Guest viewing is limited

THR One step at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a pretty upbeat person, actually was elected class clown class of 72. I feel for you Liz, with that itching and insomnia you're dealing with (two of my weaknesses). So, tell me, is recovery thus far, easier, more difficult or as you expected?
 
Recovery is much easier than I could have ever imagined. I honestly thought I would have to work through the pain to do the exercises. Tell me how it's possible to stand almost full weight ( and I'm no lightweight) and walk so soon after. I know I've been lucky, I have read some horror stories. But I've taken pain meds even if I didn't think I needed them, I want to get those muscles strengthened as soon as I can.

I'm not really dealing with insomnia, just I sleep too much during the day, so although I sleep well when I'm in bed, it's all at the wrong time, bit like jet lag. As for the itch, it's driving me nuts, but when my father had a stroke he developed a sore rash and being paralysed down one side he was unable to scratch, so I consider myself lucky that I can at least get some relief.

Today's task:-
Send hubby to shop for a large tin of prunes!!
 
That's too bad about your dad, that would have had to be so uncomfortable. I'm amazed at how well you're doing! Which type of THR did you have? Were you physically fit before your surgery?
 
I had my right hip done, I've seen people talk about anterior and other types of procedures, I'm not sure what I've had done. My wound is down the side, straight and the covering is about 12 inches long. The nurse said I've got dissolvable stitches and I can't take the dressing off for 7 days.
Before hand I was healthy, but not able to walk for more than 10 minutes. Then I'd be in agony, my hip was bone on bone, so sometimes it would seize up and the pain putting my foot to the floor was unbearable. I used a stick to help me get out the chair but was too vain to use it outside the house. I think I was at the point of depression not being able to live a normal life. At 57 I should have been looking forward to retirement and doing all the fun things I never got to do when children were home, instead I would avoid going out because I knew I'd be I. Pain after.
 
@Liznwiz

I'm so glad you're home! After I had a cesarean, I remember how much better I felt just getting home. Hospitals are not restful places, are they?

Congratulations on getting through to the recovery side. You're doing a great job chronicling your recovery!
 
Liz, you are doing amazingly well. The itchies must be driving you crazy. I get that when I'm on Vicodin. I'm glad your pain is under control. Continue napping when you are tired. The world revolves around you now as you become the keeper of time. Looking forward to more posts from you!
 
It's 1 am and I can't sleep, again I slept too much in the day. In the morning I'm definitely getting out of bed, we can work something out with the chair, until I get one the right height.
Yesterday was another good day, no pain, but the bruising has started to appear and underneath the dressing it feels itchy, but I'm sure that's a sign it's healing. The other itching has eased, so that's one good thing.
I tried to elevate my leg yesterday but was a bit painful so I stopped with that, there is still no swelling, so I would think it's not necessary.
I'm looking forward to lunch time tomorrow( or today now), friends are coming to visit me from work, will be good to have someone different to talk to.

Hubby has been good at looking after me, he keeps bringing me things just in case I need them. Having a king size bed and not being able to roll over means he can put things on the bed. So far I have chocolate chip cookies, two books, a newspaper, a magazine, a towel to use as a napkin when I eat, two remote controls for sky TV and TV itself, a hair brush, and of course my iPad. It's a wonder there is still room for me. There are all sorts of other things on the bedside cabinet too.

I was thinking of trying to get a bag that will go across my body, so I can put things in it when I'm on my crutches. Has any one tried this, does it work ok?
 
I bought an apron with 3 deep pockets to carry things in. I also bought a soft tote bag with long straps so I can hang it around my neck. I'm sure one or the other will work. :)
 
You are doing great @Liznwiz - isn't it wonderful when the op is all over and done with? I use cross body bags over one shoulder with a long strap with crutch and go out shopping with them (handbag size and another big one), all works fine. Carrier bags are more difficult with a crutch, keep banging into things.:scratch:

I had a lot of bruising too, all gone now, but I really had a rainbow coloured bottom for a while! Also, I am still using the bed as my main resting spot ("don't sit if you can lie down") as most of my chairs are too low and soft. I do have one I borrowed so I can sit up at the table for meals, but still, even 4 weeks post, standing, walking or lying down are the most comfortable. I love my bed, and I think it will take a lot to wean me away from it now :)
 
My lovely husband has been into town today and came back with all the things that will make my life a little easier. He got a grabber, shoe horn and a sock putter onner. The grabber is great, looking forward to being able to grab things that are just out of reach. The shoe horn I'm not so sure about, maybe needs a bit of practice and the sock thing I've not tried yet.

The lovely man that he is he went to a local independent shop and bought me a chair that is more suitable and comfortable to sit in. They will deliver about 4pm this afternoon. Thats the bonus of paying maybe just a little more and getting a quick delivery, none of this waiting 6 weeks at one of the major national stores.

Although I'm not particularly comfy sitting in this garden chair, I do feel far more alert and less sleepy today.

The othre good news is, the prunes have done their job, tummy ache all gone.
 
You sound like you are on the "right" road for a sound recovery @Liznwiz :yes!: Having a helpful hubby is a boon too :) I didn't spend any time in bed during the day, it's not my "thing" at the best of times, and I found that I rested perfectly well in my recliner. I found that getting up at a more or less normal time, showering and getting dressed then following my more or less normal routine (without all the work, showering was work enough!!) helped me feel "normal", not unwell - just "recovering" I think it helped me get sleep in the night too, the demarcation is obviously important for ME

I found a long handled shoulder bag was really useful during my time on two crutches; my sister made me one with pockets and really long handles so the opening was at hip level... this meant I didn't have to twist around to put things in it - the apron with pockets thing that @Great Aunt Janet speaks of would work just fine too :cool: I also used my laundry trolley a lot... putting things in the basket and pushing the trolley with a crutch at first then pushing it one handed when I was down to using one crutch.

The long handled sponge was really good - I taped a razor to the handle end with duct tape to use for leg shaving too. I used a strip of towelling (actually the strap of a dressing gown!) and used that to dry between my toes - hold it down with one foot, hold it taut with your hand, slide it between your toes (by sliding your toes around it, if you know what I mean!) and rub up and down... worked a treat. I had to observe precautions for 12 weeks, if they'd been for less time I may have just got hubby to do it for the duration... but I did enjoy working out a way to do it independently, a victory of sorts :snork: and I have the technology now for Hip 2!

I hired a chair from a medi supplies store, and an over-chair tray/table/trolley (like the one you get your meals on in hospital, that fits over the bed) it was cheap to hire and really useful. You don't need a huge amount of specialist stuff, there are a lot of work arounds, sometimes you just have to think about it... sometimes of course you can't be bothered thinking so just buy the stuff that's available and would seem to fit the bill, nothing wrong with that :wink:

Hope you have a good day with your chocolate and iPad... sounds perfect, the only part of recovery I miss now I'm so far out :cool:

Donna :flwrysmile:
 
@Liznwiz I'm so happy to hear everything seems to be going pretty well for you thus far! I'm watching your recovery like a hawk! Hugs, blessings and prayers sent to you today! :happydance:
 
Thanks @craftdee lots of good tips there

@Josephine I hope you don't mind me asking a question, of course if any one else has this problem hope you can help too.
As you know I've been doing amazingly well but yesterday I started to get pain in my left thigh. (Non operated side). The pain is around the outer mid thigh area, it's a stinging sort of pain and when I rub it, it burns a bit. Sometimes it feels like someone is pinging elastic bands inside my leg. There is no pain when I'm resting, it's just as I start to move, once I get moving it seems to get a bit better.

I'm takin Cocodamol as pain relief but it does seem to be touching this pain.

My thoughts are that it could be that my left leg is having to work harder to compensate.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
That's a very good thought and it's likely the reason you are experiencing some pain in your unoperated leg. Be sure you are using a walker or cane when moving about. No limping!! Most people need the support of a walking aid for a month or more. The idea is to use whatever aid works best and gives you the most stability so you can walk about with a normal gait. Then as you get stronger, you find yourself "forgetting" the walker or cane as you move about your home. That means you're getting stronger!
 
@Liznwiz muscles complaining from having to work in the different way. This will ease as you get more and more mobile. You are doing great!
 
@Liznwiz Im still pre-op, but I was having the same issue while using my four legged cane (too much pain in bad hip while not using). On my one and only pre-op visit to the PT, he immediatly pointed out that I was using it incorrectly. My not so mechanical hubby had the bottom part of the cane's four feet turned the wrong way. I was developing pain, not only in my "good leg", but in my back and shoulders. Once he turned it to the correct position, boy what a difference! All the pain in those other areas disappeared!
 
Thanks all for your help and suggestions. I've just been for a little nap, woke up and moved my left let, and nearly shot off the bed and through the ceiling. There was the most horrendous sharp shooting pain right through my thigh. So I was concerned about a blood clot. Hubby didn't think that the case as he seemed to think that would show as a swelling in the leg. So I googled my symptoms, it appears I may have nerve damage from the spinal. Pressure on the nerves in the spine following some damage, causes a sharp pain on the outer thigh, so my thoughts are now that is what I have got a problem with, made worse by sleeping on my back.
If it continues I will phone my GP tomorrow morning and see what he has to say. I couldn't find a cure on google, but would an ice pack help if I put it on my back?
@Cynthia777 I have crutches, and they were set up by the physio, so I assume they are at the right height. But I can just imagine what you put your hubby through once you found out it was his fault you were in extra pain. I don't think mine would be allowed to forget.
 
Let me tag @Josephine for you again. She seems to not have gotten the earlier one.
 
As you know I've been doing amazingly well but yesterday I started to get pain in my left thigh. (Non operated side). The pain is around the outer mid thigh area, it's a stinging sort of pain and when I rub it, it burns a bit. Sometimes it feels like someone is pinging elastic bands inside my leg. There is no pain when I'm resting, it's just as I start to move, once I get moving it seems to get a bit better. I'm takin Cocodamol as pain relief but it does seem to be touching this pain.
Perhaps we could start by you telling me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] One step at a time


[Bonesmart.org] One step at a time
 
Thank you @Josephine

The really sharp pain I have occurs at around the GRF1 position. I noticed last night while in bed I was fine until I moved, then it would happen and last only a few seconds, maybe 30 at the most. Moving the leg was fine it was just when I tried to adjust myself in the bed.

I'm currently sitting in a chair, quite upright but both hips are less than the 90 degree angle and I have what feels like a dull ache in the left hip at around DRGB. Its the sort of pain you get when you have a bad bruise, a dull achey sort of feeling.

Also when I walk its like there is an elastic band inside my thigh pinging, this happens as I start to walk, about 4 or 5 steps then its fine and clears. No pain in either hip or leg when walking after this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom