TKR On the road to recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't you have a rough start? :scratch: And this thread's title is "difficult recovery". It all counts. And your surgeon must have found issues during surgery else he would have been able to get it to more than 100.
I woke up from surg in unbearable pain
I was released w Rxs for Percocet 2 pills every 6 hrs. Just not enough for me at this point.
I pushed myself w the pt in spite of pain because I feared my knee freezing up
I just took on too much. Two appts and driving and getting prepared for all that. Shower dressing well. A bit of makeup and jewelry. More than I have done in 6 wks. So whe I got home 5 hrs later in PAIN and swollen
 
I titled it so because I knew so little about the process and how we all suffer. Plus I was pushed hard both by myself and PT the first 3 weeks but that stopped. I have gotten to 120 I believe. My complications were prior surgeries which whipped my body.
I am indeed still suffering quite a bit but I am better. And encouraged really. This forum has opened my eyes wide to how difficult this TKR is. Truly brutal.
So 6 more weeks you think? I am so grateful to all of you.
 
I think that was roughly what I was getting at! Forgive my roundabout way of doing it!
Yes, given all you went through then and where you are at now at 9 weeks, I would say that.
 
Thanks, Josephine!
Today is a better day all round. Interesting how good and bad days seem to almost alternate. Well maybe more good now than bad actually.
Would be be able to rename my thread Maggie May TKR 9/5/13 On the road to recovery. ? Thanks!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I've edited your thread title except for your name - it's on all of your posts and shows as the thread starter, your TKR - you have a thread prefix saying that, and the date of surgery which is in your signature.

Glad you're feeling better today.
 
Sounds like your moving along nicely also maggie may. Remember your own advice and don't overdo it. :)
 
I always tend to overdo it, thanks for reminding me !
I have renamed my thread to a more optimistic tone. When I began on this forum I was just finishing my 3rd grueling week of nonstop pushing PT and pain. Then I met all of you, read your stories, and my life and recovery changed. True that.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I am back from my moms. Well it wasn't the best. By the time I got home today my knee was ruby red and swollen. I am icing and elevating and my husband is tending to me, bless his heart. The problem was the driving but also that my mom, who is 91, just wasn't able to do much so I ended up overdoing it.
I will bounce back tomorrow I am sure! And it was good to see mom!!




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
maggie may, its so good that you were able to see your mom but I'm sorry you overdid it. You know what to do though, rest, ice and elevate. I have felt bad because I have not been to visit my father as much as I did before the surgery. He is almost 94 and has worried about me. I have been overdoing it lately too and am doing a lot of icing and elevating. My knee is beginning to feel and look a lot better. We will get through this and be so much better as time flies by.:egypdance:
 
Think about this---now you know what is too much. So, try to avoid flaring up your knee again by doing too much. Your knee needs to heal----flaring it up and then icing it down is couterproductive. Much better to face the fact that you are in rehab---you cannot do everything that you usually do---in fact--if you are up and doing things for an hour or two--you need to elevate and ice your knee for an hour. Take things slowly---going full tilt and then having to catch up is not the way to recover from this surgery.
 
Oh dear - well I'm sure your mom meant well! Hope you recover very soon.

A little off topic comment since you mention your mom is 91: I was watching the Remembrance Day service at the Cenotaph this morning and the Queen took her wreath, walked steadily to the memorial, UP two steps, bent down to lay the wreath, walked backwards down the steps and stood for the obligatory moment to honour the fallen. All without a single wobble or stumble. She is 87 years old! It boggles my mind to imagine someone still being so good on her feet at that age!

[Bonesmart.org] On the road to recovery
 
Thank you all. I really don't think I am overdoing it often when I am home. I do a few things around the house but nothing strenuous or time consuming. When I have to drive somewhere I plan my trips very simply or as much as I can. I will think that through though. Maybe I am overdoing still and just not realizing it.
Lee and Crystal , I tend to overdo as you know!

But at moms I did everything that needed doing basically. She tried but....
Lesson learned?
I woke at 5 in pain so took a pill. Will rehab today!!
Thanks! :-)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
You did great, you had to go to see Mom and you knew it would be difficult but when you came home you rested right away. Sometimes, there are limited choices when something like this needs to be done. Choices have to be made and when it is people we love involved who need us we tend to push and for Mom it is a necessity.

Have a good day. Lee
 
Thanks! I want you all to know that I just realized today!!! That I have had the ability to like and agree with other peoples posts! I have been using Tapatalk and can't figure out how to do that so now I am at the regular website. Does anyone know about Tapatalk? Anyway I am sorry to have been neglecting all of you I didn't know!!!
 
Just like life, the internet is a place where there's always something new to learn! :thumb:
 
I found out yesterday from TMJ MRI results that I will likely need surgery on my jaws. I have had TMJ issues for years but the last year has killed me. I have had several surgeries (intubations) and the cushion in my joints is gone. The left jaw is out of alignment. I go to a specialist in New Orleans next Tuesday and see what he thinks.
I have been in terrible moaning jaw pain. I can barely open my mouth 2 fingers. Trouble eating. My jaw pops and crunches and locks up. I wear a night guard all the time now. Thank goodness I am taking pain pills for my knee because I need them for my jaw. :-(


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Maggie May I'm so sorry you are going the jaw problems in addition to the knees. :console2: I'll say some prayers that you get your health issues resolved quickly and easily.
 
I overdid it yesterday at PT so therefore I am up at 3 am with pain and swelling. Lessons relearned. My last official PT visit is Monday and then I will sprout wings!!!

My plan is to ride my recumbent bike at home every other day or so. On other days I will do a little strength training with light ankle weights.

I really want to get on the floor and stretch but don't think I can get up and down yet.

What do you all think? I won't begin this routine for about a week because of drs appts, going to moms.

Sounds like a lot, maybe?

But I have always been active and miss it. I am at 10 weeks and doing well for the most part.

I am going to see the surgeon about my jaw on Tuesday and worried about that. Good grief.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom