Guest viewing is limited

TKR On the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Mireille That exactly what it is a knot!!! Not much sleep last night. When I have these pains its so hard to do exercises. It is like chasing your tail, if you don't do them, you will have scar tissue, you will not get ROM blah blah blah, if you do them you are in pain and collecting more pain!!! I am not doing a lot of exercises and I refuse to do anything that will make things more painful!!!
 
@RMasano I found out the hard way that more pain or exercises does not equal improvement. I got beat up at PT on Monday doing quad strengthening exercises and took a down hill turn. I canceled PT the rest of this week and I think I'm not ever going back. I will continue to do gentle exercises at home and ADL's. I'm a natural "play by the rules" so I it's been hard for me to adhere to all the BS mantras. However, if l their way isn't doing much for me, have to make a change and see how that goes. Can't keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result. :no-fin:

The knot, I felt, was inhibiting my movement and I could feel the improvement on my bend when I massaged it. Lightly not too much pressure. It will get better and it's normal. Hang in there! :console2:
 
@RMasano, yes, all these little pains from out of nowhere! And not knowing what to do or what not to do. That, with multiple people telling you *exactly* what to do and others not telling you anything... It's enough to make us think we have some modicum of control :rotfl:

Glad it's just a muscle knot - if I weren't so sore around my knee still, massage would sound great!
 
I got beat up at PT on Monday doing quad strengthening exercises and took a down hill turn. I canceled PT the rest of this week and I think I'm not ever going back. I will continue to do gentle exercises at home and ADL's. I'm a natural "play by the rules" so I it's been hard for me to adhere to all the BS mantras. However, if l their way isn't doing much for me, have to make a change and see how that goes.
It's much too early to be doing any strengthening exercises. We usually advise to wait until at least 12 weeks.
No wonder you hurt!

Well done for taking a break from PT. You did the right thing, in considering what is best for your knee.
 
@Celle Thanks so much for the encouragement. I didn't think about it much because it didn't hurt during the session but boy, I'm paying for it now. Tight band feeling is back and to top it off my other knee took a beating too so it's been harder to get around. Let's see what my OS says tomorrow, it will be my 1st real appointment since surgery. A little nervous!
 
I'm sorry your having dark days. This is the longest journey! I totally get the running out of things to do. My latest is listening in to the conversations at the pool. Quite amusing....

I agree with lots of gentle massage on those muscle spasm places. Not to be a downer but I still get knots in my hapstring and around the IT band. It will end one day right?
 
@Red's Mom There aren't that many revisions, so it has to, right? Either that or there is some post-TKR cult we all join after one year.... Where we give a big Cheshire grin to anyone who asks, and say "oh, I'm SOOOOOOOOO happy I had it done!".....and then have ourselves an evil laugh once we turn around. Muuuuaaaahhhhaaaaahhhaaaaaa:good-bad:
 
I noticed all those muscles really kicking in once I was using the cane so much. I'm still praying they don't start cramping some night on me.

I'm going to find the message article as well. Hope you get some rest tonight

PS: loving Netflix (Nurse Jackie - last season)
 
I love you guys!!! If I didn't find this site, I swear, I think I would be in a mental institution!!!!! If anyone is familiar with Maxine from Hallmark, that is who I look and feel like right now!!! I keep telling myself, it could be worse, and this too shall pass!!! I watched 2 movies today. Normally I have no patience for movies!!! Burnt and Bridget Jones Diary!!! And food network channel!!!
 
Going back to rmasano's shaving question - @Red's Mom do you think your OS said 6 weeks because you were on the aspirin/blood thinner?
 
Me too @jaschembra I shaved non surgical leg a little, but both legs are out of control now!!! No one sees my legs but I am normally a shaver. It just bothers me. Also, I am not at all concerned with numbers, but my extension is pretty bad. Just looking for any advice anyone has. My ROM is coming along. With a negative 25, I am pretty concerned.
 
When I have these pains its so hard to do exercises. It is like chasing your tail, if you don't do them, you will have scar tissue, you will not get ROM blah blah blah, if you do them you are in pain and collecting more pain!!! I am not doing a lot of exercises and I refuse to do anything that will make things more painful!!!

You do know that it's a load of rubbish about having to do exercises to keep the dreaded scar tissue at bay, don't you? You're more likely to induce scar tissue by over-exercising and irritating your soft tissues than you are by not doing exercises. Scar tissue (by which they mean adhesions) isn't just sitting there waiting to pounce if you're not industrious enough with the exercises.
I don't know where the PTs got that idea from, but it's a fallacy, a myth that should have died long ago.

There's no need to rush to get ROM either, no time limit within which you have to get it, or else. Rom can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after a TKR.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 
I think the whole shaving issue is about possible sites for infection. My OS is hypervigilant about infection issues. No shaving, no soaking, no dentist, no piercing, no tattooing, no picking. Sure wish he would add no knives, no graters, no food processors, no kitchen gadgets I could have gotten out of meal prep!

Ladies and gents, I've come to love you all too. It seems we have a bit of wickedness. I love the idea of saying "oh two new knees, no biggie, you'll be back on your surf boards in a few weeks" hahahah. Lock me up!:surfer:
 
@RMasano dont worry about extension or flexion they will both come as your soft tissues calm. Gently roll and rub the knots. We could make a new dictionary.
Log leg days!
Knots of TKRs!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am making small strides everyday. Start outpatient on Monday. The swelling has gone, but the outside of the knee is very swollen and tight. Almost like half of a tennis ball. Anyone have any experience with this?
 
Also, I've been living in these capri pajama pants for over 3 weeks. Anyone else have fantasies about burning their recovery attire? LOL Just a little humor!!!!
 
While you may not be able to see the swelling, there is still internal swelling going on. But that means your swelling is diminishing which is a good thing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom