Knee Infection* One Good Leg.

Thanks, Paula, it isn't easy. I don't binge eat, sometimes I'd love a few potato chips or a scone, but I try not to cave too often. This has to be a lifestyle change for me so I don't gain the weight back. I'm hoping for 50lbs by February because it'll make things much easier for my knees.

It's just doing to be in the 60s here Tuesday, but high humidity, so I'll be biking inside.
 
Karri,
Great to hear about your activity and weight loss. I am sure you will be feeling better and able to do more. It really helps to get the weight off our joints.
 
It’s my 5 year knee-versary! I picked a doozy of a surgery for my first, it wasn’t an easy recovery, but totally worth it for me. I’m more active today than I was even 7 years ago at 55 years old. Today I cycled 9.5 miles (in my family room), walked 2.5 miles, made snickerdoodle cookies (for a friend), and went to the grocery store. My TKR gave me back my life! I thank the Lord everyday for my new knee and what it allows me to do!
 
What a blessing new knees are! Yours gave a trial, that's for sure, but you are reaping the benefits now!
 
@KarriB I think I’ve read you are on antibiotics for life, due to your knee infection, is that right?

How has that affected your stomach/digestive system thus far, these past 5 years?

My sister in law was very sick a couple of years ago and it took a lot to get her better and she ended up with all the good bacteria gone, about 2 years later and had quite a time getting back close to normal. For her, they were able to accomplish that through diet alone.
 
@Jockette I’ve been on antibiotics for 5 years at the end of November. After the BIG time antibiotics I was put on 200 mg of doxycycline for about a year then my ID took it down to 100mg. We talk about C dif every year, she runs labs every year to check for bacteria, both good and bad. That first year I had to be close to bathroom at all times, my stomach was a mess even with taking a probiotic. But eventually my stomach settled down and now it’s usually fine with infrequent flare ups. Next week is my annual ID check up. I always wonder if she’ll take me off the antibiotics if the labs are bad.
 
My sister in law had a bad time. Over a period of time, I don’t remember how long, she lost 20 lbs. without trying. And she’s tall and thin and didn’t need to lose any weight.

Her GP put her on a liquid diet for a while and gradually added other foods in. She eats very small meals now. But she’s ok now, but she has to be careful.

I’m glad you are doing well. I just got to wondering about the length of time you were/are on antibiotics and if it was affecting you.
 
@Jockette one problem I did have from the BIG antibiotics (oral and IV together) was that my body stopped producing white cells. While on the BIG antibiotics a home nurse took blood for labs weekly and when my white count declined so much the ID took me off all antibiotics and I was housebound because my body could not fight off any type of infection. It took 2 weeks before the white cell count began to climb.
 
I’m back from Scotland. My first day there I walked EIGHT miles in Edinburgh! My RTKR did great, my left knee was terribly painful. It did recuperate in a few days. I’m home now and back to my usual work outs. I just read a few posts back where I mentioned a 20lb weight loss. I’m now up to 65lbs gone and feel so good! Monday-Thursday I’m walking, swimming (I can only swim on those days) and biking, my own little mini triathlon! The goal is to have an easier recuperation when I have the left knee done and to travel when I can.
 
Welcome back! I'm glad you had such a great trip, but am also sorry your left knee was a party pooper. Congrats on the weight loss! I just hit 20 lbs down after totally changing my menus and the foods I eat. I have a bit to go to catch up to you.....well, not quite, as fortunately I stopped the gain in it's tracks so have to lose maybe 20 or 25 more-we shall see. But 65 down is an amazing accomplishment! I can only dream of walking even one or two miles so am thrilled for you that you can walk eight miles!
 
Yay, KarriB! What a wonderful trip with a wonderful new knee. I hope your old one calms down and lets you enjoy your normal routine.
 
@lovetocookandsew I also completely changed my eating habits. No more casseroles and very little pasta. I don’t totally deprive myself of pasta because this has to be a way of life, but I’m careful of how much and never have seconds.
I’m not sure my left knee could do 8 miles again, but my RTKR definitely could.
 
@KarriB We've switched to zoodles, cauliflower rice and so on, for pasta and other starches. I also have a sheeter for my KA mixer, and I just bought the new noodle blade accessory for it, so will make a more noodely-noodle with that along with the spiralized noodles I make now. I haven't cooked any pasta at all, but I plan to occasionally cook a little brown rice in the future, and then keep the portion size small. We cut out casseroles also, along with processed sugar, sweets and all white flours. Any foods that have any kind of processed sugar in them are banished from my castle!

I do have pure maple syrup for the occasional homemade loaf of whole wheat bread I make (I use 2 tsps for an entire loaf), and some raw honey (plus a little of the maple syrup) I use for my husband's little bowl of homemade granola he eats for breakfast some days. (It's not totally low carb but it's better than what he used to eat so I allow it)

I wanted to see if I could steadily lose the weight I gained after my TKR and revision from not being able to do anything, and with still being unable to be fully active, and I'm proving it can be done. It's not easy, as I'm sure you well know, but it is possible. In three months I've lost 20 lbs, and plan to continue until I look like myself again.

Your left knee is just waiting for the day you replace it, then it'll serve you well, as does the right one now. Then you'll have two wonderful knees that will take you on many adventures!
 
That’s great @lovetocookandsew ! My dr was so happy with 29lbs in 3 months. He likes that it's slow but of course I’d like it to be faster. It seems you have a good handle on cooking with no carbs!
 
I spent a couple of months researching and learning so I could cook no/low carbs and still make sure we got balanced stats over the course of each day. 29 lbs in three months! Way to go!
 
Your 8-mile hike through Edinburgh sounds awesome. Such a wonderful city. My husband and I would like to plan another trip to Scotland but I’m hoping to get knee #2 done first!

I love that you do mini-triathlons. I’m 12 weeks out and try to do 2 of the 3 each day—so I think that makes me a bi-athlete!

Your journey to a happy knee is inspiring. :)
 
Two out of three is great! It’s what I did the last two summers and still this summer when I can’t do one of the three due to weather.
I loved Edinburgh and am already thinking of my next trip which will be based in Inverness because I love the Highlands.
 
Back
Top Bottom