Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* One Good Leg.

Congrats on walking even if you grit your teeth a bit. A few weeks ago when I was seeing the surgeon for an appt a lady asked me if I was in a lot of pain as I walked by her. Well, yes, since my knee that needs surgery grinds so much my facial expression must really show deeply. I am envious of people who can cross their legs, get up and walk anywhere without help, or do most anything normal with knees these days. Wishing you success in getting ready for your next surgery. In my head, I think about getting my other one done soon, so I can understand your anticipation. Continue to keep the steps coming.
 
@KarriB, I'm walking 3-5 miles a day according to my Fitbit, but only riding my bike about 15 miles a week. You have me way beat there. Likewise, so far my left is holding up ok. I have to get the new knee/leg stronger before it can take over full duty for a few months! I wish I did ride like you do. I think that's the best exercise for building strength. Maybe in time.
 
Thank you, Ginger. Maybe one day I'll enjoy it!

Paula, I'm jealous of your 3-5 miles a day. I have the time to walk another 1.5 miles, but I'm trying to protect my left knee. It doesn't particularly hurt after walking, but it is sore by the end of the day, so I'm holding off on doing the other mile. I do ponder it every afternoon though. I'm praying it gets me through the summer.
 
The old knee doesn't hurt to ride the bike? Mine does. You are blessed to be able to ride that much. Are you using any resistance?

Walking isn't bad on my old one, actually it feels good if I don't misstep. Hills, steps, lifting, and standing after sitting all do bother it, though.
 
No resistance because I know that'll end up hurting. I do go really fast, 8 miles in 45 minutes. I feel really good right after walking, but by the evening I'm a little sore. I wish I had walked more during my recovery, but it was a rough ride and I tended to really baby my TKR.
 
That's definitely good for your cardio system! Good for you!
 
Well @KarriB, I can't believe it but I hadn't read your entire thread. I really thought I had because I knew so many things that happened to you. You do such an amazing job of checking in on people, encouraging and sharing. Early on in my brain fog I assumed I read it.

Today I had my epidural for my back and have strict orders to only be up to the bathroom. I have lots of time on my hands till Saturday! It took be quite a while but I read it all. Your courage and faith were so inspiring, and also a little convicting! I have let things get me down far too easily in this battle. Thank you for all the time you take to encourage everyone. I didn't really get that I hadn't been reading your thread but all your many notes to others! I hope you get that other knee done when it's right for you. Thanks again, you inspire me.:loveshwr:
 
Thank you for your kind words, @becticu . I do use a lot of my experience while advising others, so it's totally understandable. My TKR showed me that He is able to do more than we can ask or imagine. He brought me to my "knees" that's for sure! :yes:
I hope the epidural helps your back.
 
Thank you Jaschembra! It's a few years old, taken at my nephew's wedding.
 
Something very cool happened over the last few days. Back in March I began walking and have built up to 45 minutes every morning (except now when it's too stinking hot). I also still ride my recumbent bike 8 miles in 45 minutes. Once I begin swimming every summer it usually takes a week or longer to build my lap swimming up to 15-20 laps. Well, because of the chilly summer, Monday was my first lap day, I did 8 laps easily before my time was up. Tuesday I managed to get there on time and swam 15 laps or 30 lengths without stopping or even being out of breath!
I've been seeing the benefits of walking all along (even though I despise it). I can of course walk without issues when shopping etc., my BP is good, stamina is obviously good, but what's really great is I can stand for looooooong periods of time. This week is too hot and humid so I probably won't get any walking in at all, but I am so amazed at how it has affected my swimming. I have access to a treadmill, but I'm on the fence about using it.
 
Karri, it is amazing how much walking can help our whole bodies! I'm different from you. I love to walk. I was unable to do it for years without using a cane. Up until the injury, I was walking without it, and rejoiced every minute I was free of that thing! Now, when the injury heals, hopefully, the foot and ankle will let me be cane-free again. Riding my bike will be in my future, too. Outside riding is so much different than inside riding. I can't seem to get into riding on my recumbent bike that much. Excellent job you are doing on it!

Being able to do so many laps is amazing! You are in excellent shape. And it sounds like walking has gotten you there. Too bad it's so hot and steamy now and you can't get out in it. Have you tried walking before breakfast before the sun is so hot? That's when I do my yard work.
 
I tried getting up early, but I got as far as my driveway and turned around. I cannot take the heat unless I'm in a pool. I'm in great shape except for my weight, but I just keep working on it. I feel the same way about walking inside on a treadmill. In the bike I make sure something good is on tv and I can ride FAST for the whole 45 minutes. My knees actually feel better when I walk and I do wish I had done it earlier, but I never had the energy after a day of teaching.
 
Karri ~ that's wonderful you are improving more and more as the days and weeks go by. i wish i could swim like you. i couldn't even do that on my best day before my knee started to hurt 10 years ago. also excellent you can stand for a longer time ~ that's where a lot of us have problems with lower back. :thumb:
 
I look forward to being able to swim again. Laps are my favorite thing, though not swimming in pools with lots of other swimmers... I like a lap lane to myself, and that's not easy to get at my health club. I figure I might be ready for a little Aqua-cise in a few months, to get me into better shape for trying laps. I'm taking it slow. But a pool sounds like heaven right now. Walking in the early morning is a great idea for summer. So much cooler!
 
What a great report on activity!! I bought a swimmers snorkel a couple weeks ago and I'm loving it - still working on keep a nose plug on while using it. But it's nice not having to turn my head so much to one side only (I can do both sides, but it's nice not even thinking about it).
 
what good news! I have dogs and so walking is a requirement for morning and evening!! 2 miles each way. I still do feel like it is not quite enough and need to bike or yoga or something else.
 
Wow, wonderful news, you should be very proud! I love, love, love to walk and hike and that has always been my therapy. Everyone is different. I do know that it takes a lot more energy and muscle power to swim laps than it does to walk, even if it's speed walking. I tried to swim laps in the past and I was pathetic! You are working and toning all over with swimming! :wowspring::happydance::yay:
 
Thanks everyone for the encouragement! :roseshwr: I'm really trying to get into better shape so when my left knee gives up the ghost I'm prepared. I seem to have hit a wall with the 45 minutes mark and it may be fall with cool weather before I can get past it. I can be a real lump, but now that I'm not teaching, exercising seems to be my "job".

Inside pools seem to bother my respiratory system. After a few weeks of swimming inside I seem to come down with bronchitis like symptoms, so I'm just a summer swimmer.

I'm just so blessed my knee and RTKR are allowing me to be more active even though I'm 3.5 years post op.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom