TKR On the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for ted stocking, don't think all dr's recommend or use them, but mine had the same Rx as yours. On during the day and could be removed at night. They were always a pain for my husband to put on for me, weeks out as my leg began to wake up more and I could feel things better they bothered me more to be put on. But I did wear them for the time the dr. requested.
 
@jaschembra I ditched mine last night. Haven't put them back on and the swelling is better. Also, even though, I was told not use the incline pillow I have, I used it, and the swelling is so much better. Also, I have eaten nothing but crackers since I've been home (can't stomach eating because of nausea) I gained 3 pounds. I'm not dwelling on it, but I find it strange. Is it the weight of the swelling?
 
I also ditched my Ted hose after 2 days. My leg was swollen up like a balloon and the hose left an imprint on my leg. It was horrible. OS said ok since I was up and moving. I probably also exaggerated on the ankle pumps.

My appetite was pretty non existent for about 2 weeks. I drank a lot of water, ate crackers before I took my pills. I gradually stated drinking protein shakes and now at 4 weeks, appetite is better, not yet 100% . I haven't weighed myself.

I hope you feel better soon!
 
I am on so many pills, that I think I isolated the main cause of my nausea. I think it's the lyrica, which I don't think I need. It is just another pain med, which most OS don't even prescribe. I'm going to email OS and ask. Anyone else have any experience with Lyrica?
 
I thought lyrica was for nerve pain. My doc uses it in the hospital, but doesn't send home scripts for it.

He also doesn't use the ted stockings and neither do most of the docs at the hospital I used.
 
I ditched mine in the hospital. I told them the size I needed based on my previous knee replacement where they were so tight, they had to be cut off. Of course, nobody in preop cared and they put the same size back on. (I had a lot of frustration w the nursing staff for both knees. Had to deal with a lot of numbnuts and I wasn't going to compromise my progress.) So I ditched them. Nobody noticed or cared. As a nurse, if my patients had a deep red indentation in their skin around the top, I removed them and notified the doctor.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@RMasano I took Lyrica about 18 months ago when I was having the mysterious back/leg pains. It didn't help my pain so I quit taking it. I don't think I had any side effects, but of course that doesn't mean that you wouldn't.
 
I've been learning what works as the days go on. I've ditched hose and lyrica. The changes has made for much better day!!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] On the other side
 
I've been learning what works as the days go on. I've ditched hose and lyrica. The changes has made for much better day!!!

I'm glad your having a better day! That is how this journey goes, you find what works for you! The weight gain is probably extra fluid and poop. Don't worry about weight now! Can you sneak some protein in today?


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@RMasano My OS has me on Gabapentin. I'm assuming for pain, but from reading on here and because my dog takes it, I know it treats nerve pain.

And yes, I would think the weight gain is all the fluid and bowel. I haven't tried the scale yet. But didn't lose my appetite. I drink a chocolate Premier Protein with coffee once a day 30 g of protein. It's yummy
 
Gabapenten wouldn't do much for surgical pain or swelling. It is designed to help with nerve pain, which is something some people experience after a TKR.
 
All this time I thought you all were talking about a drainage hose, not compression stocking. Hahaha.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@RMasano were you given an immobilizer brace? It seems to have helped me getting in and out of bed.
 
@Mister I was not given an immobilizer. I haven't gotten to my bed yet. Still on reclining sofa on first floor. I hate sleeping on my back and this is probably the best place for me right now.

Is there any concern for a little bit of blood a week out. I had a little this afternoon.
 
A little bit of blood is probably OK, as long as it stops.
 
@RMasano i don't like sleeping on my back either, but sleeping in recliner helps. Pt came today and they did not like I was using the immobilizer so going to only use when I have to.
The day after surgery, I had blood leaking and the OS cleaned it up with the bandages and said it was normal. I do not know if I am still having blood leaking because it is covered and was closed up with staples. So I'm sure what you have is normal.
 
@Mister I still have a little bleeding. The OS is holding PT until it is completely done draining. He thinks at this point making sure the incision is clear is the main priority. I don't have staples. I have glue. I think the staples would be better to keep the incision closed. How are you doing? Are you having any nausea? If I take the dosage of pain meds to keep on top of the pain, I get dizzy and nauseaous, if I don't take enough of the pain meds, my pain level goes up. Just chalking it up to the journey I'm on and hoping the future brings better days!!!
 
@Mister you can also use a belt or some other kind of strap to help you keep your leg straight and mobilized when trying to get in/out of a bed, etc. also, as you do your leg lifts (if prescribed by your PT) then this will help with that also.

Good luck!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom