TKR Onwards and upwards - my journey continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw Pat, I do feel for you re the problems with seeing Robyn. It's a damn shame that her mother can't see that it's in Robyn's best interests to see you on a regular basis!! Could you talk to the mother direct instead of through your son? She must know what a lovely person you are and that Robyn couldn't have a better nanny/grandmother (don't know what Robyn calls you).

Grrr, some people can't let others live and let live :headbang:
 
Hi Kathy, well its got much more complicated now. Its between my son, his new girlfriend and robyns Mum who are creating a new world war and im in the background being pulled in every direction which ends with me not seeing Robyn regulary.. Hopefully it will sort itself out. Im not even speaking to mark at the moment whose whole world is revolving around his new girlfriend. Its all so complicated and upsetting. ANYWAY..........Physio appt today. Seen by an advanced physio whatever that means. My problems she thinks was from total lack of physio care after op. REALLY ..... I kept saying that. No MUA needed. Supervised exercises in a weekly knee group, more exercise at home. 2 fifteen minutes daily, half hour sessions on bike twice a day, as much walking as I can do and........ Of course........losing a little weight wouldnt harm. So i feel more motivated now I know theres no medical problems. Am very annoyed they stopped physio so quickly. Only had 3 appointments before being discharged. She advised not even to think about second knee being done yet. Sort this one out first. Target for November when I have twelve month appointment with OS is lose weight gain ROM. So here we go starting today a lot more positive and motivated. Wish me luck.
 
Oh no, how upsetting for you. What is Mark's new girlfriend like? Is she being awkward or does she feel in the middle too? I don't know what to suggest other than speaking directly to Robyn's mum. Even if you have to promise if you have Robyn, you won't let Mark know? Is that possible?

Well all those new exercises sound very promising and no wonder you are feeling more motivated now. Good for you. Good news that MUA isn't needed, which is positive. Only three physio sessions from the outset was absolutely ridiculous and now you are paying for it :headbang:

I wish you all the luck in the world, both with Robyn and your TKR knee. I'm really sure that with your new regime, you will gradually see improvement :flwrysmile:

On yer bike :heehee:
 
Hi Pat, good news about your physio appointment today. I was thinking about you this morning.
I am very pleased that they don't think you need a MUA.
That sounds like a lot of exercise. Did they advise you to build it up slowly?
The weekly supervised exercise knee group sounds good, at least a you know you will be monitored and it gives you a good incentive to keep up with the exercise programme. I hope this will be just what your knee needs.
Take it gently and hopefully you will soon be feeling the difference.
Hope you sleep better tonight, :egypdance: :dancy:
Hugs, Toothfairy x
 
O my Gosh. Sitting here thinking about dieting and therefore craving food and have just thought that DESSERTS which is my favourite food spelt backwards is STRESSED. How very very apt. Just thought I would share.
 
Hi Pat. Have just been catching up with your thread & have to say I TOTALLY sympathise with you :sad: The lack of sleep makes any other
" niggles" seem so much bigger. After 5.5 months of very little sleep, I'm finally going back to see my Doctor to see if she can prescribe something more specific for my lack of sleep. As for still having problems with your knee 6 months on, how very frustrating & annoying, especially when, with the right pt care, you might not be having this problem now. I can't fault the amount of physio I've received. I've literally only just been discharged but I still have issues with ROM, extension & various pain & discomfort in the leg, thigh & knee. I find it very frustrating/depressing that after going through this major operation & expecting to be able to get on & enjoy life, there is still obstacles in the way of achieving this. I really hope with your new positive attitude & exercise plan you start to really see & feel that progress is being made AND you start to get some good, quality nights of sleep :flwrysmile:
 
Mutley, they say it takes 18 months to two years for your knee to feel normal. So there is a way to go yet. Five and a half months is still relatively early, although I know it won't feel like that to you. I'm almost at nine and a half months and I still feel a certain amount of stiffness. Fortunately, I don't have any pain, never have had even post-op, but do know that my knee still feels rather alien. As I say, a way to go :whistle:

Pat, you did make me smile about the word desserts. I know that when you start a diet you immediately crave the things you can't have. I suppose it's all in the mind really. The first couple of days are really hard, but if you can get through the first week, you are there. If we can go through all this TKR malarky, we can do anything :heehee:

I'm doing Weight Watchers at the mo, not going, just doing it myself. I refuse to pay just for someone to weigh me and tell me if I have lost or not. It does really help if you have an incentive. Mine at the moment is Russell's wedding. I want to look and feel good in that dress and I want to feel comfortable in it. Your incentive can be preparation for your RTKR.
 
Hi Pat, how is the exercise regime going today? I do know what you mean about thinking about cutting down on unhealthy foods and immediately craving things.
I am going to slimming world and I am finding it is good as there are so many foods you can eat when you are hungry.
It put the emphasis on what you can eat rather than what you can't which I personally find helpful.
Hope you are having a happy Friday,
Hugs Toothfairy x :kittykiss: :happydance:
 
Well a couple of days into my healthy eating and exercise regime. Going to gradually build up on the exercise bike as I havent done it for a while so 20 minutes today. Eating very well. Bacon/chicken salad at bingo today and a lovely healthy win too. Cant beat it. Sitting here watching TV tonight and havent had the usual chocolate and crisps i normally have. So its a good start. Hope it comtinues.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues
and to remind you why you're into a healthy eating and exercise regime. Good for you, Pat. And I love your new avatar----you are looking good!!!!

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues
 
Well no exercise bike for me today. Went to see Karlea and we walked around for a solid three hours without discomfort. Now thats what I call a result. Now home resting and icing. What a lovely day.
 
oh my - I have checked in a few times and having trouble getting any "alerts" so thought no one was posting and off I went! Ha! Wrong! It's been a whirlwind of postings - some good, funny and inspiring and others sad and frustrating! Pat you sound good and positive and working through what needs working through. I am so sorry you aren't getting to see Robyn enough and not speaking with your son has to be so so hard on you emotionally! I'm glad you are having PT and working so hard to get all well. It's tough but our triumphs are wonderful, yes? OK I have missed you. Take good care! xo
 
micha so good to hear from you. I thought you were enjoying your new knee and was getting out and about and too busy to post. Those pesky alerts are confusing sometimes. Hope you are continuing to make good progress and getting out on your bike. The weather is getting so much better now and encourage us to get out more. Ive had my ups and downs but im getting there and hope my future PT will help with my lack of ROM. It was lovely to hear from you I miss our chats. You take care.
 
Hi Pat, great progress with your healthy eating and exercise.
When do you see the physio again to monitor your progress?
You have inspired me to increase my exercise. I am still doing my half hour on my exercise bike every day but have increased my walking and been swimming too. I am also trying to get back on track with slimming world.
Happy Monday,
Hugs
Toothfairy x :egypdance: :dancy: :happydance:
 
Hi Pat, great progress with your healthy eating and exercise.
When do you see the physio again to monitor your progress?
You have inspired me to increase my exercise. I am still doing my half hour on my exercise bike every day but have increased my walking and been swimming too. I am also trying to get back on track with slimming world.
Happy Monday,
Hugs
Toothfairy x :egypdance: :dancy: :happydance:
Way to go TF! how are you finding the swimming? Ive decided that i need to work out a proper home PT schedule and stick to it as i've been flakey as running around at work or wherever and then too tired and sore to do proper 'spot' exercises. My quads are suffering and just not strong enough yet. Fx..
 
Sounds like you are doing really well, Pat. 20 minutes on the exercise bike is well good, as is three hours of walking. Wow, I iz impressed!

After being good for a couple of weeks, I did go overboard at the weekend. We had Russell and his daughter, Kaitlyn staying. It's always difficult to be good when you have company. Oh well, I haven't done too much damage and am back on track today. Am currently doing the 5/2 eating plan. Eat healthily for 5 days (WW 26 pro points and the other 2 days - not consecutive - eat only 500 calories). I thought I would find it near nigh impossible, but it isn't that hard.
 
KathyH that sounds difficult to me. How can you manage to exist on 500 calories a day. I think i would be craving food all day. Do you manage to still have 3 meals a day if so what do you eat?. Very interested because Karlea was talking about doing that before her holiday.
 
I'm really not finding it that difficult. When I'm at work I don't eat until lunchtime anyway. So on these days, which I do Monday and Thursday (last week was the first week). So at 1 pm I have a small bowl of porridge (30 grams) made up with 65 mls milk and 65 mils water. Round about 3.30 pm I have a tin of Weight Watchers soup - amazingly these are so filling. In the evening I'll have another bowl of porridge. I'll have black coffee at work, but one cup of tea with milk (can't stand black tea) at home in the evening.

I fully expected to be Hank Marvin the next day, but very surprisingly I'm not. Mind you, the next day when I can eat 26 pro points, it seems like a feast :heehee:

I'm only doing this 5/2 thingy until Russell's wedding. Then I shall go back to the 26pp a day until I am happy with my weight. Only need to lose 4lbs for my first target.
 
Well my first appointment for physio is June 25th so no hurry then!!!!! So i guess Im on my own until then. I will continue trying to get longer on the bike and concentrate on the exercises twice a day. Im trying to walk more as well instead of from the house to the car. Its all got to help. Didnt think i would be doing this at six months out to get more ROM but then its still early days in the grand scheme of things.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom