Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* One Good Leg.

Thanks everyone! It was a great time, we laughed so much and I enjoyed riding the roller coasters the most. @crstysue it all depends on your knees. My niece and sister walked over 9 miles a day, 25,000 steps. I was a little worried about using the scooter, but my left knee would not have been able to do 9 miles a day. You can rent scooters at the parks, but I used an off location company because it was less expensive and I had it for 3 full days. I'm sure you'll be fine on the cruise, but if there's any question I highly recommend renting a scooter and enjoying yourself instead of being in pain or not having the full experience. It takes a full year to recover, so leave the scooter option open.
 
In the last month I've been focusing on getting physically healthy for my LTKR even though it isn't scheduled yet. While I've been cycling 8-10 miles a day I just didn't feel it was doing a lot for my stamina, strength or cardio. So I began walking, when I had healthy knees I didn't mind walking, but once they started hurting I tried to limit my steps. I began walking just 15 min a day, then added another 15 minutes. Part of my walk is up hill and my TKR is doing just fine handling the hill. My left knee is doing ok as well. Eventually I'd like to add another 15 minutes. Getting my walking in wasn't a problem until I retired.
 
Try adding five minutes at a time. So glad your WDW trip was such a success. I've tried to manipulate scooters while not on them, and that's a recipe for disaster. In those instances, it's best to disengage the wheels (there's a pull knob near the back) and walk or pull the thing that way.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think I could add 5 minutes if I didn't have the hill at the end of my walk. Whew! But I think I'll try that in a week or two when the 15 is a little easier. I'm off to walk now!
 
@KarriB
I read your thread, wow, you've been through a lot! I really appreciate how you've helped me and so many others.

I just wanted to comment on something that jumped out to me in your thread... you are from Pittsburgh and go to Bethany Beach Delaware. I live in Tennessee and our family vacations at Bethany Beach! I am originally from Wilmington DE, so I grew up going to the beach in Fenwick and Bethany. Had to smile when I realized we both were there at the same times in July and also in September. Small world!
 
@Kayte , Thank you for you're kind words! I do enjoy helping here on BoneSmart.

Isn't this a small world? Did you stay at Sea Colony? I believe we were in Harbor House. We just love Bethany Beach! I couldn't believe how quiet it was in September! My friends and I stayed in Dover. It was very strange to be there without the kids even though they're all grown up. If I go to a beach in the fall again it'll have to be a different beach.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Karri! Wanted to sneak in to say my sister moved to Millville DE last fall and they're about five miles from Bethany and have spent the warmer winter days biking to Bethany. I guess they're in for a shock as traffic and people pick up as the weather gets warmer. :) Since we get to OCMD a couple times a year we've passed through to check out their new home a couple of times.
 
Hi, Julie! Millvale is a nice little village, super close to Bethany and great for biking. As we are usually coming/going into Bethany on Saturdays I always say that I'd stay off the roads on Saturday if I lived nearby. I was surprised at how the shops closed for most of the week in September, there's so few people visiting. Your sister should LOVE September!

How are you doing?
 
I'm doing well. My knee will have a 2nd anniversary in 11 days!

Hope you and yours have a blessed Easter. :)
 
Good to hear, Julie! I'm off to church this morning, then 15 for lunch. Hope your Easteris a blessed one!
 
The knee only clicks. Hurts sometimes but not always. I would have answered the other way but I'm a technophobe and don't know how.
 
@Booboo55 , you answered on my thread. :heehee: but that's ok. Do you know how to bookmark your thread?
 
I hit the 1.5 mile mark today. A month and half ago I began walking to help me get I shape for my left TKR. Even though I was biking 8 miles everyday, I just didn't feel I was moving enough. I am not an exercise fanatic, in fact I hate exercising, but I knew I needed to move in order to lose weight and keep my BP down.

I started walking 10 min twice a day, adding 5 min every week. Then three weeks ago merged the 2 walks into one. I grit my teeth through the entire 35 minute walk, but I also am telling myself how good it is for my body and mind. So far my left knee is holding out and not causing me too much pain. I am praying it holds out for a few more months. The RTKR is doing just fine!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom