TKR On the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I take the dosage of pain meds to keep on top of the pain, I get dizzy and nauseaous, if I don't take enough of the pain meds, my pain level goes up. Just chalking it up to the journey I'm on and hoping the future brings better days!!!
Call and request that your surgeon or GP prescribes medication to combat the nausea. It works and then you can take your pain medication properly.
 
I have glue too. It looks a lot thicker than yours does. :) It definitely doesn't look like it's going to be leaving me anytime soon!! Hoping your nausea is getting better.
 
@RMasano that sounds like a good plan by your OS. I couldn't eat at all in the hospital and had a lot of dizziness. It's gotten better since I've been home. I'm taking anti nauseous meds and control what I eat better. Are you on anti nauseous meds? It really helps me, but I also quit taking norco which I think was what was making me nauseous. But, I'm still dizzy when I get up, but it's getting better too. I'm taking OxyContin 10mg every 4hrs, anti nauseous meds, multivitamin and my anti seizure meds. I seem to do pretty well pain wise now, with it being 1-2 lying down 3-4 walking and 4-5 during pt which started on Saturday. Pt was good, not too strenuous or painful, but stiff afterward and the next day, so icing and elevating a lot. I know it's said that rom will come, buts it's only about 35 right now. So, I'm pushing some but not to the point of a lot of pain to help increase it.
@mbrown the belt sounds like a good idea, especially when my husband goes back to work and I have to do it myself. Pt has shown me how to do leg lifts, but I'm trying to increase quad strength first, I think it might be easier. I know I will increasingly get stonger day by day.
 
@Mister This morning I've had nauseous and dizziness. I think it may be the norco. I'm going to play around with my pain meds. What anit-seizure med are you taking? Sounds like you are doing well!!!
 
@RMasano I would try getting off the norco and see if that helps. I'm on the generic versions of Lamictal and Keppra. Hope you're feeling better today
 
It sounds as if Narco is not the right drug for you, so do as the others have suggested, and ask for a change of medication. You do still need pain meds, so don't try to manage without them.
 
Do you think that if you returned the Norco to your surgeon's office, then maybe he would 'exchange it' for a step-down dose of oxycodone or something? That way you are not asking for 'more', but exchanging in place of. They could even document it your chart if they are worried about the appearance of giving you too many pain meds. Might not work, but just a thought...
 
@L.I.T I already thought of that. I'm ready to throw everything in the garbage!!! LOL
 
@RMasano I cannot take Norco for several days. I get a bad headache and I'm nauseous. I told my dr this and he still sent me home with Norco and Percocet- Percocet for the severe pain and Norco for the moderate. After making it clear in the hospital before leaving, he prescribed the Percocet and Tramadol. I'm not sure he had prescribed Tramadol in the past and I only knew about it by reading here and that was my mom's cocktail after her TKR this past summer. I will be off the Percocet by the end of the week and will have Tramadol and Tylenol. It seems to be working for me. You are 6 days behind me - you are right in the middle of the dark days. In another week (maybe even days) you will feel much better. Also, my dr had no problem filling the Tramadol even though I had the Norco. He knew I wasn't taking the Norco and Tramadol is not an opioid. He just refill my Tramadol today for a 2nd refill as I won't make it through the weekend.

Turning the corner is approaching, just hang in there but try and get a substitute for the Norco if that is the medicine you've narrowed down to
 
@jaschembra I hope the days will get better. Had a bad day today. I stopped with the norco and took tramadol today instead. If I only take the tramadol, that means I need to take tylenol also, correct? You are doing great!!
 
I would contact the dr. office and ask for something different. I didn't feel good in the hospital with the pain meds they were giving me, they switched the rx. before I ever left the hospital. Those heavy duty pain meds still effected my appetite and stuff, but at least it helped with the nausea.
 
@Jamie is the medicine pro I believe so I've tagged her. You can take Tylenol alternating with Tramadol just not to exceed 4,000 mg of Tylenol in a day - that's what the bottle says. I know Josephine did Tylenol/Tramadol and there is a chart in the library of her dosing via 4 hour or 6 hour. Just be sure you aren't in the pain stage that you need anything stronger, but I'm not one to advise on that. :)

Thanks, I don't feel all that great at times, but a good day will for sure follow a bad day.
 
The chart which I can't seem to post or duplicate is on jaschembra'a thread, post #129.
 
Here is the chart:
[Bonesmart.org] On the other side


Was there some reason you didn't request medications from your surgeon or GP to combat the nausea you were feeling with the Norco as I suggested in post #101? That can work very well in most cases. Or you could have one of them prescribe a different pain medication such as hydrocodone. I am concerned that you are way too early in recovery to be successful with Tramadol and Tylenol. You can give it a try, of course, but if it doesn't do the job, please call your doctor and get something that will work. You really need to properly manage your pain.
 
@Jamie Yes, I did have my OS give me something for nausea. Zofron. It did not work at all. I plan on calling my OS today to figure my meds out. These pain meds were making me violently ill. The dizziness nausea feeling causes a whole day of laying on couch not moving my head so it doesn't get worse.
 
@Jamie In Josephine's chart, she is taking the Tylenol at the same time as the Tramadol right? I don't think I realized that until just now. I've been adding in Tylenol with the Percocet as the Percocet has been cut down (1/4 pill 4 x day today and gone after tomorrow), and alternating the Tramadol 3 hours later. But now that I see the above, I may change, plus it will help down the road when the Tramadol gets tapered.

@RMasano You will get this med thing figured out. It's an awful feeling to not be able to move your head without dizziness or nausea happening.
 
@jaschembra I did just tramadol and tylenol yesterday. I feel like a new person today. Hoping it keeps up. I am also going to talk to OS and let them know what is working.
 
@RMasano it sounds like your having a bit of a difficult time! I'm cheering for you to move past the dark days soon. In the end I think you'll like the cosmetic appearance of the glue vs the staples. I hope the drainage is resolving. Did you ask your OS or GP for anti nausea medications? Are you getting some protein in every day?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom