Guest viewing is limited

TKR On the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RMasano So sorry you're going through a tough period. I would definitely make sure to see the OS as a precaution. My ROM had been slow in coming but at 5 weeks it's starting to make a turn for the better. A week ago I was starting to despair but I now realize it takes time. As everyone says, it will happen when your knee is ready. Be gentle on yourself. It's ok to cry. I cried almost every day for the 1st 4 weeks and still have my bouts. Hang in there. Sending best wishes for a healthy recovery.
 
Thanks everyone for your support. I always feel better with your encouragement. I'll keep you posted.
 
My dr put me on Gabapentin (300 mg 2 x per day) - I don't have restless leg; however, I have read where it helps with that. It deals with nerves. Hope you can get some restful, healing sleep.
 
@RMasano i wouldn't worry about MUA right now, it's to soon. I had bright blood drainage in the hospital, it looked like a lot but really wasn't after they cleaned it. I have staples though, not glue and they're to be taken out this week. But, I think you're right in putting off regular pt while it's draining. Also, don't worry about your ROM yet, it will get better when you can do pt. My ROM is only 50, so you're doing better than I am and we had our surgeries on the same day. Just call your OS tomorrow and get it worked out. Let us know how tomorrow goes.
 
In Josephine's chart, she is taking the Tylenol at the same time as the Tramadol right?
Yes, the Tylenol and Tramadol work well together.

The norco were making me so sick, but tonight I had to take one. The tramadol is just not cutting it tonight. I appreciate any advice from any bonesmarter!!
There are many options for pain. Ask your doctor to try something else if the Norco just isn't working well for you. Hydrocodone is an option that many use, but there are lots more available.

I have restless leg before surgery, now it's even worse.
Restless legs can occur after a TKR. It can be helped by being sure you're taking your pain medication on a set schedule. Gabapenten also helps some people. Here is an article from the BoneSmart Library about it:

Restless legs following knee surgery
 
Oh @RMasano I am a crier - don't worry often it's a good stress release. Try not to be too hard on yourself and expectations. This is such a long journey we are on.
 
I had some bleeding with my first knee. It lasted a couple of weeks. It was when I stopped the lovenox shots and started taking only aspirin as a blood thinner that the bleeding stopped. As far as your ROM goes, it is still very early. You will be surprised how much it will improve as the swelling goes down.
 
Sorry you're feeling so bad. Re ROM and potential MUA. My flexion stuck at 50 (at 11 weeks) I was dreading a MUA but guess what? I had one and it was fine! I'm so pleased with the difference its made. So a) you probably won't need one and b) even if you do you'll be glad you did!
 
@Spex10 I've read that the pain after a MUA is even worse than after TKR surgery. Is that true? If so, how long does it last? Did it set back your recovery? Thx.
 
Absolutely not!! I read all sorts of horror stories but I was just fine. I'm revelling in my new bendy knee. I take the odd paracetamol but that's all.
 
@RMasano Celle once told me tears were healing that is truth. You WILL get through this. Let us know what your OS says. Hang in there, it will get better.
 
Thank you all so much. My PT came today and called OS office and they decided I should come in. I'm going Wednesday morning. I'll keep you posted. I'm hoping there is nothing wrong.
 
Ok, keep us posted. Try not to worry. Hopefully your OS will get you on the road to healing Wednesday.
 
RMasano Celle once told me tears were healing that is truth

There have been lots of studies into the composition of tears and it was discovered that different kinds of tears (for different emotions) had different chemical compositions. Of course l can't for the life of me remember any more than that but l do recall being interested in the fact that sad tears helped things feel a little better because of whaler chemical they released. Or something like that!

I hope when you see your OS on Wednesday that he'll be able to reassure you that all is well and that this phase is par for the course of the tricky TKR road to recovery. :console2:
 
Just thinking of you, and hoping all goes well with the OS. FWIW, I did not have bleeding coming out of my wound, but I did still have some subdermal bleeding at 2.5 weeks-3 weeks. Thinks of all that stress we are putting on those internal sutures and structures while we try to do PT like mad those first weeks. And yes, with blood and swelling, ROM is going to be difficult to attain. Heck, I'd hit my marks last week (week 4) and then backsliding with my extension and flexion this week (today is week 5) - I don't even have additional swelling or bleeding to blame. Thing is, they are not set in stone. I met a woman here in my town who had a TKR and also had to go through MUA - she said the same thing as @Spex10 - she had no complaints at all.

Also, for the Norco - I've taken Zofran and it didn't do much for me. My mom took phenergan b/c she couldn't keep food down when she took her pain meds - it worked OK for her. I've had great success with scopolomine patches (the kind you get from your physician for cruises) - I put one on the night before surgery and keep it on for the next two days, as all the anesthesia and drugs always makes my stomach very unhappy :sick: Maybe one of those would be an option your OS could consider?

Saying some prayers for you - may you hear nothing but good news and reassurance! :flwrysmile:
 
Just got back from OS. Bleeding has stopped. X-rays looked good. It feels good not to have to worry anymore. Very swollen and stiff from sitting in the car so long.

As far as pain meds, I'm doing only tylenol and maybe a norco once in a while at night.
 
I'm very glad your visit went well and your surgeon was able to reassure you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom