Guest viewing is limited

TKR On the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was the first day since my surgery I went out for some retail therapy at a homegoods store. Did ok. Stiff, but boy did it help mentally!!!! As I was pushing my cart, it floored me how straight my leg is now!!! It felt like every tear and every pain was now well worth it!!! I have a long journey still ahead, but I can for the first time say, I am glad I did this. Today reminded me of the painful life I was living before TKR. I am finally beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel!!! Now some more work before I see that light blaring!!!

Great to hear your recovery is going along smoothly. Feel same way as you about leg being straight. Glad I did it. Now 3 months out, my leg doesn't feel too much longer than the old knee. As swelling continues to go down, I'm sure won't notice it. There are moments already I forget about it.
 
@Mireille Oh Wow!!! Wicker park has gotten crazy expensive. I don't blame you. No snow, but hardly any sun in the last month.
 
@ferddword I am so glad to hear you are doing well. Actually, this has been a very difficult road but it is nothing short of a miracle that my leg is straight. I am glad to hear from you and that I will eventually not notice the difference between my 2 legs.
 
Yes. Mother/Daughter trips with my 21 year old daughters are a must! We just have to make the trips shorter until I'm moving better. They visit me every day after work, so I still get my fix...:) Our son always checks in on me too, while my husband is still doing most of the house work, cooking and laundry while working 50 hours a week. We have an empty nest though, so we don't really have a lot of messes or laundry. I'm hoping that these next few weeks are productive and I gain more ROM so I can move about better. We will see... We have a trip to Maine scheduled for the end of April, so I really hope I'm walking without a limp or stiffness by then. I don't expect to be fully recovered, but at least be able to walk normally. Can't wait for this nasty weather to end so I can walk outside....
 
Yeah! You have seen the light!!! Doesn't if feel glorious to do something normal? You may pay a bit of a price tonight or tomorrow but the mental health boost is totally worth it! I'm very happy for you!!:spin:
 
Feeling a little down today!! I don't care what I am missing during my recovery, but when it comes to my kids I get down. My youngest, who is a senior, is getting an award tonight, and my husband went by himself. Also, the beginning of March, my youngest is going to orientation for college, which I will also be missing. He is going to Arizona State, and traveling from Chicago, I know this will be too soon. Just venting a little!!! I will worry about my recovery now, so when I move him in in August, I will be o.k. Just needed to vent!!!
 
He'll need you more for college move in date. Dad and son can do the orientation. My girls always had me make their beds on every move in day I went to. That's 12 if you're counting!
 
@RMasano Sorry you're having one of those days! At least you're concentrating on getting better so you'll be ready for that big move! Maybe your husband can Skype you in so you can see your son receive the award. Just a thought. Feel better!
 
@newlybionic I lost count on how many move ins I have done. In August, my 29 year old bought her first place! That was a hard move in cause I knew it was permanent. A very proud Mama, but I knew this was permanent. My husband and son just got home. He got an award for excellence in the Business Department. He is going to Arizona State for their business program. He wants to be a business lawyer. RICE so I can be there for move in day!!!
 
Congratulations to your son.

It is hard to see our children leave home but if they can make successful, independent lives for themselves it is a tribute to the fact that you have done a good job of parenting - making them mature and responsible adults.

My second son was overseas for 12 years, first in the UK and then in India. He is back in NZ now, but living in a different town.
My daughter has married and settled in the UK.

I am so thankful for the modern-day miracles (like Skype) that make communication possible.
 
Just thinking of you and sending hugs your way. Just think of all the events that your knee will let you be part of in the future - a small sacrifice for a LOT of gain. I like @Mireille 's idea about skyping you in!
 
Sending hugs for a better day today! My #1 goal for feeling better and being able to enjoy - is my step-daughters wedding May 5! It will still be a long day from start to finish but I can't wait!! Her bridal shower is Mar 12 - I'm combining with her mom so I don't have much to do for that - I've offered to do any prep for shower or wedding if it can be done sitting with my leg elevated lol.

Here's to a pain free or less pain day, less swelling day, and more movement day! And maybe a little nap too.

Do you have to return to work soon?
 
Hopefully your husband recorded the moment for you. I missed a family wedding shower and wedding during my recovery. I was sad about it, but not much I could do. My wonderful dad stayed home with me, picked up Subway and we watched a hockey game together. Although I missed the wedding, I'll never forget that afternoon with my dad.
 
How u doin' over there, @RMasano?

Co grass to your son on his award! And congrats to the parents who obviously raised a fine young man!
 
Urgh!!!! I'm ok. My second day of PT was Wednesday and had two days of stiffness!!! I know this is one of the most common issues we talk about on bonesmart, but if I do therapy, it might be making my progress worse, and if I don't, there is the "you will never get ROM blah blah blah"! I have another session at 3 and am just struggling with what to do!!

@jaschembra Hopefully you will be great by May!!! We have apartment buildings and I do my end of the job from home, so I have no worries, as far as going out of the house for work.
 
If you're stiff cancel for today or the next time and see how it feels. Tons of people don't do therapy nor do non-aggressive therapy with great ROM. You're just a month post op. If you have a stationary bike at home you can just rock the pedals back and forth for a few minutes. It took me two weeks of rocking before I could get the whole way around, biking is a great way to gain ROM and loosen up the knee a bit.
 
Im in the same boat with you @RMasano Trying to still refine exactly the right mix of RICE and proactive PT etc etc. Does your stiffness feel right in the joint? Or like mine feel like the different thigh muscles and inner quad that seem so stiff, that they hold the knee back like giant rubber bands. I have started making progress with more "proper" walking and with regular PT sessions that do not push too aggressively. My wife is so tired of the word "flexion" and ROM, that she is threatening to smack me! :)
 
@highlander Mine is exactly the same as yours!!! Not really in the joint. It feels like I have a huge compression pull on brace!!! I am doing better and have my bad days and good days. I am so much better now than before surgery, as the valgum was horrible. At the begging of the week, I seemed to be turning a corner, but since therapy on Wednesday, things are stiffened up again. I don't think it was the exercise, but the manipulation of the kneecap that was done.
 
Manipulation of the kneecap is completely unnecessary. Your kneecap will mobilise itself as your knee continues to heal. Please tell your therapist not to do that again. She's probably been taught that it's necessary, but TKRs in NZ and the UK never have their kneecaps mobilised and they heal just as well as knees in the US.
In any case, if it is necessary to mobilise a kneecap, that should not be done as early as yours was done.

I think you should skip at least one PT session, until some of the stiffness goes away.

Remember that you are in charge of what happens to your knee. The PTs work for you and they have to please you, not the other way round.

Stiffness is a form of pain and, since it followed your PT session, that tells me the PT was too much for your knee. It probably increased the amount of swelling inside and around your knee joint.
 
Never had my kneecap manipulated. A few months after surgery my PTs would massage my whole leg, but it felt wonderful! Definitely no pain at all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom