Guest viewing is limited

THR One step at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.
@copsham I think I was worrying about nothing with the toe, its healed up fine without any problems.
I'm on a bit of a plateau at the moment, don't seem to be progressing any further somehow. I still can't go up and down stairs properly, I just can't put weight on my right leg. I am driving but if I have to brake too much then it gets painful and I end up with an ache. Also still limping, not badly but even when I concentrate really hard not to limp my husband says I am. He is concerned I have one leg shorter than the other as I tend to tilt rather then walk upright.
I've just got back from my GP who tells me I shouldn't be getting as tired as I am after a small amount of exercise, i.e. walking a mile, so he is sending me for blood tests just to see if there is any underlying problems. He is also going to send me to the physio just to check out leg length and help with some exercises to strengthen leg.
Hope you are doing ok and your foot is not giving you too much grief.
 
@Liznwiz
Have you started back to work for the 2 weeks part time? That might make you tired? I hope your lab work comes out ok~ maybe all you will need is extra iron and that can be done with diet~ steak and spinach! :snork:
As for your struggle with the stairs ~I have that too! I realized today that when I was able to take the stairs earlier~ I was on heavier pain meds~ so I may have been rushing it. The next time you are walking ask your hubby to video so that you can watch yourself~ it might help to see what you are doing. I have a limp but it looks in the video that my muscle in the glute is not strong enough to hold me steady~ I think it's the same reason the stairs aren't coming easily. :shrug:
I am hoping your legs are even and the limp is temporary! Keep us posted~
 
Hi @Sullivand I'm not back at work yet, the earliest it will be is the 16th July. I've never been up the stairs properly since my op, I tried a few weeks ago and it was just not possible, but Jaycey said it was too early for that so I stopped doing it. I thought by now I would be able to, but I just can't push off with that leg, so hopefully physio will be able to help with that.
I went for my blood test this morning, its so frustrating that I had to not eat or drink for 10 hours before the test, and when I got to the hospital, there were twenty people in front of me, so I ended up waiting an hour and a half. Got home and the first thing I did was make coffee and have my breakfast. So glad thats over with. Probably be a week or so before I get results, they are never quick with these things.
The video is a good idea, might show me what needs to be corrected.
Hope you are doing well.
 
@Liznwiz hi....I could not do stairs going up for weeks and weeks. Pushing off with that freekin sore groin muscle was my issue and still is. One day I got halfway up and said....wow how did that happen!!!! I have 14 steps up and down and do them a zillion times a day. One day I just could. Had nothing to do with will or planning or thinking hard, I just did it. Xo
 
I have been following your recovery thread with great admiration. I am looking at having LTHR on the 30th and am really pumped up now, seeing how remarkable your recovery has been. It has given me great hope ... And a little less anxiety ... Knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel.
 
@Liznwiz
Oh my goodness! 20 people ahead of you and w no coffee? Argh! I'm sorry you had to deal with that and now another wait for lab results. I decided to take @donors approach and forget about the stairs hoping one day it will just happen! I will be thinking about you and hoping your July 16 date works and that you get fast answers from the lab.
 
I've been away for a long weekend break and had a lovely restful time, just trying to catch up on all the posts I missed.
I went to GP yesterday, my blood test results were fine, nothing to worry about there, but apparently my blood pressure is a little high, I have to go back next week and have it checked again. I was signed off work until end of the month, which means I don't go back to work until September. GP agreed with me that there was no point in going back for just two weeks then having six weeks off for summer holdays.
Occupational Health phoned this morning, to arrange an appointment to discuss my return to work. To my mind this is a complete waste of time, by September I am sure I will be fit and able to do a full days work. I work in school admin, so although its busy and stressful at times, its not a physical job.
I have physio tomorrow, I'm concerned there is still no strength in my right leg and I'm still unable to put any pressure on it to get up stairs, or even getting out of a chair.
At the weekend we went to visit our daughter who has a new house. The bathroom needs total renovation, so all that is in there is the toilet at the moment. So silly me, I went off to the toilet, then discovered I couldn't get up, there was nothing to hold onto to help push up. So I had to shout for hubby to come help, good job there was no lock on the door, so he was able to get in.
 
@Liznwiz
I just read your recovery from start to finish...very informative. What I would love to see is a picture of that snazzy snakeskin looking walking stick. I just can't bear the thought of going on vacation with grandma's four prong cane! :)
 
@Liznwiz, Howie just went up stairs "normally" yesterday at two months. He is doing great but still doesn't have his full strength back yet.

Toilets......what an issue! We are at a hotel where our toilet is about 12" off the floor. :no-fin:
Hubby has to go to the Lobby restroom and use the handicap stall. Of course, this morning they were cleaning the darn thing!

Hope you are feeling fine and get stronger every day.

Cheers, Denise
 
@Cynthia777 My walking stick. Not a good photo but it is the same thickness all the way down. Its adjustable for height and also folds up so I can pop it into my bag if need be.
[Bonesmart.org] One step at a time
 
Just a little update for you all.

The physio gave me some really simple exercises to do, apparently I need to just train my brain to understand I can put weight on my operated side. So I've just got to lean that way until I can eventually lift my left leg off the floor, also got to do marching on the spot. He also said if it hurts don't do it, so that suited me fine, I knew he wasn't going to make me overdo things.

I'm feeling a little upset today. I went to my lace class yesterday and one of the ladies there said she had spoken to her neighbour who also had a hip replacement. Her comments were that her scar is only 3 or 4 inches long and she took no pain killers at all. It was almost like she was criticising my lack of progress. When she told me I just said, wow your neighbour was very lucky then.

On a brighter note, I went out with two of the girls from work on Monday to buy my outfit for my daughters wedding. We went to a large shopping centre and they decided it would be best for me to have a wheelchair so that we could get round faster. I must say although I wasn't keen it actually worked out for the best. I was shattered by the time we got home and spent yesterday just relaxing.
I was so happy to have my outfit and even happier my husband liked it too. I'm not sure he will be so happy when he sees the credit card bill!!!
 
@Liznwiz
First of all~ I hate to say this because I can't imagine a lady in a lace making class would not tell the truth but she could be telling a big fib! It seems to me her neighbor probably had no energy to get into a conversation w her about the THR! My neighbors ask me how I am and I just answer I'm great! Only you hippies and my family know the truth! :scary:
How exciting to be the mother of a bride and even better to have your outfit picked out! I can just imagine your friends wheeling you around in the chair and getting you all taken care of ~ it sounds like a delightful day! Pshaw about the cost~ it's a special occasion! :roseshwr:
I am interested in the idea of training your brain to walk on your new hip leg~ I wonder if my issues are brain related too~ I am going to investigate!

I am glad you are resting and waiting to return to work after your 6 week break. I am all in order to return to school in two weeks which is week 13 post op. Fingers crossed! :fingersx:
 
@Sullivand Thank you for your kind comments, it made me feel better. I forgot to say the lady in question who took no pain killers is 70 years old. I'm not sure if that is relevant or not.

Good luck on your return to work, hope the kids look after you. I know when I did work in the classroom the kids were especially kind if they knew I wasn't feeling well. They might be horrors most of the time, but they know when to up their game.

I'm so looking forward to the wedding, just hope the weather is kind to us.
 
Hi all, not posted for a while as I have been extremely busy preparing for my daughters wedding in less than two weeks time.
I just wanted to update you all with progress. It was the hen weekend this weekend and we had a lovely time in London. This was a grown up hen party, not the boozy loud party for youngsters. So we went on a canal boat ride, out for an evening meal and then to a pop up cinema in a park on Saturday. Sunday was spent having a late, long lazy breakfast, a trip on the cable car over the river and afternoon tea in Harrods.
Having a Fitbit I was able to keep track of how far we walked. Saturday was around 7 miles and 18 flights of stairs, Sunday, 4 miles and 17 flights of stairs. How did I cope with all this you may ask?
All I can say is, I thought my hip held up pretty well. Saturday evening I was starting to feel pain on the way back to our hotel. Sadly I had no choice but to keep going. We kept a look out for a taxi, but unusually for London not a black cab passed our way. So the last mile or so, I had a determined effort, just putting one foot in front of the other and praying I'd done no irreparable damage. Sleep was hard to come by, it didn't matter what way I lay my hip hurt. I took some painkillers and eventually fell asleep and had a restful night.
Today (Sunday) I have to say I could feel some aching, so took two more painkillers and survived the walking we did with not too much discomfort.
What astonishes me is that just two weeks ago I went shopping for my wedding outfit and had to use a wheelchair to get around the shopping mall we went to, and I was totally exhausted by the time I got home. So this all goes to show that we may not think we are making progress, but in reality we are.

I've told my husband the next week I am doing nothing, I need to recover in time for the wedding.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom