Guest viewing is limited

TKR On the road to recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, everybody, here is my report after visiting w OS today. (Actually saw my neck surgeon too).

So the X-rays look good. My ROM and extension and incision all good. He told me in no uncertain terms that it takes a year for full recovery from TKR. He was quite reasonable about refilling Percocet and also rx for Lunesta for my sleep. So overall a good day. But exhausting!!!


Now if I can just sleep and rest!!!

Maggie May


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
Wonderful news. :) :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks!
Of course I am still not sleeping well. Will I ever again?!
MM


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
Yes, you will but when is always the question. Some nights are better and slowly you get more and more good nights with less awake periods. Still fighting through myself or should I say still yawning through it. More things to practice patience with - you would think I would be better at the patience bit by now but not really. :console2:

Hang in there - I know it passes - did with my first knee. :flwrysmile:
 
HI maggiemay wow you have had a lot to deal with !!!! I found once I stopped being bullied by experts and tookcontrol of my pain and healing and I feel better.Im taking pain medicine only when needed. sometimes Idont even need it. But Im in charge so I dont feel deprived. I find if there is one thing you should do its elevate that leg as much as you can. Elevation doesnt mean putting your feet on a stool, it means elevating your knee beyond the level of your heart .I also find elevating my bed at the foot by placing a wooden box between base and mattress helped.wishing you a happy day:yes!:
 
What a great idea elevating the whole mattress - no pillows floating away.
 
Of course I am still not sleeping well. Will I ever again?!
Let's see ... you're about 6 weeks out. as I recall weeks 5-8 were my very worst times for having sleepless nights. I hit the Tramadol then more than ever! But I found - as you will - that normality slowly creeps in. Just try as hard as you can to accept the sleeplessness and just rest, also occupy your mind with whatever aimless things you can go to. Actually, it was for that reason I started the Games Room, for people who needed something brainless to do when they couldn't sleep.
 
Thanks,all

Today was a grumpy day for me. Fed up with drs with pts with the medical industry in general. Some are wonderful but I have found through many years that they are the minority. Most are possibly excellent at what they do but have no empathy. Or maybe they aren't that great after all. Some certainly don't inspire confidence.

I had my neck surgeon (who did major surg on me 7/1), with full knowledge that I had TKR 6 weeks ago, tell me this yesterday:

I want you to get on your bike and ride it 20 minutes every day until you are sweating and your heart is pounding and you are having trouble breathing. Or go to a pool and walk across it as fast as you can for 20 minutes.

Of course, if I did the latter I would no doubt collapse and drown! He was perfectly serious. I just nodded and tried to talk to him about my legal case ( this all resulted from being rear ended on the highway in March) and he began to backpedal on that.

Which brings me to a question? How many of you out there are having surgeries due at least in part to an accident? Mine is combo of preexisting arthritis and trauma.

Any grumpy today. Thanks for listening!!!

Maggie May


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
Maggie May,
It depends what you mean by "accident". My TKR is the result of osteoarthritis from a sports injury in 1973. To me, that was quite an accident, since I was completely flattened by the center fielder while playing baseball. I tore ACL, MCL and PCL. The ER "doctor" though it was a sprain! A week later, I was no better, so I went to an OS. He said he had to operate the very next morning. He said if I had waited much longer, he would not have been able to repair the ligaments (remember, this was 1973 technology).

Cheers,
Roger
 
You are allowed grumpy and then some. :gaah: :tantrum: Some days the whole system can get to you. You are doing marvelously well using common sense. I also see you providing support for others on this site. :puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :)
 
Maggie May I'm so sorry you are having a hard time :console2:. Can you look for another doctor? I can't believe what he suggested you do. How about your primary care doctor? At least he may be able to reassure you that overdoing things as suggested won't work. Good luck and hang in there. I'll say some prayers :angel: that things go better for you very soon.:flwrysmile:
 
One has to get it out.I found when i was silent about peoples treatment of me it festered inside me. Now I tell them in no uncertain terms "I hope you never find yourself in my position or in a wheelchair."
I tend to put more value in my own experience now than that of the so called "experts" or spurts as I call them.
keep smiling!!! nothing annoys them more :)
 
Thanks to all for your support and kind words. It means much to my wounded body and spirit

I am better today. Have no appts, thank goodness, just rest.

The dr who made such a ridiculous statement to me was not my knee dr he was my neck dr. But he knew about my TKR !!! Nuts!

7 weeks today!!! Progress certainly but so much more to go. Patience, not one of my best virtues. When the lesson is needed the teacher appears.

Bless you all

Maggie May


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
Hello Maggie May,
My Knee replacement was caused by a car accident my senior year of High School ( 1977 ) :shocked: I was fine for
20 some odd years....then Osteotomy for 11 years....Knee replacement June 3, 2013. I am gladI had my replacement.
I walked like Frankenstein, near the end I could not walk. Now, I walk perfectly straight & the correct way.
I am glad you got more pain meds & something to help you :sleep:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
I had my neck surgeon (who did major surg on me 7/1), with full knowledge that I had TKR 6 weeks ago, tell me this yesterday:
I want you to get on your bike and ride it 20 minutes every day until you are sweating and your heart is pounding and you are having trouble breathing. Or go to a pool and walk across it as fast as you can for 20 minutes.
What a nincompoop!
How many of you out there are having surgeries due at least in part to an accident?
Actually, the entire root cause of arthritis is trauma, be it from serious accidents or just bouncing around on the knee for years for one reason or another. That's why they call it "wear and tear"!
 
The start of my right knee problems was an accident: falling over my dog. I hyperextended my knee and actually felt something crack in the joint. X-Rays etc showed it wasn't a ligament. I think I damaged some of the cartilage and things just got worse for nearly 10 years before I had the PKR.
My left knee, on the other hand, is deteriorating much more slowly - due to wear and tear and advancing age.
 
Just a good note:

I rode my recumbent bike for a mile today!
And I was finally able to take a nap for the first time since the first week after surgery (6 wks)!!

Yay!!

Maggie May


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom