TKR Onwards and upwards - my journey continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning Pat, that gives you time to work on your exercises so hopefully you will see a difference by the time you get to physio again. It sounds like you have made a great start.The hard bit is getting into a routine so that doing it becomes automatic. I am in a really good routine at the moment but I know it will go out the window when I go back to work. My plan is to try to do my exercises on the days I don't work and do whatever I have the energy for on working days. You are absolutely right, everything helps. Just enjoy each day and do your best,
hugs, Toothfairy x :SUNsmile:
 
Thanks TF for your positive comments. Im sure you will find it more difficult once you are back at work. I know you have always been in a very good routine as regards to your exercise regime. Ive envied that sometimes. Sometimes I need for someone to say Come on exercise now as I admit I can be very lazy as regards getting started. Im trying hard to get in a routine now and I hope it will get easier. I do know its for my own good. I will watch your return to work with interest. Do you sit at a desk all day or will you be more active. Have a lovely Tuesday. Take care.
 
The time will fly by, Pat. If you're doing exercises at home and walking more, you will be fine. I think most people are still increasing their ROM at six months, even if they already have a good one. It's an extremely lucky person who doesn't need an increase in ROM at six months and I am green with envy :heehee:

[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues
 
Oh it's so good to hear everyone's posts about trying to get more exercise and eat right - it's just a constant struggle regardless of my knee! I think yesterday is my first day not icing and it is probably because I didn't exercise at all trying to baby a pulled groin muscle (no idea even how that happened but it's all better after 2 days). If you all get this eating thing figured out let me know - I try to eat right most of the time, but my key seems to be exercise because I just love to eat! :) It's so hot and windy here that exercise is a struggle sometimes - but now I'm in my pool and that is a great change! Some riding, some walking, some swimming and sometimes I just stretch as much as possible. :dancy: Well - good on everyone for working so hard at all of this! :egypdance: We are amazing!
 
Good picture Kathy KathyH
Hi Pat, I have discovered a competitive streak that I didn't know I had. I am competitive with myself not with others.
I do my cycling first thing after doing my stretches before I shower. Then it is done for the day. If I leave it till later I often find that later never quite happens and I spend the whole day feeling guilty but doing nothing about it! I can be very lazy and a master of avoidance! :blush:
The thing that is motivating me at the moment is the knowledge that the second surgery will be easier if both legs are as strong as possible. It also helps with my general fitness and is helping with my weight loss which will help my knees. I am doing it for selfish reasons to benefit me.
I have my exercise bike in the room where I have my computer so I watch programmes on iplayer while I cycle. I find that watching tv keeps me going. Maybe you can find something that will make the time pass while you cycle?
Keep up the good work,
You are a superstar!
Hugs Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :yay:
 
Toothfairy, you have a good system going there. I too cycle before my shower in the mornings. The thought of it when I first wake up spurs me on to get up - I know I only allow myself a certain time to get ready for work and doing the bike first thing really does wake me up.

I have my bike in a corner of the living room - not ideal, but hey ho. I have to have the TV on, otherwise I would be bored rigid. If I find the programme that's on at that particular time is exciting, I tend to cycle faster :heehee:
 
Thanks Kathy KathyH. I am impressed that you manage to cycle before work. :bow:
I am not sure that I will manage that. How early do you need to get up to cycle before work?
I may have to do a home from work or a before bed cycle on work days.
Have a great day, hugs Toothfairy x :bicycle2:
 
Hi robynhood. You said in one of your messages that it is wrong to compare. Of course, you are right, but I find I cannot stop it. Sometimes comparing makes me feel better other times it makes me feel worse.

You also said that your knee was so much better today because you had rested. I am still struggling with this. If resting is the answer, then why don't we all take to our beds for 6 months? Then when we get up all will be well. Sorry, I know this is an exaggeration, and its about finding the balance. But as the knee seems to change all the time its so difficult to know what's too much until its too late.

When I last saw my surgeon his parting words to me were that I needed to push myself more. I don't know what this was based on because he never asked me what I did, still the emphasis was on working hard. When I was in hospital I asked a nurse who were the patients that did badly. Without hesitation she said those who didn't exercise. Similarly, the PTs advocate exercising 3 times a day. Also for the need to keep upping the exercises. Yet the emphasis on Bonesmart is all about REST. Despite some very relevant and helpful messages I still find it difficult to know what to do for the best. Best wishes Pat99
 
Well this morning was weigh in day for Laura and I. Good news is Laura lost 3lbs and I lost 6lbs. So we did really well. I always have a big loss first week. Its this week I will find hard. But as I always say Onwards and Upwards ladies. Wish me luck. :dancy:
 
Hi patient 99 Nice to hear from you. Finding the balance between exercise and rest is difficult in the first few months. We all overdo it even in the later months and as we call it end up in the ODIC (over done it club) it does get easier and it is a good idea to have some rest days every now and then. I am a prime example of not enough physio I was discharged after 3 visits. I am now doing even more exercise to try and improve my ROM. No one said this was an easy recovery and boy that is right. We will all get there in our own time but we will have good days and bad days. Take care.
 
Thank you Shortie appreciated. This week going to concentrate on exercise more to help with diet and the dreaded ROM. Hope you have a good day.
 
Good morning Pat, what an inspiring start to your day, well done to both of you.
That is excellent motivation for the coming week. I think I need to move in with you this week and maybe I will pick up some weight loss tips!
Be proud of yourself, you have earned it. That 6 lbs off will make a big difference to your knees. I am so pleased for both of you.:yay:
Have a great day,
hugs, Toothfairy x :flwrysmile:
 
Woo hoo, Pat, 6lbs off. Am well jel. You are doing great, keep it up. This must give you motivation to keep going. I have done so well this week, but turned into a right little piggy last night :groan: However, I still did my bike and back on the wagon today - today being a 500 calorie day. Might even do 500 calories tomorrow too (normally I do Mondays and Thursdays), but we are going to our niece's 30th birthday party in Kent on Saturday and I will be drinking plenty. There will no doubt be buffet food, which is not healthy. Also be staying overnight at one of my SIL's and they always feed us well. I will try to be strong........but can't promise :heehee:
 
Toothfairy, I allow myself minimal time in the mornings to get ready for work, as I value my sleep too much. I need to leave home for work just after 8 am. If I am washing my hair, I get up at 6:30 am, if not, about ten minutes later. This gives me time to do 15 minutes on the bike, shower, moisturise, get dressed, take Sasha our dog down the lane for a walk and toilet, come back, do my hair, put tinted moisturiser on my face and shoot out of the door :shocked: :heehee: I put the rest of my make up on when I get to work.

When I get home of an evening, I take Sasha up the lane again (my Mum comes round and takes her out each afternoon, we are lucky) and then get straight on the bike for another 15 minutes. Then final 15 minutes before I go to bed.

Sorry for interrupting your thread, Pat :bow:
 
O please feel free KathyH I love to hear how much exercise people do. I tried to do half an hour this morning as advised by the physio but after fifteen minutes I feel Ive done enough or my knee feels it anyway.I will split it up during the day because I don't want an angry swollen knee. Wow you do well in the morning Kathy. With not working for so long now I take quite a while to start going in the morning. Kudos to you. Going on the bike first thing does help me start the day right. Have a good day everyone:)
 
Hi Pat. Just had a whizz through your thread . It's great as I can see the progress of so many people including yourself.
Very informative and encouraging. I've enjoyed. Thank you.
 
Hi Pat - you are doing great! 6 pounds and all the exercise are an awesome start - and if the second week just keeps off the first - that is great results! I think you're smart to split up the time so you don't push to the point of not being able to stick with this. I still am trying to make sure I do something everyday - but it still doesn't always happen. On those days I try to eat a little more healthy and less...sounds good but I'm not always successful. I'm going to my OS June 4th - that left side keeps swelling up - no pain - and I just want to make sure it shouldn't be drained or something. Pat - how do you type in a member name and have it turn blue and underlined? I can't seem to do that and I know that will tag the person. Good luck and I hope this goes really well for you! xoxomicha
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom