TKR On the road to recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, all. I have been enlightened by all of you, your stories and advice. Will continue to read and update mine.
Love


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
You can also split the exercises up during the day if you want. do half then ice and elevate and then later do the other half--and ice and elevate.
 
You don't know what to do .... well I sympathise with you. It's a real tug-of-war when you feel you really ought to comply with the 'professionals', after all, one did the surgery and the other is apparently under his orders so it's reasonable to suppose that they must know best, yes? And then we all come along proselytizing a different religion which is terribly confusing for you and now you don't know which way to turn. But we have one significant factor that the surgeon and the PT don't - we've been through this surgery and our advice comes from first hand experience. We know what works and what's a hazard. However, in the final analysis, the choice is yours. Choose wisely! :wink:
 
I cannot imagine a post-operative knee doing "kicks." Movements should be slow.

All these are training exercises that are putting force through your knee.

The name "kicks" is a misnomer, because all these exercises are meant to be done slowly. They are really stretches, not training or muscle strengthening, and don't put much force through the knee if done correctly. I did each and every one of these exercises in home PT starting at 4 weeks, and had little problem. But I only did 10 reps each.
 
Hi all, I think the proper elevation and icing are helping. I feel a little better. Tiny steps. I have another question:
What about taking short walks w the cane? Outside I mean.
 
Hi MM I've come to your thread because I've received a couple of messages from you which don't appear to be for me. Its not a problem, but just thought I'd mention. You have a lot of good advice so far. Hope you get the main under control. I am 7.5 month post op and only now is it starting to feel not too bad. Carol
 
Arg. I feel so bad for you. One thing I did was take Advil 800mg 3 times a day from week 2. It both helped with the pain and helped reduce swelling! That made it easier to do any exercise. If I felt overly stiff I did only 5 reps. I cut down the Advil to night time only when I started getting good ROM and less pain.

Good luck, make your own decisions and stick to them. Don't let them push you too hard.
 
Very short walks should be ok. Start with very short--maybe like 5 minutes and see how you do. And I'd make sure it's even ground.
 
What about taking short walks w the cane? Outside I mean.
Absolutely! You're 5½ weeks out now - more than time for that. Did you read the articles tha were left for you? Specially the one Progression of activity for TKRs.
One thing I did was take Advil 800mg 3 times a day from week 2.
Yikes! That's a heck of a dosage. Obviously you're not aware of the dangers of taking NSAIDs? NSAIDs, acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) differences and dangers. Besides which, they are not intended for this kind of swelling, meaning from trauma (surgery is trauma!). My guess is that your leg just settled down on it's own anyway.
If I felt overly stiff I did only 5 reps.
VERY sensible!
 
Maggie May , I had my rktr sept 5 also . You seem to be ahead I me in the exercising . The pain mangagement is a tough one or me also .
 
Hi,Maggie May,and welcome:flwrysmile: to BoneSmart and the other side.
Congrads on your new knee and you couldn't be in a better place with people who can encourage,help
and offer suggestions expecially Josephine,our mother hen.
I can't speak for anyone else and what they had done, but had my RTKR on September 9th,2013 and I had the Left one done on June,14th,2010.
Funny how we can remember the exact date we had our knees replaced but can't always remember
other stuff.
I don't believe someone could forget when they had their knees replaced.
I can't even think of going through a Hematomia:shocked: and what you went through before.
Wow,you are a trooper:puppysmooze::kittykiss: for dealing with all that and this is the best place to be with the best
people that care about you and can understand what you are going through.
:friends:
We're here for one another and I wish you all the best.Morningstar
 
Pjmc
So good to hear from you! Pls tell me your story. What kind of fitness level were you before surgery? I was riding my recumbent bike 3 miles most days before sept 5 so I was better prepared for the pt. Nothing nothing prepared me for the uncontrollable PAIN!!!
Pls tell me what's going on with you. Thanks! MM
 
Thanks, Morningstar,
I had my right knee replaced in 2004. Continued to have severe pain in my kneecap area. Anyway we moved South and I went to a new OS who informed me that when the knee replacement was done THEY DID NOT REPLACE MY KNEECAP!!!! So I had to do the whole thing again in sept 2005. (I looked into suing the first OS but was told that this procedure was considered acceptable in the 80's. I was furious!!!!)
Anyway my ride knee is excellent now.
For some reason I don't remember the pain being so bad last time. This time has been overwhelming!!
How about you? Tell me! MM
 
Hi Maggie May,

How is your pain today? I hope its better.

I had a good night because I did not skimp on my pain meds knowing I have a refill coming but I will need to begin to save them for physical therapy but it sure felt good to get some sleep with less pain.

It may be that you were not in this pain almost 10 years ago because there was better pain control then and docs were not stingy yet with meds. Could that be?

I see my primary care doc next Monday but I don't hold out much hope there until I'm done with the os anyway. Let me know if you get some adequate pain control.
 
Hi Crystal
I slept a little better but still woke up in pain about midnight. I feel better today. Going to PT today.
Let me know how you do w your appt next Monday. Mine in next Tuesday.
MM
 
A lighthouse in the storm of recovery

This is the best description of this forum yet. It truly is a lighthouse and this recovery is certainly a storm. :)

All my best to you Maggie, it is so hard to know the amount of exercise that is not too much but not too little. i still struggle with that, but am learning.
 
Today was meltdown day. I just took on too much. Two appts and driving and getting prepared for all that. Shower dressing well. A bit of makeup and jewelry. More than I have done in 6 wks. So whe I got home 5 hrs later in PAIN and swollen I called PT and cancelled my appt tomorrow. Won't be back till Friday. Tomorrow I will rest and take a walk. Thanks for listening!!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
That is definitely a lot for the first time in 6wks. That is one of the hardest things is to remember that we are still not normal in energy when we start doing things on our own. Look what a wonderful decision to cancel PT tomorrow and rest. Let us know how you are doing tomorrow after a rest.
 
Yes, this overdoing seems to be common. It's so hard to remember after surgery that our bodies have been thru so much and we will tire so easily. I'd suggest you try not to have more than one appointment in a day and sure you need to shower, but makeup and jewelry aren't necessary. Part of recovery is accepting that some things have to fall by the wayside until energy level is back to normal. It's better to take it slow and easy. You're going to want to do more than your body is ready for. Be very patient, listen to the Bonesmart mantra, and you'll be glad you did. Best wishes!:flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom