Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* One Good Leg.

What a shame you get bronchitis from inside pools. It must be the water treatment they use. But, you are doing great. I know what you mean about building yourself up for the #2! That's on the back of my mind, too.
 
I've been away at our yearly beach vacation in Delaware. Four years ago this is where my right knee gave up the ghost and caused me so much pain I could only stay in the house and walk using 2 canes. My TKR came three months later. Both knees (my RTKR and my gimpy left one) held up through all the sand and my continued walking and lap swimming. I'm so grateful!
[Bonesmart.org] One Good Leg.
 
It's so good to hear how well both of your knees did, especially in the sand! Wow, that's a real test! It's good to have you back!
 
45 minutes is a good time. I wouldn't worry about pushing too much beyond that. You have a life to live. :) I'm making sure I walk around the block at least three days a week, and I usually do four. It's not much, but I raised my daily step goal by 500 steps, and I've been meeting it most days. I eventually plan to get my daily goal to the "nirvana" 10,000 steps, but for now, I'm happy to usually meet or exceed 5500. (My goal has always been at least 5000, but for a long, long time, I couldn't do more than 3000.) For now, I'm going for consistency. Once I get the easy habit down, I'll work on extending distance -- that's easy to do. I don't have any problem doing the distance, but I want to get on to doing other things in my day.
 
@PolarBear60 , I walked a few days at the beach on the promenade decking surrounding the buildings, but on days when it's hot/humid I bike inside for 45 minutes and lap swim for 45 minutes. I'll work on walking more than once a day when the weather cools down (probably fall). I hadn't biked in 10-11 days and when I did it today my left knee hurt at first, then did some clicking, but by the time I was finished it was still ok. Jean, I'm glad you've been able to get your walks in even with the heat.

@PegGar16 the couple on the right side surprised us! Sean and his wife are Army, stationed in Tacoma at Fort Lewis. The day we arrived I took a load of things to the house, came back outside and there they were! No idea they were joining the family! He hasn't been with us at the beach for 6 years! So it was fabulous!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely family, Karri!
I'm glad you had a good time and your knees behaved themselves.
 
What a wonderful surprise! Family, beach and working knees...what else do you need? ..lol. Happy you had a great vacation:)
 
Saw my PCP yesterday. After my April appointment I set up another to see how my weight loss was going as well as my change in thyroid medication. We lowered my levothroid, but cholesterol, blood sugar, etc was all good.

Well, my PCP nearly skipped into the room, I'd say he was surprised. I've only weighed myself once since April because this needs to be a lifestyle change for me, not a diet. Turns out I'm down 20lbs and it only took FOUR months. :doh:I do wish it was more, but everyone says it's better to do this slowly, I have gained back weight I've lost before and would rather that not happen again. The 90 total minutes of cardio 5 days a week is helping. The walking is making my TKR leg stronger and I'm hoping the weight loss helps my natural left knee too. So I'll have an ice cream cone to celebrate and get back on the wagon. Unfortunately swimming season is over for me so I'm left with biking and walking. My doc encouraged me to keep the actvity going. I'm really trying to get in better shape before the LTKR is scheduled.
 
i'm just now seeing the photo you posted several posts back. it's a lovely photo of all of you. you said who the couple on the right were, but who are the others in the photo? i assume it's your family and you have a beautiful family. your dog is adorable too. that's wonderful about your weight loss ~ the best way to lose weight. hope you enjoy that ice cream cone.:flwrysmile:
 
@Thesoutherncook yes, I've thought of how weight loss parallels recovery. Patience is needed for both! It's just the beginning though, this has to be for life.

@liam2015 Thank you, they are wonderful kids! Drew is on the left (22) and Ashley is front (she's 31 but doesn't look a day over 21) Sean (27) and his wife Therese are stationed in Tacoma, which means we don't get to see them often. They are not my children by birth, but I love them as if they were.
 
Last edited:
Congratulations on your weight loss. You're doing it the right way. Hopefully your 'natural' knee appreciates your weight loss.
 
Great picture @KarriB. You all look so happy! And congrats on the weight loss. Slowly is the best way for long term success. It's sure is a struggle though. Keep up the good work.
 
Hi @KarriB, I hope you are doing well! That was a beautiful picture of your family. A long while back when I was climbing the walls, you recommended a book, The Nightingale, to me. I purchased the electronic version immediately and found I wasn't able to concentrate enough then to read. I started it a few days ago, what a great book. The problem is I don't have enough time to read now! I'm stealing minutes to read every chance I get. I hope you have a great Labor Day!
 
Not being able to focus enough to read was so disappointing to me after my TKR because I had loaded up my Kindle pre-op. It took months before I could read a book, but thankfully I was able to read my Bible. I'm glad you're enjoying The Nightingale. It was a hard book to put down. I believe a movie is being of it.
 
I also downloaded books onto my Kindle... and couldn't focus enough to read anything. Or write anything. It was frustrating. So many worlds to visit and no gumption to turn the page. Now I have to take a look at The Nightingale!
 
@SusieShoes , The Nightingale was one of the best books I've read and I've read a lot of books. It's by Kristin Hannah, a totally different genre for her from,what I can tell from her other titles.
 
Karri, your weight loss is such a blessing! All that activity is paying off in very positive ways! Keep up the good work! With the cooler weather it'll be easier to ride and walk. Of course, tomorrow is supposed to to 90*. Summer is back down here.

The Nightingale is wonderful! Karri suggested it to me a few months ago.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom