Guest viewing is limited

THR One step at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went out for my first drive today, @Sullivand thank you for your advice, you are right, we drive on the opposite side. But even so I found it easy enough to get in and out of the car. Driving was ok, although I did ache a little when I had to brake, which involves moving my foot off the accelerator onto the brake pedal. But all in all it was not too bad, just using muscles which need a bit of toning up I think.

Also I have been longing to get back to my exercise bike, so I did that too today. I just did 5 minutes with no resistance and went very carefully. The good news is I felt no pain or anything unusual whilst riding the bike, so I will try and build up a few minutes more each day. Before my op the bike was the only exercise I could do comfortably, my GP advised it as a no weight bearing exercise.

I've been reading through lots of other posts and have to say I now realise I have been extremely lucky all in all. Apart from the Meralgia Paresthetica in my left leg, I've really had very few problem. The pain in my left leg is now subsiding and I really only get a problem in bed. If I lay on my back and then try and turn over I gets me.

I could of course most likely go back to work now I am driving, but surgeon said 10 - 12 weeks recovery, so I am going to stay home a little while longer, I'm only just past my 6th week.

Hope everyone else is recovering well.
 
Great to hear @Liznwiz! Short errands are perfect! I think it is great you have 10-12 weeks before returning to work. I do too.

I Learned another lesson today! I went to pick up a prescription through the drive thru but I had to lean on my left hip to reach into the metal drawer! Oops no can do! So I moved the car back and walked! Luckily no one was in line behind me! So I think I will park and walk in instead of using the drive through for the bank, laundry and pharmacy! So much for convenience.

Take care! So glad you are doing well.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Liznwiz -- isn't is wonderful when we see these small steps of improvements -- good for you! I like your surgeon's timeframe 10-12 weeks -- smart surgeon. Take it all, it will make the world of difference for you when you return to work. You may avoid the energy drain that often hits those of us who return earlier (write she, who returned to work at 7 weeks) :)
 
After attempting to cut my toe nails and failing I went to a qualified podiatrist today to have my nails cut. I thought it better than going to have a pedicure as I thought he would be more careful. Unfortunately he managed to cut my toe and cause it to bleed. :flabber:
Despite having not taken the blood thinners for over a week it was difficult to stop bleeding. He put something on it, which was brown and stung, he didn't tell me what it was he just said it was a chemical (maybe iodine?).
So now I am in a slight panic about getting an infection. Does anyone have any experience of something like this? What would be the best course of action? How will I know if I get an infection and its travelled to my hip?

All such silly and probably unlikely things to happen, but I can't stop worrying, which is not really like me at all.
The upshot of all this is, I declined to make a second appointment and left it that I would call if in another couple of months I am still unable to reach my toes and need his help. But I feel sure I wouldn't return to him at all, and find somebody else. Plus he wasn't cheap, so not something I can afford to do too often.

Help, advice or wise words are what I need right now. :sos:
 
Oh @Liznwiz
I am so sorry this happened to you. You were trying to do the safe thing and then this happens. You poor dear.
My story began with infection in my hip so I know the worst. I might be the over cautious one but here's my two cents for what it's worth~ I would call your OS or GP office and tell them what happened and see if you need an antibiotic like they recommend for dental work. Check your temperature and be sure you are fever free. Then watch your toe for signs of infection. I'm sure it will be ok! ;)
 
@Sullivand Sorry I've not replied, I somehow had a few busy days. The toe is fine, I think I over reacted and panicked. Phoned the GP and was told just to keep an eye on it but they didn't think there was anything to be concerned about.
I just hope I am able to cut my own toenails next time they need doing.
Apart from that, there is no other news, I seemed to have reached a plateau in my recovery. Not gettting any worse or any better. Perhaps its time to do a bit more exercise and push things a bit.
 
Perhaps its time to do a bit more exercise and push things a bit.
:no-fin: No pushing recovery. You are doing just fine - slow and steady. My LTHR OS let me use the stationary bike with no resistance at 6 weeks out. Try increasing your time on the bike slowly. Are you also working on increasing your walking distance?
 
Thank you @Jaycey, I need you to keep me in check, I've always wanted to run before I walk.

I'm using the exercise bike, I started off at 5 minutes with no resistance, I'm now doing 10 minutes at 1 resistance because I was feeling like I was doing anything apart from spinning the pedals.

Walking, I am trying to increase, but not by too much, I'm walking about 2800 steps a day on average, which is double what I was doing about two weeks ago. I bought a fitbit, so I could track the steps. I tend to do less on the weekend, or if its raining. The problem is there really is nowhere nice to walk where I live (on a main road with lots of traffic). Perhaps that should be the next step, take the car out and find somewhere nice to walk, we are not too far from the beach which has a nice flat pavement to walk on.
 
@Liznwiz~Hahaha! I love @Jaycee 's advice! We are not allowed to spring free yet! I too have to drive to a place to walk because it is very hilly here. I also went to our neighborhood pool for the first time yesterday~it was so delightful to float around and let go of the tension that walking puts on my legs! I "walked" on the bottom and it was great.
So I am SO glad your toe is doing ok! I am going for a pedicure this week. I love the woman who runs a small salon in my neighborhood and she is very careful ~ I think I mentioned in my thread that I take my own tools to be extra safe. We are slow but steady!
 
Had a small set back this week. I got out the car awkward and ended up straining a muscle I think. Was having a pain on the inside of my thigh, hip ached a bit too. Trouble with parking spaces is they are too small, or you get some inconsiderate person who parks so close you have to literally breath in, and squeeze past being careful not to bash their car with your door.
Got up this morning and feel a whole lot better than I have for last two days. I was back on the pain killers and resting once again. The weather today is lovely so I'm thinking of going for a walk after lunch.
Hope every one else is doing well.
 
@Liznwiz I know exactly what you mean about getting in and out of the car next to a car parked way too close! We need bumper stickers that say "Hippie on Board~ don't park too close"! I was actually thinking about getting handicap parking tag to avoid that issue~ I have been trying to strategically park with space by my door but it isn't always possible.
I am so glad it was just a small set back that you were able to manage but I'm sorry it took you two days to recover. Enjoy your walk today. :)
 
I went for my walk, fitbit told me it was a mile. I can't say I enjoyed it, I got quite tired about half way round, but by that time was no point in turning back. It was longest I've walked without stopping. But hip doesn't ache and no other side effects apart from feeling tired.
Before I went for my walk I thought I'd do a bit on my exercise bike. I'd only been on it two minutes and it registered a heart rate of 175, I was feeling very light headed too. Not sure what that was all about, but I stopped cycling and had an hour lay down on the bed. I felt better then, so perhaps just a little blip. I did wonder if it was an anxiety attack thinking about my walk and going so far on my own.
So its an early night for me, tomorrow I'm off to my lace making class so need to be alert enough for that or I will learn nothing.
 
Slow and steady @Liznwiz -- if you go for a walk it is wise to remember we always have the walk back. I up forgot that once, luckily I had my walker and was able to sit down. Do take care sweetie, no harm in having a rest day :)
 
@Liznwiz and @Poppet
So hard to stay in the parameters and we don't realize it until it's too late! I am super overcautious and walk where there are benches all around! But the day I " walked" around in the pool I went way overboard and felt so exhausted that evening and the next morning! I say stop when you think just a bit longer or a bit more ~ that way we are ok the next day. Enjoy your lace making class~that sounds very interesting. It's a lost art so I've read.
 
It is easy to go that little bit further when we are having a good day -- I call it pushing our own boundaries. Problem is we don't know what our individual boundary is. I was lucky, I had a very strong hubby who has medical training and a whole heap of logic, lol.. compared to me the patient. He kept saying don't push it!! :)

His logic won over and I have had a wonderful recovery - time and patience. Must admit I learnt a whole new lot about my 'A' type personality. Now I am happy to sit and smell the roses :)
 
@Poppet Definately won't be doing that walk again for a while. Basically it was a walk round the block, just short of a mile, I am going to travel to the beach, its not far away and I can walk along the 'prom' and if I get tired I can sit on the wall for a while to recover.
I feel fine today although it was an early night for me, and I didn't wake until 9:30 so slept well. No problems with my heart rate today either, so pleased about that, its all a bit of a worry, especially when hubby says he is going to check my life insurance is up to date.
@Sullivand I thoroughly enjoyed my lace class and came away beaming, teacher said I was no longer a beginner, I have progressed to an improver. You are right lace making is a dying art, it has a lot of history, but once machine made lace started to be produced then the ladies who made lace couldn't earn enough to make a living. Now it is more of a hobby than anything else. It can take a couple of hours just to make an inch of lace, to sell it if you factor in your time it would be exhorbitant.
 
So pleased you are feeling a bit more rested Liz, @Liznwiz -- Just thinking, given that you have a lovely "prom" to walk which I recall from many trips to the UK is usually flat and stable have you ever considered using Nordic Walking Poles? They are fantastic for us recovering hippies. They provide one with the confidence, stability, a cardio and whole of body workout (without the pressure on our joints) and assist our 'walking gait' to ensure we don't start limping. But most of all, they are fun and we look really cool.. :).

There are a lot of benefits with Nordic Walking (NW). In fact lots of orthopedic surgeons in Australia have joined NW Groups. My surgeon was very impressed when I explained that I had taken up this activity. If interested Google Nordic Walking groups in your area, it has quite a large following in the UK (all over the world actually). The one suggestion I would make if interested and only when ready (you are still a little early in your recovery phase) is that you contact a NW trained PT who provides individual training on how to NW correctly.

I wrote an article about Nordic Walking - it is in the Social Room, here is the link - you may care to browse. :)

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/nordic-walking-poppet-walks-the-talk.16606/
 
@Poppet Thank you for the idea and the link to read up on Nordic Walking. I did a quick google search and there is a group nearby, but they need you to do a 4 week course before joining, but they also do a taster session so that may be worth looking into eventually.
I'm not quite sure what reaction I would get if I started walking along the beach using two poles, people are quite narrow minded round here, I even get funny looks when I use my walking stick. But you are right, the prom is flat and even to walk along, there is just a little slope to get down to it, but I think I could manage it quite well.
Its almost bedtime here, so I shall read up further tomorrow.
 
Hi @Lizwiz
How are you doing? I just read some of your recent posts. Did your toe mend without infection? The same happened to my husband. He went for the very first time to a podiatrist and got a cut toe - never went again! Are things developing okay or are you on the plateau for the moment? Take care
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom