Guest viewing is limited

THR One step at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Liznwiz I think you are so right. It is too soon to take risks with your comfortability "better safe that sorry". Once you are there you would be so tempted walk to the vineyard, a little walk to the chateau, a quick play with grandchildren - risking more pain oh no! When I was 3 weeks post op in Feb 15 I started planning a holiday for the autumn. I spent hours on the computer planning walks, excursions, birds to see, flowers and trees to see. I felt as if I had been there, what I called my virtual holiday! It seems that the head and the body get out of synchronisation for a while post op. Look after yourself and enjoy next week. x
 
@Liznwiz, so sorry about your vacation but I, too, think you made a very sensible decision. Hopefully you and your hubby can enjoy some daytime outings.

We planned on not doing much of anything for 12 weeks. Looking forward to a cruise or driving trip in October.

Cheers, Denise.
 
Sorry about your family vacation. I am hoping I am up and about by July 12. We are involved with a national conference that meets 4 times a year in a different city. This July it is in our area. I have been busy planning tours for the spouses. One is a day long bus tour. The others are walking tours!!
 
I may have missed my holiday but I've been enjoying the photos kids are sending me, it looks like they are having a fabulous time. I'm quite jealous really, but looking forward to next years family holiday instead.
@MrsHippie we have been on a couple of cruises, one to Norway and last year we went to the Baltics, Russia was amazing, I just wish I had not been in so much pain with my hip at the time, we had to do mainly coach tours rather than walking ones, but enjoyed it all the same. We may book up something for October when hubby has his next holiday from work.

I've been to see the surgeon today for an appointment to see if he can sort out my left leg. Diagnosis number 3!!!!
He thinks I have something called Meralgia Paresthetica, basically I think its a trapped nerve. He seems to think it will sort itself out in 2 or 3 months. If not then he can give me an injection but its a bit hit and miss (his words).

He is pleased with my new hip and how its progressing, I can now sleep on my side if I want and the 90 degree restriction has been lifted although he did tell me to take it slowly. He also said I can stop using the raised toilet seat and crutches. So looks like life is slowly getting back to normal. He has signed me off work for another 7 weeks, which is great but it does mean going back to work for 2 weeks before the 6 weeks summer holiday. (I work in a school, term time only). I was hoping he would sign me off until the holidays so I could go back fresh in September, but looks like I'll be going back earlier than that.

One thing I can say is the BS mantra works, there really is no need to do a lot of exercises to get your hip back to normal. I've done very little due to the difficulties with my left leg and yet my new hip and right leg are working perfectly well with very little pain. Mostly its during the evening if I have walked a fair amount during the day.

So all in all its been a good day and I am looking forward to sleeping on my side tonight if possible.
 
A question I am hoping somebody can answer.

Since I came home I've been going up and down stairs one at a time like a small child. Today I decided as I was feeling stronger I could probably go up stairs normally. The strange thing is after 4 weeks I seem to have forgotten how. I really had to think before each step, thereby taking a lot longer than normal to get up the stairs.

Is this normal or has anyone else had this problem?
 
@Liznwiz the stairs thing is normal. You probably have not done stairs property in awhile. The strength required may not be totally there yet either. For most of us, we did the baby steps for a bit and finally caught ourselves doing stairs properly half way up a flight. Don't worry - you'll get there!
 
Thank you Jaycey, its good to know that one day I will be climbing stairs without thinking about it. I've gone back to doing baby steps for now and will just wait for that day to arrive.

@Poppet I read on another thread that you had used a TENS machine I was wondering if it would help this nerve pain I have in my left leg (Meralgia Paresthetica according to surgeon). I have a small TENS machine that used to belong to my father, and if you think it would be useful perhaps you could advise me.

Many Thanks in advance
 
Hi Liz I was the same with the stair thing and after my setback I was really worried in case it happened again. I have got over that now but do take my time when doing the stairs. Sleeping on your side is a great feeling and I still use my pillow between my legs and I am nearly four month into recovery. Purchased a cane as a safety net and used it when I went to see my grandchidren at Hillend Ski Slope at the weekend as it is very hilly. Keep safe Liz and assess what you are doing before carrying it out.
Take care Billy
 
Thank you Jaycey, its good to know that one day I will be climbing stairs without thinking about it. I've gone back to doing baby steps for now and will just wait for that day to arrive.

@Poppet I read on another thread that you had used a TENS machine I was wondering if it would help this nerve pain I have in my left leg (Meralgia Paresthetica according to surgeon). I have a small TENS machine that used to belong to my father, and if you think it would be useful perhaps you could advise me.

Many Thanks in advance

Hi, the best approach is to make an appointment with a professional in your area who uses a TENS machine to ascertain whether it is an appropriate method of treatment for you. I don't personally recommend buying a TENS machine without this type of introduction and trial first :)
 
@Liznwiz I literally yelled at my screen when I saw your mention of Meralgia Paresthetica! Mine started in 1999 when I had some hardware removed from my left hip. It started in the recovery room and I haven't had relief from it until this month. I'm so glad that your doctors were able to identify it quickly so you can get relief ASAP!

While in the hospital in 1999 I asked about the pain and was told it was caused swelling and would go away. Mine never did. I've asked at every doctor appointment since then for help with this pain but it was always just attributed to my bad hip. This April I stumbled on an article about Meralgia Paresthetica. I had previously asked my GP about my symptoms and when I saw her in May I asked, "What do you think is causing these symptoms? It feels a lot like what I have read about Meralgia Paresthetica." I think she looked it up at that moment then asked if I wanted to try Nortriptyline. I probably would have agreed to anything.

In the past I have used massage therapy which was slightly better for a week or so, I slept with a pillow under my knee, used BioFreeze which worked well but only for a few hours, and used both hot and cold therapy. I started to get relief quickly with Nortryptyline and my MP symptoms are all but gone now. I was surprised when my GP told me Nortriptyline is an antidepressant which is also used to relieve nerve pain. I take it once daily, in the evening. There are some warnings to consider but it has been worth it for me.

If the TENS unit does not help and your incision isn't too close to the affected area, try BioFreeze or something similar. I think it gets the nerves are too busy transmitting about skin sensation to be able to complain about MP. Massage is nice but might it not be wise so soon post op. Hot therapy is probably also out for the same reason. If you're not still doing cold therapy it is worth trying. There are several other options but they tend to require your doctor's involvement like checking for vitamin deficiencies or thyroid levels. If nothing else works, or if your MP lasts longer than expected you don't have to suffer with it. You can ask your doctor for neuropathic pain relief. Just don't be surprised if he suggests trying something typically used as an anti-seizure, anti-depressant, or anti-histamine. It seems odd but it can work.


I hope you find a solution to your Meralgia Paresthetica soon!

Cherie
 
@forbesy Sleeping on my side now, like you I'm using a pillow, and its wonderful to get some 'proper' sleep if only for a few hours before I wake.

@Cherie Sorry to hear you have had to put up with this pain for so long, I can't imagine how you coped. I was in tears one day when the pain was particularly bad. Just to summerise for you, the pain is in my left thigh, my operation was right hip. So at first the GP (when I eventually got to see him) said it was nerve damage similar to what occurs after a C-Section. He prescribed Amitriptyline, which like you say is a low dose antidepressant.
Then the physio said it could be Bursitis, but I've had that before and the pain was nothing like this and would go away after resting for a while, so although he insisted I wasn't so sure.
Then went to surgeon and he decided it was Meralgia Paresthetica and has written to my GP to tell him this. Surgeon thinks it should get better in two or three months.
I've tried using ice on it, and it doesn't help, if anything it makes it worse. I could try heat though, I have some reusable heat pads I can try.
I'll speak to the GP next time I see him about the TENS machine.
As for massage, this does help but the muscles inside my thigh feel very lumpy, so not sure whats going on there, it maybe a side effect of MP.

Thank you for writing your experiences, its strangely comforting to know I am not alone with the pain even though I don't think I could wish it on anyone.

In other news, I walked to the local shop for the first time today. Its very windy with gusts up to 50mph, consequentaly it wasn't an easy walk and I managed to trip over my crutch. Luckily I didn't fall and managed to save myself. What is normally a 5 minute walk took me about half an hour, and I was ready for more pain killers and a rest when I got home.
 
I walked to the local shop for the first time today.
Major milestone! Well done! It's horridly windy here as well - please take care!
I managed to trip over my crutch.
Easy does it! We are going to have to get you a bubble wrap suit if you carry on like that! :heehee:
 
thanks for that...just read your threads v.. interesting, just got to get through the other side!!!
 
Hi all, thought you might like a little update 5 weeks post op.

I've continued my little trips to the shops round the corner and feel far more confident now and can get there and back in about 15 minutes now, I do need to rest when I get home.

I bought myself a fitbit the other day in preperation for when I am recovered enough to use my exercise bike again and walk futher. Interestingly it measures the time you sleep, and the last two nights I have used it, I had 4.5 hours sleep and 3.5 hours sleep, with a lot of restless time measured. When I told my husband he said that explains why you are sleeping in so late. I've not been getting out of bed until about 10am each day, normally I'm up and about at around 7am. Total walking is about a mile a day, which considering I'm not actually going far with my walks out is quite good. Next week I might have to start walking a little further, maybe go the long way round to the shop.

I'm not using crutches at home now, apart from going up and down stairs, and I take one with me on my walks.
The pain in my left leg has subsided mostly apart from when I am in bed, then its as painful as ever especially when I try and move.

Hope you are all making great strides in your recovery.
 
I've reached yet another milestone or two.

Yesterday I thought I'd do my walk to the shops without my crutch. It wasn't too bad although I think I perhaps should have taken it, getting to the shop was no problem, getting home again I had to go a little slower, but no major pain when I did arrive home.

The other milestone I had was finishing my blood thinning tablets, it felt like a victory when I finally threw the packet in the bin. I also decided if I've finished the tablets, not really taking pain meds anymore I would ditch the compression stockings. The weather here has turned really warm and they were starting to annoy me. My feet were very hot and sweaty and my legs were itching. So not sure if its a wise idea or not but they have gone. My theory is that they help people who are not moving much and I'm more or less moving around normally now.
Yesterday I couldn't load the dishwasher because of all the bending to put things in the bottom, so I stood and washed up by hand, I did some clothes washing and hung it out on the line to dry, also went to my son for a BBQ, although not a lot of exercise was done there, I was up and down messing around with my two grandchildren.

Admittedly I was very tired by the evening, but that was probably from the sun and two glasses of wine I drunk. So went to bed at 9:30 and didn't wake up until 9:00 this morning. Fitbit says I had ten hours of restful sleep which is quite amazing since its been recording 3 and 4 hours sleep recently. Think maybe I should have a couple of glasses of wine each day if its going to help me sleep.

The pain in my left leg is improving, but its still there sometimes, so I'm going to ask for another prescription of the Amitriptyline. The pain is mainly of a night when I am laying in bed, so that could be the reason I wake up so often.

Hope you are all recovering well, and for those of you in the UK hope you are managing to enjoy the sun, it seems summer has arrived.
 
Great update - sounds as though you are making good progress :)
 
Thanks Poppet, I feel I am making great progress.

One more achievement today, I went grocery shopping! I have not been able to walk the whole way round the supermarket for almost a year, without being in incredible pain. It got so bad hubby has been doing the weekly shop for me. He got so skilled he could manage it without a list.
I've decided its time now for me to think about losing a bit more weight, I'd lost almost 2 stone before the op, but another 2 won't go amiss. So I suggested we try shopping together so I could buy low calorie items and make sure I had enough things to eat that were not the high calorie things he likes (meat pies are his favourite).
I didn't take my crutch as I thought I could push the shopping trolley around as support. Sadly that wasn't as easy as it sounds, it was fine going in straight lines, but turning corners without twisting my hip was nearly impossible. So in the end I gave up and just walked around unaided. I did limp a bit, and hubby said it looks like I have one leg longer than the other, but I just think its bad habits from walking with a limp for years previously.

On the way home I asked him to stop at the mobility shop so I could buy a walking stick rather than use the crutch when we were out. I got my self a nice snakeskin patterned one. Its all adjustable and it folds so I can slip in my handbag when I don't need it.

I'm home now and I do have a slight ache in my hip muscles, but I know with a little rest it will be fine again.
 
@Liznwiz
Well done you to go to the grocery store! I had the same experience thinking I could use the shopping cart as support! It doesn't work because it supports the front and not the sides like we hippies need! Wished I had posted that to save you the same experience.
Snazzy cane! I might need to " get me one of those"! My cane is ugly but I keep hoping I won't need it for long! Your hubby sounds like a gem~ mine is too! Keep resting!
 
Thank you @Sullivand I'm pleased it wasn't just me having trouble with pushing a trolley.
I'll try and post a photo of my cane tomorrow.
Hubby really is a gem, although somewhat over protective, he won't let me do anything for myself. I want to start driving again, but doctor said 6 weeks, so I have to wait another two days, he won't even consider it before exactly 6 weeks. He has cooked, cleaned, washed clothes and basically done everything around the house. If he thinks I am doing too much walking he makes me sit down.
 
@Liznwiz
I drove last week for about 6 blocks to get a much needed pedicure! It was the perfect jaunt. My hubby was so worried but my OS was fine with it. Here's what I learned!
My car is pretty low to the ground so I moved the seat back as far as would go so that I could keep my legs from bending too far. I leaned in on my right hand to steady and then slid my legs in~ I moved the seat up to reach the peddles once I got in. Getting out I moved the seat way back again. The thing to think about is what you are doing at your destination because by the time you get in and out of the car~ you have used quite a bit of energy! Hahaha~ with tears mixed w laughter!
We will get there~ I am so ready to have that independence back!
Geez and I realized its opposite of that in the UK! So much for helping! :) oops!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom