TKR On the road to recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Maggie May. I had both knees done and drove three hours at eight weeks. Just expect to be stiff kneed when you get out of the car. Stopping briefly to stretch your legs once or twice would be a good idea. And plan on elevating your leg once you get there, with ice if you can. Allow time for that everyday. Have a good trip!
 
Thanks so much! I will do as you say. Of course going to moms is stressful shall we say? But I hope I can enjoy it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
At eight weeks, I was still very stiff ---especially at the end of the day---both knees.

It would be great if somebody else could drive you---and you can take breaks during the drive, say every half-hour or so. It took me quite some time to lose the stiffness.
 
No one to drive me but I will take breaks. I will post once I get there and let you all know how I am. Thanks!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Eight weeks and my knee is stiff and painful . I have not been able to drive mine is right knee. Let us know how you do please.
 
Thank you and I will let you know. Mine is left leg and that makes a difference. However I anticipate much stiffness and discomfort.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
In honor of Jaycees kitty Ben I thought I would post some pics of my kitties

[Bonesmart.org] On the road to recovery
[Bonesmart.org] On the road to recovery



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
[Bonesmart.org] On the road to recovery
and
[Bonesmart.org] On the road to recovery


maggie may, How about names, ages, and sex? There are a lot of us feline fans on the fourm who want to know all that stuff. I suspect that if I live long enough, I'll be that strange little old lady with the house full of cats.
 
Thanks!!

Yuri aged 10

Kappie 3legged Hurricane Katrina survivor found in New Orleans age unknown about 12

Morse age 8

Emily (only girl) age 8

Victor (trapped and brought in, FIV positive, a love bug ) age unknown about 10

Basil (trapped and brought in, too, Victors son, FIV pos, a love bug too) age 2

They are all indoor kitties and we love them dearly. They mostly get along. Emily is a princess and stays in the back of the house to her self most of the time.

What would we do without them?!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Our furry friends give us so much comfort. I only have one cat and one dog right now but at other times in my life I have had multiple cats. Maybe again someday when I retire- now work too many hours.

With the left knee the drive should be OK as long as you stop, is your car big enough to be able to straighten your left leg comfortably for some of the time when you drive and bend it - I found this really helped. Sorry, could not respond earlier as my internet was out for days - ugh

Have a safe trip when you go and I hope you get good results from the cardiologist. Lee:kittykiss: :flwrysmile:
 
[Bonesmart.org] On the road to recovery
Oh! maggie may! how wonderful that you've taken these sweeties into your home. They are very lucky---and, of course, you are too!

Both my babies were strays that we took in when they were abandoned as kittens. Sneaky Pie, a grey tabby, going on 9 is the queen bee, but always sweet and a bit lazy as she weighs about 15lbs. Sam, a black muscular dude, is going on 5 and is a hunter extrodinaire (brought a small mouse in the house last night-swept it out with a broom). He wants to be the alpha cat, but Sneaks will not allow it.They give me hours of pleasure--and are only pains once in a great while.

[Bonesmart.org] On the road to recovery
What would we do without them!
 
Maggie May - difficult recovery. I too am having a difficult recovery. I had TKR on my left knee after years of pain & limited range of motion. I also have Charcot Marie tooth disease (an inherited neuromuscular disorder affecting my lower legs/arms feet/hands. my 1st week of recovery was horrible, I was so sick on the pain meds I couldn't eat. If I managed to get food down it would come back up. I finally stopped the pain meds. Then the very next day while walking w/walker I felt a pop & tearing in the knee. It was very painful & scared the **** out of me. I also couldn't move my lower leg. Turns out I had some scar tissue break thru & also tore some soft tissue from around the sutures. My OS said he did more than TKR as my knee was one of the worst he's seen. He also said it will take time for everything to heal. I've been doing at home PT and follow up w/OS on the 12th. I've seen improvement in leg strength and am able to move my lower leg more & more but my knee still buckles from time to time which scares the you know what out of me. I have stayed at my mom's who has been caring for me but hope to go home after my appt & start outpatient phys therapy. I appreciate hearing that this does take a much longer recovery than I expected. It keeps everything in perspective but it is hard not to get discouraged.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Yes, demurph, this truly began as a difficult journey for me as well as many others. I am 8 weeks postop and was postop a cervical diskectomy by 8 weeks when I had my TKR. Needless to say my body has been whipped
So I did have a very difficult time in the first few weeks or so. Actually it was hell. But then I found a great PT and this great forum and that helped me back off to the point where I could manage pain and get things a bit under control. So that I could
Rest and
Sleep and
Heal

It takes quite a while to recover and we are both just beginning. Together. All of us
 
I made it to my moms but was quite stiff and swollen and sore. So I iced and elevated. I did ok. Tomorrow going to cardio for heart tests. We shall see. I miss my kitties!!!
 
So I guess I am suffering more after effects from my 100 mile drive than I thought. Also lugging about 10 packages into the house, one by one. I rested elevated and iced all afternoon and went to bed early but woke up 3 hours later in pain and swollen (also uncomfortable in different bed). So took pain pill just now and elevating and icing and reading the forum.

A bit of a setback but I must say that at almost week 9 I think I have reached a new plateau in terms of ordinary pain levels ( not quite so acute) and my gait is better. Still a long way to go, I realize, but I am encouraged and want to pass that on to those of you suffering so much right now.

A bit of bad news: my chronic jaw problems (TMJ) have become quite acute and terribly painful and debilitating. (Having several surgeries and intubations this year didn't help!). I had an MRI this week and might need to see an OS (another one!!!!) if bone is rubbing bone, as they fear. Much like the knee, the jaw has a meniscus which serves as a cushion. Well mine might be gone. More surgery?!?!

It is what it is. And whatever it is it CANT be as bad as TKR !!! Ha!

Best to you all!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
myTMJ has become quite acute and terribly painful and debilitating. I had an MRI this week and might need to see an OS (another one!!!!) if bone is rubbing bone, as they fear.
An OS? I thought these issues were dealt with by the facio-maxilliary chaps (often known as 'facs-max'!). It's their territory really as lots of other things are involved such as ensuring you have a decent bite. I know the TMJ has a meniscus but in no way does that make it an orthopaedic problem.
 
True I guess I will see an oral surgeon.
 
Well my almost sleepless night topped with driving to the doctor and having cardio tests melted me down. I came back to my mothers in tears with a very swollen and angry knee. Amazing how, even though I really am doing better, I can still have miserable nights and days.

How long will this pain be a major factor in my life?
A minor factor?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Because you've not had a straight forward recovery, it will take longer than usual (whatever that is!). So you are only 9 weeks out now so I'd expect you to have another 6 weeks or so of this yet. Could be less, could be more. But that would be my guess.
 
Josephine
May I ask what you mean by not a straightforward recovery? Thanks!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom