TKR On the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RMasano hang in there. Your in the dark days. Don't expect much of yourself. Focus on ice, elevate, rest and pain control. I promise it will get better and you'll be able to walk in due time. It won't be tomorrow like the OS's lead you to believe but it will happen. Don't get discouraged, demand and take whatever amount of medication you need to get through this.
 
Getting frustrated. Am so happy the valgus is fixed but having a hell of a time trying to walk on it
It's only one day since you had major surgery. Of course it will be difficult to walk right now. Your knee is still in shock from all that was done to it. Everything will get a little easier as you progress.

Complete recovery from a knee replacement takes a full year, so don't expect miracles on Day One.
You are going to need a huge store of patience, so put in an order for it now.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Celle is right, you're just a few days into recovery. Use your walker and take short walks, but the majority of your day right now is elevating, icing, resting. It'll come, this is just the beginning.
 
@RMasano I was taking 2 oxycodone 7.5 every 4 hours for first several days. 1 would have not been enough to keep my pain manageable.
 
Agree that one of almost anything isn't enough for the pain you feel immediately after the surgery numbness wears off!
Welcome to the recovery side!
 
Hi everyone. I think im getting discharged today. Im very stiff and swollen. I was told there was a lot of manipulation because of how crooked my leg was. Also has anyone felt like your leg is like a log. Thats how i feel. I have an android and cant figure out how to post pics. Im going to have one ofy kids help me. I am glad the surgery is over and now a lot of patience. @Red's Mom hows your trip going
 
Hi everyone. I think im getting discharged today. Im very stiff and swollen. I was told there was a lot of manipulation because of how crooked my leg was. Also has anyone felt like your leg is like a log. Thats how i feel. I have an android and cant figure out how to post pics. Im going to have one ofy kids help me. I am glad the surgery is over and now a lot of patience. @Red's Mom hows your trip going

RMASANO

DEFINITELY. Can relate to the Leg like a Log" feeling back the first 2-3 weeks, gets better as time goes by.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Yep, a log like feeling is very normal. You'll have a lot of different aches, pains and weird feelings in the first few weeks. Make sure you have a dose of pain medication before your trip home.
 
Don't forget to read all the articles that Josephine left for you in Post #5, will you?

Every time you think you should be further along than you are, read and re-read this article:
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
 
My leg felt like a log. I was picking it up the first few days but then I couldn't and had to use a strap to lift it on/off the bed or to raise it for pillow/ice placement. About day 7 I could once again begin using my own muscle strength to move the leg around.
 
"Log Leg". Is such a good description. Let that log leg lay elevated and in ice. Slowly it will come alive again. Knee #1 woke up about 7-8 days. Knee #2 didn't start to wake up until 14-16 days! Just rest, leave it alone, get it up toes above nose and lots of ice.

All is well here. I was hoping that the island life would rejuvenate me but not so. Still the slow and at times uncomfortable recovery. There is more normalacy though with a regular bed, regular toilet and I'm doing a bit of cooking in the smaller kitchen. Day by day SLOWLY we will all recover... Don't over do it at home! How is your pain now? Be sure to take max pain meds for the trip home.
 
I came home this afternoon. I'm doing ok. There were some hours at the hospital where the pain was brutal. Right now resting. I am on some heavy duty pain meds. That log leg coming down off the bed is awful!!!!
 
I came home this afternoon. I'm doing ok. There were some hours at the hospital where the pain was brutal. Right now resting. I am on some heavy duty pain meds. That log leg coming down off the bed is awful!!!!

Are you using s belt or some kind of a strap? That's what I did the first few days.
 
It will help if you use a leg lifter of some sort to move it vs trying to use your quads to move it. A dog leash works well. Use your arms to move it on and off the bed. I'm glad your home. Now you can take charge of your recovery. IT WILL GET BETTER, hang in there!
 
I used a cane to lift leg up and down.. the hook end under the foot. That made everything stable. It will be alot better in a few days.
 
When I suggested strap during therapy she said it was the lazy way to do it. LOL. I have the dog leash out already!!!! I'm so much better here at home. Yesterday was brutal with pain and I think it was because they were in charge of me. I've learned through here if it hurts that bad don't do it.
 
@Red's Mom Just try and relax and enjoy the sunshine. That might be a little therapy in itself.
 
Also, I'm really nauseous from all the meds. Any recommendation on how to help it.
 
Ask your doctor for anti-nausea medication. Best wishes for your quick recovery.
 
When I suggested strap during therapy she said it was the lazy way to do it. LOL. I have the dog leash out already!!!! I'm so much better here at home. Yesterday was brutal with pain and I think it was because they were in charge of me. I've learned through here if it hurts that bad don't do it.

It would be lazy if you used it for weeks. It's not lazy to use it for a short period of time until your quad heals
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom