Guest viewing is limited

THR One step at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not a reference. Try again.

Since you are only one week out, I'm pretty certain that what you have is nothing more than our old friend, post-op pain. So my next questions are these. It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] One step at a time
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

5. what kind of physio and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! **Reps, sets and sessions** and all that)

** If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of your leg = 1 rep (repetition)
5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set
5 sets and finishing = 1 session.
 
Sorry @Josephine that should have been DR6B, I think I need new glasses as well as a new hip.

so in answer to your questions

1. I think I had antero-lateral looking at the link.

2. Pain levels in right hip (operated side) 1, in left hip they are around 3. When the stabbing pain comes its 8

3. I'm taking Co-Codamol 30mg/500mg. One every 6 hours more as precaution than because I am in pain. Also taking Apixaban 2.5mg at 8am and 8pm.

4. No activity at the moment apart from walking to the bathroom, most of day spent in a chair, having a nap for around an hour mid-afternoon, going to bed for the evening around 9pm. Using the stairs three times a day on average. As I don't like to sit too long I tend to get up and walk to the kitchen and back every hour or so, probably 30 steps there and back.

5. Exercise 4 times a day. 10 reps of each = 1 set
1 sets of each - lift knee,
swing leg forward and back,
lift leg to the side,
raise leg backwards.
Other exercises to be done hourly while in bed, 10 reps of each. I don't wake up to do the exercises during the night, but if I do wake then I will do a set.
press back of knee into bed and lift heels off the bed,
wiggle toes and move feet back and forth,
push leg out to side to maximum limit then push it 1cm more,
clench buttock muscles.

Doctor has just phoned and he assured me its unlikely to be a blood clot, which was my greatest fear, but his advice was to just leave it and see.
 
@Josephine I was just looking through the paperwork I was given on discharge. I don't know if this info is of any use to you, but it says
Treatment/Operation Right Corail on Pinnacle (Dupuy) Total Hip Replacement.

I did google it and it appears the nurse who completed the form has misspelt Dupuy and it could possibly be Depuy. I then proceded to read a horror story that one man went through from having this hip type used. Hopefully its just a one off and not something that happens regularly.

In other news, I've walked up the garden twice today, our garden is about 100 foot long, so thats 200 feet each time.
I'm still waiting for the bath board to arrive, so at the moment just having a wash each day, but my hair is now well past its best, even the dry shampoo has stopped being effective. I'm going to my in-laws tomorrow, they have a disabled wet room, so I'm going to have a shower and wash my hair. I'm also able to remove the dressing on my wound. If its healed then thats fine, if not then I have another to replace it with.

I was talking with hubby earlier, and said how normally I am quite happy just to sit all day long. I enjoy lacemaking so I'd get engrossed in that and forget about time, but at the moment I'm unable to do the lace as it involves bending over the lace pillow to put in the pins in the right places. It then occured to me, that although it appears I sit and do nothing much, I get up to make coffee, lunch, use the bathroom or even have a little tidy now and again. Right now I am beginning to get a little bored, I'm not actually doing much at all. I think I shall have to take up some embroidery or something I can do just sitting.

Another thing I've noticed is the amount of 'stuff' you need while just sitting in a chair. First its a drink, then its a tissue, then I might need a pen to write something down, the list is endless. Hubby is more then happy to help get these things for me even if I am capable of going to the cupboard to find a pen. He just says he doesn't want me to overdo things. I did suggest we could maybe try a little walk up the street tomorrow, but he isn't keen on me doing that until after I've seen the physio next week.

So all in all its been a good day, looking forward to being clean and tidy tomorrow.
 
That's also incorrect! There is no R6B. It on;y goes up to 4!
Pain levels in right hip (operated side) 1, in left hip they are around 3. When the stabbing pain comes its 8
Ouch!
I'm taking Co-Codamol 30mg/500mg. One every 6 hours more as precaution than because I am in pain.
Okay
No activity at the moment. It then occurred to me, that although it appears I sit and do nothing much, I get up to make coffee, lunch, use the bathroom or even have a little tidy now and again.
Exactly so. But that's perfect for you right now.

Your exercises - my comments in bold
Exercise 4 times a day - 4 times a day is far too much - once a day is plenty
lift knee swing leg forward and back- this is okay
lift leg to the side, raise leg backwards - but these are not. Do them once a day only and just do 5
hourly while in bed, 10 reps of each. I don't wake up to do the exercises during the night, but if I do wake then I will do a set - then don't!
press back of knee into bed, wiggle toes and move feet back and forth, clench buttock muscles - again these are okay
lift heels off the bed, push leg out to side to maximum limit then push it 1cm more- But these are not! Do them once a day only and just do 5
I then proceeded to read a horror story that one man went through from having this hip type used.
Where did you read that, on here? Can you give me a link to it so I can check it out for you?
 
My husbans and I have been using walkie talkies. It is alot of fun, especially when I use mine and he yells back at me without bothering to pick it up. Sleeping is a little difficult. I am waking up at all hous but doze back to sleep. Tylenol PM works well.
 
Where did you read that, on here? Can you give me a link to it so I can check it out for you?

@Josephine The story isn't on this site, it was a blog I found, it was two years or more ago, so I don't plan on taking too much notice of it. I suggest others do not read this if easily frightened
https://earlsview.com/2013/02/10/ti...cle-hip-and-another-surgeon-shows-no-concern/

Thanks for your comments I shall cut back a bit on the exercises. They come in a booklet I was discharged with and I've been following instructions to the letter.
I woke in the night again, felt fine until I tried to move to get out of bed for the bathroom. The pain in my left leg was so bad it bought tears to my eyes. It only lasted about 30 seconds or so, but then each time I moved it came again until I was stood up and then all I had was the pinging feeling inside my left leg as I walked. Got back into bed, no pain at all and slept through rest of night. When I woke this morning same thing happened until I was up and mobile.
I'm thinking tonight I may try to put some more pillows behind me so I am more upright rather than laying flat.

In other news, it was a week ago today I arrived at the hospital, feeling very scared. It was one of those I want my mum days. I still wake every day amazed that I have a new hip and its working so well.

I'm feeling a bit low today, didn't want to get out of bed, just had the urge to curl up in the Fetal position and sleep. Of course curling up anywhere is not going to happen so just got up because its what should happen. Perhaps when I've been to inlaws and had that shower and hair wash I'll feel better. Having re-read the instructions I'm not sure if I should take the dressing off my leg today, the instructions say to remove it in 7 days, so I'm thinking 7 days after my discharge. I shall wait until Monday.

I've also developed a huge bruise on the back of my knee joint on right leg. The bruising on my backside and around the dressing are starting to turn a bit yellow. Hope they are not going to cause me any problems.

Having just read back what I've written I can only apologise for my less than upbeat post. I knew I would have a few down days, and I'm guessing this is one of them. Hope you are all well and making progress with your recovery
 
@Liznwiz...I personally find you always quite upbeat! When one of those down days come (as we've been so warned about here on bonesmart), it's much better to voice them here rather than keep them bundled up inside! Whenever I read the post-op journeys here and read about someone's "bad day" it just prepares me more for those days that I'm sure I will experience as well (I will know that I am "normal", if that can be said of me...lol). Bonesmart is a godsend for that very reason! We are here to help one another through thick and thin! Thus far, you have had, what seems to be, a very good recovery and if you didn't experience some bads with the goods, you wouldn't be quite human! Remember, recovery is an up and down ride. :good-bad:
 
You never need to apologize for feeling a bit down @Liznwiz venting is one of the principle functions of this forum... was for me early in recovery, for sure! Sorry, you don't come close in the Pity Party Stakes to me... I had what was known as an EPIC Whine and Cheese Party... you bring the cheese, I have all the WHINE you need :rotfl: It's pretty much part of the roller coaster ride that IS THR recovery:cool:

I had a massive bruise come out on the back of my knee, down my calf... it came out well after the other bruising and was much sorer. Before the bruise came out there was throbbing pain so I convinced myself it was a blood clot .... of COURSE:loll: Nup, just a bruise. Apparently from the manhandling... when I say "apparently" I mean it was apparent - the bruise was a massive hand shape... all four fingers and a thumb! It's where the leg was grasped to dislocate and otherwise manouevre the leg during surgery, :eeeuw: Anyway, it went :)

Hope your shower and hairwashing went well. I live in Australia and was horrified that some people have to wait to have a shower for two weeks... got myself in a right state over it.... then was able to get up and have a shower on Day 1:heehee: it felt so good; and it's another step towards "normal" which is a bonus

Donna :flwrysmile:
 
Perhaps when I've been to inlaws and had that shower and hair wash I'll feel better.
Am I reading this correctly that you're showering and prepping for an out-of-the-house visit? Please use caution with this kind of thing as you are only a few days out of the hospital! I'm concerned about you overdoing things and ending up in pain.
 
In that article, I read this "DePuy, who did nothing to avoid the problem they were having in the first place, selling bad and dangerous parts. My part does the same thing metal on metal does. I hope people will take note that if DePuy lied about one product, what’s to make you think they did not again?" which tells me there was nothing wrong with the implant but by his own report, his second surgeon said the cup was badly placed which was why it kept dislocating. That his first surgeon allowed him to dislocate without doing anything about it was also a factor. all the descriptions about the "all scraped and scarred up" would be on account of the dislocations and the unskilled medics who attempted to get it back into place. So all perfectly explainable but people with no medical training very often reach these outlandish conclusions. In short, there is nothing wrong with the Depur Pinnacle. It's fine but this does make me think of bad workmen blaming their tools! Take no notice of it.
Thanks for your comments I shall cut back a bit on the exercises
Not a bit - a LOT! IN fact, hips actually don't need much exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
I've also developed a huge bruise on the back of my knee joint on right leg. The bruising on my backside and around the dressing are starting to turn a bit yellow. Hope they are not going to cause me any problems.
There's nothing to worry about in that either. It's quite common and the bruises will settle in time. Have a look at our gallery of nice bruises! Bruising after surgery
 
Again I agree with Jamie! did you read the articles that were left for you in post #3 of this thread? One of them was this Activity progression for THRs. For week one it says

Walking around the house. Trips to the bathroom and kitchen are included!
Being up on your feet several times a day as you need to but don't get obsessive about it.
A 5 minute walk every couple of hours is plenty.


So you should not be going out. Not yet.
 
@Jamie and @Josephine thank you both so much for your concern, I did cut back on exercise and I only did one. set yesterday and didn't try so hard. When I got into bed last night I laid flat and within minutes I felt the sharp pain in my left thigh as I moved, so I propped myself up on pillows and although I had some pain when I woke in the night it was not so intense as before.
The trip to my in laws was not as bad as it may sound, I got in the car which was parked right by my front door, I got out after a 5 minute journey right by the in laws front door. They have a similar chair to the one I sit in at home and their bathroom is fully equipped for the disabled, they even have pull down hand rails for the toilet. Having a shower there was so easy compared to what it will be at home when my bath board eventually arrives.
I will admit by the time I got home I really was shattered and did nothing more for the rest of the day, but was lovely to have clean hair, I think it the one thing that always makes me feel better.

I'm now going to look at bruising link you sent, I must have missed that one.

Thank you all for for the advice and help, if I could get rid of this pain in my leg I'd be feeling 100%
 
Good, it sounds like the trip was tiring, but maybe not too much for you then. I'm glad to hear that.
 
I went to the graduation and did fine. I was scared though, being in a huge crowd in the wheelchair. I felt so low to the ground and helpless. I will go for my 6 week appointment on May 24th and I made sure I would see the surgeon, not the PA. This is due to the sciatic nerve damage. I want him to help me with pain. He said it would take 6-12 months for it to heal & feeling to come back. I also have osteoporosis in the right hip. I got a shot of Prolia & am taking AlgaeCal per his instructions. I almost thought he wouldn't do the surgery. Long trip home tomorrow, but it is over. My grandson knows I love & care for him.
 
One week on

So I have been home a week today and thought maybe a little update would be a good idea. I'm feeling incredibly lucky to be in far less pain than I imagined I would be, wether this is because I am taking pain meds constantly or I really don't have any pain I'm not sure. There is that uncertainty of should I wait for the pain then take the pills or should I take them anyway and not have any pain. I opted for the take them anyway path and it seems to have worked well. No pain at all in the right hip (operated one). Shame I can't say the same about the left hip/leg. The worry is now that hospital only sent me home with a weeks worth of Co-Codamol, they will run out today, and I will try taking normal paracetamol for a few days, if I'm in pain or feel that paracetamol isn't working I will go to my GP to get another prescription for the co-codamol.
As for the left hip, its definately feeling like a nerve pain, and although it has improved slightly since it first appeared a few days ago, its not going away and I can now feel a stinging numb sensation almost all the time in my left thigh. Its worse when laying down, so have started to sleep propped up on pillows.
I'm still doing my exercises but cut them down a lot following on from the advice Josephine gave, I have an appointment to see physio on Friday, so will have to see what he has to say then, no doubt after two weeks he will be giving me different exercises to do.
I thought going to my in laws for shower and hair wash on Friday was going to be the highlight of my week, but yesterday both my sons arrived, with partners and children in tow. As my hubby was working late so not home they decided to have dinner out at the pub over the road. Boys being boys they never really considered if I could walk that far, its about 50 yards away over the road. So in the end eldest offered to drive me to the pub! I think it took me longer to get in the car than it did for us to drive there. But it was nice to go out for a proper dinner, and I knew there would be suitable chairs for me to sit on as we have eaten there often. We didn't stay long, and when we got home it was definately time for an early night.

Before my op my mother in law gave me a wheeled walker, it has a seat and a basket incorporated. She doesn't use it as her house is not big enough to manouver it. I have a largish sort of house so its ideal. I've not used it up until today, as hubby has been home to wait on me. He is at work again this morning, so he bought my breakfast up on a tray before he left, when I finally woke, it was lovely to relax in bed until I felt ready to face the day.
After eating breakfast I washed and dressed with a struggle, but I do need to be able to do these things indepenently. I came downstairs and using the walker was able to go to the kitchen I made myself a coffee and put it in a beaker with a lid, popped it in the basket and could walk back to the living room and my chair. Its funny how these small achievements can make you puff up with pride.
What I noticed when using the walker, was, I could walk normally, no limping or anything. I still struggle with the crutches, I never really got the knack of them. I'm going to discuss this on Friday with the physio.

So today is Sunday, hubby has just got home from work and he is going to attempt a Sunday Roast. For me its going to be a day of rest.
 
Lovely descriptive update. Four months on and nearly back to normal but very good to be reminded what I have been through. Getting out 50 yrs is enormous, making a coffee is enormous, getting to the loo is enormous and you are achieving these things.Soon it will all be history ....

x
 
So here we are on Wednesday evening, 13 days post op.
Sundays roast was delicious, hubby did a great job even if we did have enough potatoes to feed an army.
The week do has been really uneventful, I've done some exercises, tried to walk up the garden two or three times a day.
Sadly yesterday I had a somewhat upset stomach, getting to the bathroom in time was quite a trauma. Time I'd been up and down stairs 4 times in the space of two hours I was really shattered.
The pain in my left hip has not improved, nor got worse, so I phoned the GP this morning for the second time, only to be told there were no appointments for today. She did offer to get the GP to phone me, but last time he did that it was useless, so I declined that offer and will try again tomorrow. Unfortunately all this got me distressed and I ended up in tears. If for any reason I can't get an appointment tomorrow then I will go to A&E I have to get this sorted, I'm not sure I can stand another night like I've had the last week or so.
There is really very little pain during the day, just a slight stinging sensation in my left leg, at night in bed its almost unbearable.
The weather has been quite glorious last few days so I've sat out in the sun for a little while, sadly its going to rain tomorrow, so will be stuck indoors with no chance of even a trip up the garden. I won't risk the grass while its wet, I could slip and that would be a disaster.

Hope all my fellow bionic hippies are doing well. I do spend a lot of time reading your posts even if I don't always send a reply.
 
Dear Lizwiz
I so understand where you are coming from. I think weeks 2-3 are really hard. It feels by then that we have had enough of being tolerant and patient by then we have had enough.

Does your worse pain coincide with running out of your original medication? If you are taking paracetamol only are you taking the full dose? I did 2 tabs, four times a day (every six hours) even if I felt okay. This really worked for me.

Don't forget to share your army's worth of roast potatoes with us all!
 
I don't think it's lack of pain meds causing it. I always take two pills before bed and this pain can't start soon after getting in bed.
The good news is I finally got an appointment for this morning so will report back later.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back
Top Bottom