out says GOOD BYE. Given that you are usually pumped full of meds for the op you could do the wrong one. This in turn could lead them to think you were happy with a one way ticket. But I WANT TO COME BACK.

So RaQia to answer your question there's no waving for me. My hands are well and truly under the sheet, along with the rest of me - except for my head. Because again I don't want any misunderstanding.
 
@Rest

For some reason, my text didn't show up in my post :hairpulling:

So here goes (again)::headbang:

Yesterday, I go to get in the elevator at my condo complex and out of it steps my neighbor and her husband. He had TKR about 10 days ago (I suspect he is about 60 or so). Here he is carrying the groceries, no crutch, cane or walker, big 'ole smile on his face.:shocked:

So, after reading your posts, I launch into a "don't over do" speech in my best Cliff Clavin "It's a little known fact...." voice :giggle:

I figured you ladies would appreciate that
 
hey I am insanely jealous of your neighbour. ! I can hardly get any bend on my knee and I see my surgeon this Friday ..eeekk!! How can he step out the lift..carrying groceries and no canes or frames ,far out !! I am still staggering around at home with my crutches or frame..I know, I know..don't compare myself to others........says me lying here with an ice pack on my knee.......feeling so fed up ! :gaah::hairpulling:
 
Oh yes, I was told in hospital about someone's grandad who was dropped off at work on his way home from hospital following an old style TKR when they first started them and a friend's Dh hopped on the bus to go shopping 20 miles away, without sticks or frame the week after he came out of hospital. These people do appear to exist. I was also told the latter person wasn't typical as he had no pain before or after TKR. Go figure!
 
My P/T just left making "all things right" with her magical hands. JDonovan, I bet if I wanted to I could carry the groceries in, but pay dearly for it later. Lol My P/T said men are her worst clients because most of them are stubborn and don't comply. I was wondering why we don't have as many men on this site and wondering if the ratio was off. She said it's about 50/50. So, I guess they have a MODIC card, M being for macho. Gotta check with our prez daughter stalker to see if hubby has one. :heehee:

mrs cricklewood, you're not alone. Remember ICE ICE BABY is our theme song. The grocery carrying guy is a dude showing off, he's happy to be getting his male ego on. Good for him, I'm sure a whamubulance-whine11 man would look good one him. Although men tend to lean that way when they're sick. No offense to my male Bonesmarties, but you know it's true. lol I wonder if he carries the groceries in on a regular basis? :skep: Ooo and I bet he has an ice pack just like the rest of us mere mortals. :yes: Even if he's healed already, he is the exception, not the rule. You have the rest of us "slow and steady" people recovering at a snails pace right beside you. :console2: I was so scared that I messed up my newborn knee over the weekend going ODIC. I was extremely happy that I didn't lose any ROM, just paid the painful price of foolishness.

JDonovan, I am sooooo proud of you... REPRESENT GIRL! :yay: You'll bring in your groceries when you're good and darn ready! I hope your neighbor was receptive of the information :martini: you shared. Just so you know, "information" is code word for alcohol... Long story. It's school teacher slang. Lol I made it up a couple of years ago. :cheers2:

patient 99, as far as the wave goes, I did both. I turned my hand ever so gently revealing my palm and the back of my hand. So, I guess in essence I was saying, "hello, goodbye." :heehee: I got my royalty training from the movie, The Princess Diaries, I'm an expert. :yes: I made sure not to wave excessively and show my non-Michelle Obama arms. I actually resemble her in the face and stature minus 20 lbs. I've been told told that I can impersonate her, so your joke the other day was right on target. I always respond with, once I do the wave the gig is up!... and the crowd roared, IT'S NOT HER! I envision the Secret Service jumping over huddles to get to me shouting, "SHE'S GONNA DONTHE WAVE, SOME BODY STOP HER!" :rotfl:

RestAssured, how's my driving? :umm: call 1-800-SMILEYS :loll: Speaking of driving, I had to Google "Polaris" since I'm a City Girl. I hope your knee is recovering from your ODIC "going into the light" experience. :headbang: Slow your roll mama. Lol Seriously, enjoy your Polaris you've earned a Joy Ride. :happydance:

I'm about to enjoy a little rest from my labor in the form of a NAP! My P/T added a new quad exercise today that worked me over, but it was a good pain. It felt like... I actually have muscles and I'm getting in shape. :egypdance:

Hope everyone is having a Kneeeasy day! :flwrysmile:
 
Dabber, I guess these people have miracle tissue in their bodies that heals faster and differently than the rest of us. Hmmm :umm: I don't mean to sound cynical, but I don't buy it. What did their human body do after they jumped the gun? Anyone can push themselves past their limits, but how many times can you get away with it? It's like going without adequate sleep, after awhile our body speaks up. :thud: I'd like to hear from these people myself, I'm sure their story would have a couple of valleys in it. It's only natural. Even when we hear folks on this site talk about a speedy recovery, a few posts later when their body catches up to them, it's a different tune. I was Whistling Dixie last week. :whistle: Then reality caught up to me. To the few, the proud, the Marines... More power to'em. I just want to be sure I'm on the right track and my healing timeline is normal.

I think athletes are a special breed, but even they go thru a recovery period with intense pain and training, they have mega drugs to get them through it. And people wonder why they're on steroids. :doh: It's for the PAIN! Right daughter stalker!

All I know is, my second knee is doing much better than my first knee. Granted my right knee was worse off from the start, but I have two different scars done by the same OS and the knee that I practiced the Bonesmart approach from day 1, looks and feels much better. So, somebody else can carry the groceries for a while... I sneak into the kitchen into the kitchen and cook though. :egypdance:
 
Re-Post Pink​

inthebeginning, OUCH! I've never seen the machine they use for a MUA on the knee, but this hip thing sent chills down my legs. :scary:

Butterfly, Part of my reluctance to let those home health care people into my house is that my house is a mess right now. I know that is silly and they are not coming to judge my housekeping or lack thereof - See more at: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/butterfly-flutters-over.21447/page-4#sthash.nKuTJKLF.dpuf

I've given up! My kids Clean DOWN faster than I Clean UP! My house is a disaster and I tell anyone who comes to see me, "don't look over there, don't look over there... Eyes forward, we're right here." Lol if they need to use the bathroom, they're gonna have to sit on my throne because the boy's/guest bathroom is OFF LIMITS! I wouldn't send my worse enemy into that toxic dude zone. :no-fin:

I totally get you, and I barely have guests in my home, let alone my bedroom. So, the in home P/T person was something I had to get over. I remember crying one day because I just didn't want him in my home. He was creepy :eeeuw:, bland and I did not like him. May he NOT come to your house. :rotfl: Thank God my son was on summer break. I love my new P/T I have with my second surgery. Turns out my first P/t really didn't do his job. He basically watched me exercise and pushed me past my limits with his commands. I have two different scars to prove it. :gaah: Live and learn right. This was before I became a Bonesmartie. My new P/t tells me not to worry not to worry about the house. She said it looks good considering two young men live there. I've never ran around in a French maid costume with a duster to begin with, so I'm doing my best to FORGETTABOUTIT! I've had to turn off my mommy super hero power of "Seeing the Dirt, Others leave behind" and focus on being the Bionic Woman. I'm recovering from a major surgery, so... when can, I do.

Along with the 2nd surgery came a "who gives a $&)@" disposition. I now allow people whom I trust, to see my dust. HEY! I just made that up... I like it. Lol Think I'll Re-post Pink this. :heehee:

Milli, I hope things are going smoother for you and your in-home P/T person meshes with your personality and has the Bonesmart mentality.
 
I do think that many of us let the housework go pre-TKR because we just couldn't do it. I do remember a time when I got down on my knees to clean....it's a distant memory.
You've been holding down a job and keeping 2 sons going, with 2 bad knees.
Sue.:gaah:
 
:yes: and trying to start a baking business on the side... :umm:lol My do I hear the theme song from "Wonder Woman" in my head. Shut Up daughter stalker! :rotfl:

Sue, I hope to one day return to all of that minus the pain. Oh and the kids can go away too... and let's just have one job, a Bakery.

This is the last big cake production I made in June, a couple of weeks before my surgery. It was for my nephew's college graduation. I then came home and did a whirlwind college tour with my youngest; those were the days. lol
[Bonesmart.org] Oops, I did it again...Round 2 complete!


These survived the plane ride.
[Bonesmart.org] Oops, I did it again...Round 2 complete!


...and I made these for his fraternity. I MISS doing this.... Sigh. :cry: One day I'll Be Back like Arnold.

[Bonesmart.org] Oops, I did it again...Round 2 complete!

This was their slogan. <3 him. He's gonna be a doctor. :egypdance:
[Bonesmart.org] Oops, I did it again...Round 2 complete!

Okay, enough reminiscing. I'm already hungry. I haven't a real breakfast or any lunch yet.
 
Gorgeous cakes! :yay::yay:I like baking too. Are they red velvet cakes? I made some for our ruby wedding party.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom