Guest viewing is limited

TKR On the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RMasano outpatient hasn't called me yet to confirm when I will start, I'm happy you're starting Monday. You'll have to tell us how it goes.

Yes, we definitely need a bonfire!!
 
@Mireille I still have swelling, but to the right of the kneecap it is very swollen and tight. Like if I took half a tennis ball and stuck it under the skin. I tried to take a pic, but the photo is not showing what I am talking about.
 
Sounds like progress in the Windy City! Keep up the good work! I've got a lot to contribute to the bonfire!
 
I did a lot of self massaging areas that seemed to be tight-hurt my early weeks and one day when home pt was there the pt said I could even take a rolling pin - like using to roll out cookie dough or pie crust on my leg. I did it a few times and felt good. The tissues of my leg that hurt most were in the tourniquet area. No force, just rolling over areas - bUT never the incision.
 
Can't help you with the tennis ball lump but I know that I had an area right near my incision, on the inside of my knee, that was extremely sore and hurt to do leg lifts. It lasted about a week and then went away. I think it was just a sore, inflamed muscle.
 
@RMasano I get it. I've had that swelling on both sides at one time or another. Mine usually happens more on the left side. I massage gently to help but I think it's a matter of time. As always. :sad: Keep elevating, resting and icing. Things will get better! :flwrysmile:
 
@RMasano

YES, I have lad the same thing - on the outside of my knee mostly, but a little tight on the inside, too. Mine were the fat pads below the kneecap, though. Somehow, between Celebrex, rest, and PT ultrasound, I've gotten mine to go down just enough to feel like it's small marble instead of a tennis ball. I'm beginning to realize that once all the edemetous swelling on the outside goes down, we start to see and feel all the internal swelling more. It's also annoying because everyone looks at you and says "well, you don't LOOK swollen". Grrrrrrrr :gaah:

Not knowing for sure, but like everyone and their dog keeps telling me, it will probably go down with time. We should all have that tattooed on our knees until they are 100% better. Of course, then I might REALLY resent my knee :wink:

Oh, and about the pants - I bought 4 pair of loose sweat/workout type pants at Costco that I have been wearing now for 6.5 weeks. In fact, I wear them all day, and then to sleep, too! My husband asked me a few days ago "when are you going to start wearing pj's again?" I just laughed and explained that the fewer wardrobe changes I had, the happier my knee would be. :yes: I don't think he truly understands, but oh well! :loll:
 
First outpatient PT. Went well. Much more intense than home PT. It was just enough. I do feel like I made some progress. He did some manipulation. Nothing crazy. 15 minutes on nustep. Some stretches on bar and table. Then ice hooked up to electrodes (not sure what this is called). Came home stiff but not much pain. All in all, pretty good PT session!!!
 
Sounds like your doing well. Where are you doing your outpatient PT?
 
@RMasano I was just wondering how your pt went. I'm so glad it went well and you feel good about it. My first outpatient is Wednesday, so we'll see, crossing my fingers!
 
Im not real good with my cell phone but would like to.post pics. Anyone tell me simplest way? Im pretty swollen. Pain was uncontrollable this morning. Doing ok now. I think 1 Norco is not enough
I haven't posted pics, but I am 7 days post op and 1 norco would do zero for me. I'm taking Oxys every 4 hours without exceptions. I tried taking fewer and got myself in a lot of pain. With pain under control, I can walk, do my excercises and transfer to bed and recliner. Constipation a daily problem.,Doing all the usual things to keep me moving a little.
 
Today was the first day since my surgery I went out for some retail therapy at a homegoods store. Did ok. Stiff, but boy did it help mentally!!!! As I was pushing my cart, it floored me how straight my leg is now!!! It felt like every tear and every pain was now well worth it!!! I have a long journey still ahead, but I can for the first time say, I am glad I did this. Today reminded me of the painful life I was living before TKR. I am finally beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel!!! Now some more work before I see that light blaring!!!
 
I'm glad you enjoyed the retail therapy but, at only a month after surgery, you probably over did it a bit.
Check again with this article, to see what level of activity you should be expecting to do:
Activity progression for TKRs
 
@Celle I agree!!! I do not want to take steps backwards. It was a short trip with my daughter dropping me off and picking me up at door with cane.
 
Congrats on PT and the shopping trip! I hear you on not wanting to slide back - but ya gots ta take care a ya mental health, too! So glad things are looking bright for you!

Now confess, what goodies did you buy at the home goods store :wink: (just kidding! Like @Mireille, I love those stores!)

@RMasano ftw today! :yes!:
 
@RMasano I long to take a walk on the woods roads here on our farm- but I know that is still a few weeks off- but just the thought of it lifts me mentally. I walked in the driveway today just to be outside for a few minutes.
 
I did the same thing last week with one of my daughters. Went to some home décor stores for her house, and then out to lunch. I was happy to be out, but I was out too long and paid the price by the time I got home. Swollen and stiffer than ever. I couldn't hook my ice machine up fast enough.. I won't be doing that again until my swelling goes down more, and the stiffness has dissipated a bit more. I don't have any pain in the day or night. Just this annoying concrete feeling that keeps me from bending my knee.
 
@Mireille Nothing like a few new home things to make a girl happy!!!
@L.I.T Some new bathroom things, but my daughter made out better than me (Mom's treat)!!!!!
@highlander Mental health is so important for our TKR journey!!!! Chicago is so miserable at this time of year the way it is, so little field trips help out with the mind!!!
@2active It is great to be out!!! I guess we have to find a good balance. I have daughters and they miss the Mom who they do things with!!! We just have to take the time to heal right now.
 
@RMasano I just realized you're from Chicago. That's where we're originally from, Wicker Park area. Been in Florida going on 16 years but we go back often. Don't miss the Chicago winters, lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom