TKR On the road to recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonderful Maggie May!! You certainly have been thru some ups and downs lately. Here's to more ups then downs :cheers: . Keep it up. You are an inspiration.:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks,all

Which brings me to a question? How many of you out there are having surgeries due at least in part to an accident? Mine is combo of preexisting arthritis and trauma.

Hi maggie may - my TKR surgery is totally the result of an accident. I slipped on ice in 2010 causing my knee to dislocate bending backwards around 40 degrees rupturing all major knee ligaments (cruciates/collaterals), fracturing my leg, damaging the meniscus and fraturing the surface of the bone inside the knee joint. I was left with major instability and dislocation risk as the knee that could be moved very easily 20-30 degrees in all 4 directions. As a result I also developed post traumatic arthritis especially where the bone surface crumbled away

So my operation was a large one with a hinged prothesis and long support stems set into the femur and tibia - hence my current issues with bone/bone marrow inflamation
 
So here's the thing:

Sometimes I say impulsive things or speak straightforwardly and may offend. If I have I apologize.

I feel so bad for the oil rig worker and worry about his future but maybe I didn't word it delicately enough. I wish we could talk. If you read this pls answer.

I talked about my fear of out of control pain and self-fulfilling prophesies but surely don't want to suggest that out of control pain is inevitable. Or any of our fears for that matter!

And I start describing my multiple right knee ops and go on about Hurricane Katrina.

Sometimes I guess I get kind of James Joyce.

One more note: I suffer psychiatric illnesses and take medications. I take Prozac, Xanax and seroquel. But I am stable and have handled the stressors of this surgery rather well.

So if I go on a bit too much or off track I am sorry.
I mean only the best !!!!
Maggie May


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
Maggie, hon.....you don't have to apologize. You're doing just fine here. You've just had major surgery and you're allowed to be grumpy, sad, happy, talkative, bouncy, or whatever you want when you're with your BoneSmart family. We definitely understand the full range of emotions that come along with joint replacement recovery.
 
Thank you Jamie for your kindness!!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
Just what I was going to say! I was rather :scratch: when I read your post, Maggie! There's so problems that I can see.
 
good news on the bike.
 
To all of you on the forum

I have come to realize that, entirely because of you, I have learned to chill when it comes to PT. Listen to my body and not allow anyone to order me to force my knee to pain. To overdo. I still go to PT but don't know how much longer. So much I can do at home. I have a recumbent bike and ankle weights and the great outdoors to walk. I will do fine. I am at 120 and 0 but not obsessing about that either. I was in the first 3 weeks and I pushed myself relentlessly until my pain was out of control and I could not sleep. I realize you have to get some ROM but I don't know enough about the deadlines drs put on this....

Still have pain and still trouble sleeping but better. Going to PT today.

Anyway thank you all!!!!!!!!!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
120/0 is a great ROM - you are doing really well :yay:
 
Your ROM is excellent. Good for you to listen to your body and do what is right for you. :flwrysmile:
 
I am now at 8 weeks. So I have begun doing more, including appts and of course PT. And more things around the house. Still swelling and pain. Still not sleeping well.

Well, yesterday I guess my body gave up. I had an appt and went to it. By the time I got home and ate I climbed into bed at 5 pm and didn't get up until 6 am. I woke up probably 6 times during the night and took a pain pill once but I kept falling back asleep. I had had it!!

There is just so much we can take before our bodies and minds say no more!! Lessons learned!

I am still tired today and have 2 appts including PT but I will go.

How are you all?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Yup, our bodies do just knock us out some days. I have returned to work -worked Mon and Tues - came home and barely ate and was in bed. Today I am off and slept from 8p to 8a myself but of course not without interruptions. I will take it easy today and get some energy built up for tomorrow and work.

A whole nights sleep is a wonderful thing and I am glad you had a whole night of sleep. Lee
 
Would suggest you take a couple of days of kneecation and rest. I'm sure you'll agree your healing needs should come first.
 
Well I made my first appt but cancelled PT. Just couldn't do it. Done.
Tomorrow off then PT Friday.
Best to all of you!!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I had a bad week, I guess. Medically. My knee is progressing but still pain, swelling, and troubled sleep. My whole body is out of whack from walking out of balance. It's not just our knee but really our whole body that suffers the brunt of this surgery!!!

That you can all identify with!!! Muscles ache all over. I went to get a massage at my chiropractor and she found every sore muscle I had in my lower body! But it was so good for me. I recommend it to anybody who has access to deep tissue massage.

To go off subject for a moment. I am having an MRI on my jaw Tuesday to determine whether the jaw bone is rubbing on jaw bone with no more cushion. I am in massive pain. Anyway I may be looking at yet more surgery down the road.

Also going to my moms this week (100 miles away) to take both her and me to cardiologist for tests. I have valve issues.

Any advice on driving 2 hours? My TKR is left leg.

Anyway thanks for listening and understanding!!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Did my last post go through? I got no responses. :(


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
[Bonesmart.org] On the road to recovery
maggie may, I think you'll be exhausted and in pain [Bonesmart.org] On the road to recovery after driving for 2 hours to get to your Mom's; then getting to the docs and all the sitting and waiting; then back to Mom's and another 2 hours to get back home. I really think it's too much for just 2 months post op.


Probably not what you wanted to hear. Maybe you could recruit a friend to go with you to do the driving.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Thank you so much. I guess I didn't explain myself well. I will drive 2 hours. Stay at moms for 3 days and go to drs. Then drive home. It will still be exhausting but I will do it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom