Guest viewing is limited

THR One step at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw the GP today, he has prescribed stronger tablets than the ones I was taking before. He said its definately nerve damage and it could last days or weeks. Hope these pills (Amitriptyline) work soon. I feel its hindering my progress with my new hip.
 
He never really said but he pressed down my spine and I could feel some pain at the bottom of the spine. He did liken it to the pain some women have when they have had a c-section so presumably its from the surgery rather than the spinal.
The strangest thing happened after lunch today. Hubby made poached eggs on toast, and very lovely they were too. But no more than half hour after eating them they all ended up down the toilet pan. I am never sick, yet today I was quite violently sick. The problem with that is, I was unable to clean up properly, I did try, but just couldn't do a proper job. Hubby to the rescue, and more tears from me. Feeling ok now, just a bit empty, but not going to eat anything for a while, I'll have a light dinner and see what happens.

This is all becoming a very big trial that I will be glad when its all over. Hope you are doing ok @JulieJF
 
@Liznwiz
So far, so good today. I'm feeling a bit more independent and more sure of my movements. The pain is held at bay, though the downside of the pain pills are that, although I feel generally with it, I do lose my concentration and end up staring at the curtain across the room rather than finish typing my sentence (which is what I did just now!) :oyvey:

Funny your GP mentioned c-sections because that was what was on my mind. Immediately after my c-section, I would get shooting nerve pain down the back-outside of my leg. Basically my sciatic nerve was affected...I think on both sides, but on my right most severely. Then for months after the c-section, I would get nerve tingling in my back at the spinal block insertion point that I would metaphorically describe as feeling like sparklers might feel if they radiated out from my spine. I'm sure yours isn't that bad...the anesthesiologist who did the spinal block for my c-section was a complete yahoo. They almost put me under because he couldn't land the spinal.
 
@JulieJF
So pleased you are doing ok, I know what you mean about concentration, I've been the same. I make bobbin lace and I'm supposed to be making some for my daughters wedding bouquet. She doesn't get married until August, but I was hoping this was going to be the ideal opportunity to sit and make lots of lace. But there is no chance, my head just cannot fathom what I am supposed to be doing, so I end up just sitting with it in front of me and doing nothing. Its not helped that I can't lean forward to put in the pins due to the 90 degree restriction.

In many ways your experience with the c-section has given me hope its not a forever thing. For me it feels like someone is electricuting me. I lay in bed feeling quite well until I try and move a little. I can bend the leg and just feel a little tingle, but as soon as I move my back its like a thousand volts going through my leg. The guy who did my spinal was very nice but he did say he missed the first time and hit a bone, so had to try a second time. It maybe he damaged the nerve at that point.
I'm assuming that your sparklers eventually died out and after you were fine.
Still no point in dwelling on what might be, I just need to get through each day and be patient for the day the nerves are healed.
 
Well here we are home again after visiting the nurse and the physio.
First appointment was with the nurse, she was busy preparing objects on a tray when I asked her if she was planning on removing stitches. Yes she said, so I told her not to bother, I'd not got any. Just three steristrips left and I decided to leave them to come off naturally rather than take them off. She had a look and was very surprised to see I was fully healed, there was just some dried blood under the steristrips, so she took them off and cleaned me up. Now all I have to do is massage in some bio oil to help the scarring.

It was then onto the physio. I'd prepared for this by taking two pain killers an hour before hand, but it wasn't necessary. He checked my range of movement and was pleased with what I was able to do.
I then explained to him about the pain I've got in my left hip. After a bit of prodding and poking he came to the conclusion it was Trochanteric Bursitis. So I had some ultra sound treatment on that. He also suggested I bring forward the appointment with Mr Slater, the surgeon because I really need anti inflammatory drugs and I can't take those while taking the anti coagulants. Mr Slater could give me an injection in the hip to relieve the pain or he could take me off the anti coagulants.
In the mean time, no exercises that involve standing on my left leg, just those I can do laying down. He also suggested icing the hip to help with inflammation. I am allowed to put full weight on my right leg, but have to continue using crutches to help the left hip.

All I can say is I am bitterly dissapointed to have developed Bursitis, I had that in the right hip for the last 15 years and its no fun at all. Physio hopes its just a chronic condition and will clear itself soon and not be a constant bother for me. Lets just all keep fingers crossed that proves to be correct.

Onwards and upwards as they say. Hope you are all doing well.
 
@Liznwiz

Oh boy, the lack of sleep is one of my major concerns! I've had insomnia for many years in the past, but have FINALLY been able to sleep for the past 3 years (Trazadone 100mg at bedtime has been the miracle pill for me)! I guess it is what it is and one must go with the flow. :)
 
I am sorry to hear you are having such difficulty with your left leg. Hopefully it will all calm down very soon.

I just re-read your whole thread and must say I think it is helpful when you are having a bad day to tell it like it is. Unfortunately, I read lots of happy "I'm in hardly any pain at all threads" to Mr. Hippy. I wanted him to hear all the positives. So now that he is in pain its unexpected.

I hope you will soon be working on that bridal lace congrats on your daughters upcoming wedding.

Cheers, Denise
 
So hear we are at day 19, and I'm feeling pretty fed up with my left (unoperated) leg. The pain is becoming almost unbearable now. When it first started it was just at night while laying down in bed, now its there constantly. A sharp stinging pain in my left thigh, which gets worse when I move. Pain killers are having no effect, the Amitriptyline is not helping either. I does seem to help but I think more because it numbs the area than it doing any good to cure the problem.
Hubby bought me one of the V shaped memory foam pillows because I thought if I slept more upright it may help, but it didn't. The pillow is lovely though for laying in bed and watching tv, so its not gone to waste.

I have an appointment with surgeon on 27th, lets hope he can solve the issues.

Apart from all this I am doing well with the right hip. I can actually walk with no aids a few steps round our small kitchen. There is no room to actually use the walker so I use it to get to the kitchen and can then support myself using the edge of the work tops if needed.
I've still had no pain in the hip, it swells slightly, around my scar, after I've walked a lot during the day, but its been raining a lot last two days, so I'm not risking walking down the garden in the wet. I have physio of Friday so hoping he will give me permission to go out for a walk somewhere. Living near the beach I think a walk along the prom would be lovely if the weather is nice. I'm getting a bit fed up with watching day time tv.

I hope all other hippies are doing well.
 
Just a quick post to let those reading this that suddenly the pain in the left leg has subsided, its still there but only if I think about it.
Yesterday I was in agony, I couldn't imagine pain any worse, every movement was awful, even moving my right leg seems to make the pain shoot through my left leg. I went to bed well drugged up, and just couldn't get comfy. Eventually fell asleep and when I woke at around 3 am for my usual bathroom visit I was dreading having to move. Was surprised when I did and there was very little pain. Woke up at 8 am and still very little pain.
I'm now up and dressed and ready to face the day. I think another day of complete rest won't do any harm though.
To say I am a happy bunny right now is an understatement, lets hope its the start of things to come
:yay:
 
@Liznwiz

How frustrating to have your operated hip feel great, but develope such a horrible pain in the good hip...very discouraging! I'm hopeful the easing of the left hip pain will continue. How is the pain today?
 
Bursitis is usually caused by too much exercise. Resting will certainly help. An injection will also help. As your surgeon.
 
Thanks everyone. @Cynthia777 the pain is still there but much better than previously, so I'm feeling hopeful its starting to be cured

@Jaycey having had bursitis in my right hip for many years I really don't think this is bursitis. Yes, when pressed in the bursa area it's painful, but the constant pain I am getting is like a numb painful sting halfway down the outside of my thigh. I'm still thinking its a nerve pain. I really haven't done too much exercise for the bursa to play up. I have been taking a few short walks up the garden and back, our garden is about 80-90 feet long so there and back isn't exactly too far. Apart from this and a walks to the downstairs toilet I've not exactly been active. I have used either two crutches or my walker when I have been walking.

But today has been another good day for pain, its there but more an annoying pain than a painful pain.
 
But today has been another good day for pain, its there but more an annoying pain than a painful pain.
This is good news! Glad things are calming down. Fingers cross this continues!
 
Went to physio again today, the good news is he says I am ready to use just one crutch, and if I am feeling able to no crutches at all walking around the house. Although if I go out for a longer walk, then I do need to take both with me.
Not sure what he was doing with my left leg today, but he said there were lots of knots in there and he tried to get the unknotted. Leaving me in quite a bit of pain, so I've got the ice out and sat with it on my left thigh.
On Wednesday I have an appointment with the surgeon, so physio is going to write to him to explain the problems with the left hip and hopefully he will decide what to do. Physio opinion is that as things are starting to improve he may decide to leave it and see what happens, I'm hoping that won't be the case and he will be able to at least give me a definate diagnosis of what is wrong. Pain is definately better, but it is still there.

In other news, as I am now allowed to walk short distances hubby is going to take me to a garden centre tomorrow. We will most likely go to one that has a cafe so we can also have lunch out. Sadly I should have been going on holiday tomorrow. We had rented two houses in France and all my children, partners and grandchildren were coming too. Although surgeon and physio both said it was not impossible to go, I decided in light of the problems with my left leg its best to stay at home. I wasn't sure if there would be a high enough chair for me to sit comfortably in, I'd have to take the raised toilet seat too, and would that have fitted on a French toilet? Also it would have been a 10 hour drive, and if we made frequent stops then it would have taken even longer. So sensible me decided its best not to go. All the rest of the family are going and I am just going to enjoy all the photos they will no doubt take.

So thats all my news for now. Hope every one is making a great recovery.
 
So sorry about your holiday but I think you made the right decision! I found out that the seatbelt was slightly rubbing on my wound but did not realise when I went on a 5 hour journey, in UK, 3 weeks post op. It caused a lot of aggravation. Everything was more difficult, bed not quite right, chairs not quite right and generally I felt unsettled and grumpy, despite beautiful location.

Why not have several little treats more locally so that you don't feel so deprived.
Best wishes
karen
 
@copsham I've just had a phone call from my daughter trying to persuade me to go. I feel bad not going but she didn't persuade me. You are right there are going to be so many things not quite right I would probably be miserable too. Plus they have plans to go visit vineyards which I know would be impossible for me to do that amount of walking right now.

Hubby already had the week booked off work, so I am sure we will be going out for days, where it will be easy just to come home when I've had enough.
 
I think you have made a very wise decision - especially with the problems you have experienced. You would not want to get all the way there and be miserable. Take heart - this time next year you will be top fit! Why not start planning now?
 
@Liznwiz

I second Jaycey! I'm sorry you're missing a family vacation, but I'm sure you've made a wise decision. You should plan to treat yourself when you'll be feeling 100% and are pain free. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom