Guest viewing is limited

TKR On the road to recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much! It was actually the first time I used makeup or jewelry but you are right. Just too much too soon. I feel better now having rested. I didn't sleep can't seem to do that well yet. You all are wonderful!
 
Thank you Josephine for all the truisms about our sleep issues. So many reasons to have trouble!!! Pain! And waking up when the pain pills wear off. And as exhausted as I can be during the day I cannot nap!!! Why!? Anyone else experience that?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
I feel better now having rested.
Glad to hear that!:happydance:

Every time I've had surgery, I have found my sleep cycle completely messed up. For me, the only thing that helped was to have another comfortable spot other than my bed. I found it worked for me to move from bed to recliner, back and forth, and I've usually ended up sleeping more in the recliner. I'm not sure exactly why - in one case it was because of where my incision was that the position in the recliner was less painful, but even when I just have occasional insomnia I find it helps to relocate. Maybe once we're frustrated with being unable to sleep, we can't relax unless we have a change of scenery or position or something. In preparation for my knee replacements, I actually bought a recliner that has a power switch to raise and lower the footrest. I did not want to spend the money since I'm on a very tight budget but I knew that having a comfortable place to sleep other than my bed would be very important to my recovery.

So, anyway, I don't know where you've been trying to sleep but I certainly hope it improves for you.:sleep: It just adds frustration to a situation that already requires a huge amount of patience.
 
I had, and have always had, a one step approach to sleepless nights. I make sure I am comfy, well fed and watered (and empty! :blush:) and have something not too exciting to watch on TV. Then if I don't sleep I think that at least I am resting! And I generally found that resting invariably resulted in even just a short nap which was better than nothing. And it's often just a case of mind over matter - if you don't mind, it won't matter too much! :wink:
 
Yesterday, after I totally overdid it the day before, I had a collapse. Physical, emotional, mental. Could do very little. Total exhaustion and depression. Called a friend in tears. Just a really bad day. I have been aching from neck down due to imbalance of posture and walking and sleeping on my back. My lower back howls.

So I scheduled a Small massage today. And I woke up feeling better. Not really physically better but the rest. I have learned that we have good days and bad and that is part of the process.

Also. I meditate every day and this is profoundly helpful. I recommend Tara Brach guided meditations. You can get her CDs which include meditations on dealing w pain, fear, loss, etc. or just online to www.tarabrach.com. She is wonderful!

Btw, today has been 6 weeks since surgery.

Still sleeping erratically.

Any thoughts?!

MM


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
I well remember having a total meltdown in weeks 6. I was scheduled to attend physiotherapy for an update and had ordered a taxi to take me there but about 20 mins before the taxi arrived I was just shaking and sobbing and generally felt awful. Managed to cancel the taxi and then the physio appointment - the receptionist listened to me through my sobs and suggested I phone my GP. As it happens she was next on my list! The receptionist at the surgery was also on the ball and told the doctor immediately so she rang me right back and then, wonder of wonders, jumped into her car and came right round to see me. After about 30mins talking with me, she had me agree a plan of action and upped my pain meds. What a mercy angel she was that day!
 
My mouth dropped open when you said the surgeon came around to see you---that's when I knew that you were not a North American!!!
 
First of thank you. Second, what country do you live on? Because I want to be there! It is absolutely impossible to get a dr to call you back. Their nurses do. And home visits????? I. Am astounded!! Impressed!! I live in the dreaded South in US. Not to my choosing long story. Anyway.
I will see my OS on Monday and see what he says. And beg him for more Percocet. I will update after. My husband will be with me so important support!
My massage today was excellent. Going back next week. She found all my sore spots and soothed them.
Again, home visits???? Wow!!!! Just wow!!! MM
 
Nooo! Wasn't my surgeon, was my GP. And the surgery is only just down the road. It was a surprise to me too, let me tell you! It happens very rarely here also.
 
No dr makes house calls!!! No GPs!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
In 1990 I became an EMT in rural Maine. We had three docs in the area who came on the calls. They all did house calls, one in particular. He even carried the usual leather doctor bag. And he was so down to earth. Those were special years.

Not sure I mentioned this before, but many of us have much better luck getting our pain meds prescribed by our regular doctor. I did. And after all the stingy prescribing from my OS, after an arthroscopy last fall, he gave me an Rx for 60 percocet where I probably needed 5 or 10. The lesson is that the more they know you, the more comfortable they are prescribing narcotics. They are under a lot of pressure to be super careful prescribing, and of course in many situations they don't know enough about us to know if we're a "seeker" or not. It's laughable because, geez, at 59, are we going to suddenly use our TKR misery to scam the system for drugs??!!!
 
Thank you and after I see my OS on Monday I will go to my GP if nec. Oy vey.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
Here is a pearl of wisdom I have learned the hard way:

If you choose to go home from hospital rather than into rehab (which I highly prefer!)

You should really have someone with you the first 2-3 weeks. For up and downs for ice, drinks, etc.
But as importantly for comfort. I say comfort rather than companionship because often at this point you really don't want company. But you sure need comfort. Just a loving presence with you. Isolation can be spirit leeching at this point.

I believe this is very important!!!

Maggie


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
Your right Maggie May but if we are unable to have someone with us we always have this forum for comfort. I hope all is going well with you.
 
I was home alone 12hrs per day since my husband had to go back to work within days of my surgery. This forum was the best comfort as I could connect with people who knew what I was feeling. My husband also checked up on me by phone. In addition, with PT 3x/wk and the nurse visiting a couple of times the first 2 wks I had others check on me. It is quite doable depending on your personality and your set up. I preferred to have control over my environment and medications so it worked for me. I do not like to be on someone else's schedule and at home I could even arrange the time that worked for me for in home PT. Again, this is a personal choice for everyone.
 
No dr makes house calls!!! No GPs!!
Maggie, I live in the UK where, though still as rare as hen's teeth, these things do still happen! I'm not lying.
You should really have someone with you the first 2-3 weeks.
Some of us don't get any choice. I had not one visitor when I was in hospital and our hospitals don't permit family 'carers' to set up camp in the ward. That's what the nurses are for. And when I got home, I had expected to be on my own except my brother and his wife decided to come and stay for 5 days. When I get my other knee done (not long now) I shan't even have that pleasure! But I shall manage as I could have managed last time. As long as you're sensible and well prepared, no problem.
 
Ok I am going to ask a stupid question? What does MUA stand for?




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
Maggie May,
It stands for Manipulation Under Anesthetic. It's a procedure where you are given a general anesthetic, and the OS bends your knee in an effort to break up any scar tissue and improve your range of motion (ROM). Many here on BS have had this procedure, although I have not.

Cheers,
Roger
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom