TKR On the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RMasano it sounds like your in the "I've got to find the right balance" phase! I promise it will get better and soon. I feel like the 8 week point is a big turn. Just like we say don't compare knees I think we should also say don't compare each other as far as when to do the next knee. You WILL know when it is time and when you are mentally ready to do this incredible journey again. I saw my OS Thursday and he was pleased with everything. I don't have to go back for a year unless I have issues. I also have a couple of sutures rising through the skin. He said to not pick at them and they will just fall off. He also said if they turned into pustules (pimples) he wanted me to make an appointment for his PAs to decide what to do. I have a bakers cyst behind the R knee. He wants me to ice and elevate for 2 hours per day. Would you like to meet for lunch one day?
 
@Lynnallison175 Sounds like you are doing so well. I am six weeks out tomorrow, so I guess I haven't reached that point yet. I think healing mentally sometimes is harder than healing physically. They say you will know when you are ready, and I knew with the first one. I guess when I am ready for the 2nd I will know.
You will be the first to know when it's time for number 2. I was so busy focusing on preparing for the first surgery, I didn't pay attention to the recovery until I was well into it. I was depressed, in pain and not sleeping. I said there is no way I would step back into another knee surgery voluntarily. The first recovery actually went well and I was back to work after 12 weeks.

Finally, the first operated knee was feeling better and the unoperated knee started to deteriorate quickly. She gave out on me and I dropped (fell) like a sack of potatoes on a busy sidewalk in downtown Detroit. Strangers had to help me up and my friend had to go get the car, cuz I couldn't walk. That fall helped confirm for me that it was time to get the second one done. I had 6 weeks to get ready for number two.

Looking back, I wouldn't change a thing. I knew what to expect this time around and the second recovery has been slower and very different. I'm still swollen and still need pain meds occasionally. This time I'll be off a total of 5.5 months. My flexion is 132 and my extension is 0. My surgeon is pleased and so am I. I love being able to function with no pain in either knee, the treadmill is my friend again and I'm slowly regaining my life.

I was tired of my knees running my life. It's time for me to be in charge again, I'm so looking forward to a pain free summer for the first time in years. Take your time and heal the first knee properly, then talk to the surgeon about the second procedure. Remember, your unoperated knee is only going to get worse. We've got your back! Lynn.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Gosh a scary time when your knee collapsed. At least that really told you it was time to get on with it. Sounds like you did and its going well! Good for you.
 
@Red's Mom Yes yes yes!!! I would love to do lunch!!! Can we meet half way as soon as I have clear to drive. You are also welcome to come to my house anytime!!!

Went to dinner for my husband's birthday tonight. It was great to get out, but I couldn't wait for the entrees to come. I was so ready to come home!!! I am just so tired!!! I wore jeans for the first time since before surgery. Not too bad. I had a hard time looking for shoes to wear. It was unseasonably warm here. I could have worn flip flops, but my feet look like I barefooted it though the Rocky Mountains. My boots were too uncomfortable. So finally wore ugglike short boots. I guess sporting my cane anything would go.

@Lynnallison175 A fall is what led me to my knee replacement. I was struggling for years, but fell in Mexico on vacation and that was it, I had no choice. The trip home was an interesting adventure!! I couldn't put any weight on it at all. I went to OS a week later, and the rest is history. Thank you for words of encouragement. I appreciate it. I see we are neighbors!!!
 
@RMasano Let me just say that it will get better. I am a little over 2 months now and these past three days have been such a turning point. I can't believe it. Almost waiting for a bad day to pop out of nowhere. Just last Thursday I was down in the dumps and boom, what a difference. I spent today on my feet for most of the day. Sat on the recliner for about an hour. Knee is slightly swollen but no pain. It's a miracle! :angel:I thought it was never going to get better but it does, it really does! Hang in there!
 
@Mireille Thanks for your words of encouragement. I sometimes feel that there will never again be a day I don't think about my knee at all. Another thing that was strange is I was glad to be out but it has been so long since i've been out (I was in bad shape with my knee since October) that is was kind of scary (I know seems weird!) That is not like me at all!!!
 
It's not weird at all. I felt the same way the 1st time I went out for dinner. What if it gets more presidio, what if it swells, what if I hurt my new knee...so many things. For me, at least for the last couple of weeks, I think I had a mental block. I decided I wouldn't know how my knee would react unless I did something different. Doing mild exercises, a couple of short walks a day wasn't cutting it anymore. Depression settling in which turned into too much of doing nothing. I let go of my fear and insecurity and went for it. I go back to the office in 3 weeks, needed to get ready. So far it's been good. I trust my knee. Don't know what my ROM is and don't care. Letting go of ROM worries is a big deal for me since it had been consuming my thoughts for the last 2 weeks. I think the mental aspect is a very big piece of this recovery. There's still a long way to go but that's ok. I can now deal with it. We'll make it through!
 
@RMasano your time will come. Remember Mireille is almost a month ahead of you. I wore soft sweats with everything for over 3 months! Even when I went back to teaching I just wore nice sweaters and cardigans with the sweats. When I went out I always kept my leg up on the booth beside me, it made going out easier and I really wanted a taste of normal.
 
@Lynnallison175. I agree. I'm to the point where I can see me doing the other knee. My operated knee is 3 months and still a bit tight but overall doing pretty good. The other knee is deteriorating pretty quick or maybe Im noticing it more now that the other knee is "fixed." I think I have a little bit of time that I will try injections 1st. Thanks for sharing!
 
@Mireille I heartily agree that the mental/psychological aspect of recovery from TKR is really significant and often totally overlooked. You've been worryingly down at times judging by your posts so its terrific to see that you've turned a corner. Hooray!
 
@RMasano, fear not, girl! They should call week 6 the VORTEX because for some reason, we all seem to get caught in that downward pull! And I know what you mean about being afraid to go out - I told my husband the other week that I was afraid to go to court.... Not because I was afraid of the outcome.... But that I was afraid b/c I wouldn't have all my trust safety gear anywhere near (ice machine, elevating pillow, star of anti-inflammatory especially, tylenol, etc!).... I felt like such a dolt! :doh:But we did it, and it was OK!

I keep remembering what @newlybionic said to me - "you are 7 weeks out of 52 weeks" (or something like that :yes:). OK, I had to concede to that - I wasn't far along at all!

We've got time, and it WILL get better! :roseshwr:
 
So excited. Went from an extension of 25 2 weeks ago to 10 today. ROM is 110. I don't care about the numbers, but the extension was worrying me because it was so bad.
 
Just got back from OS. Leg as straight as an arrow and everything looks good. Long day, but happy everything going good. I have to say my OS is a great surgeon. Not cocky or rude, just a very good surgeon with great manners. Never makes me feel anything but good.
 
That's great news from the OS and your journey to reach the office!! Congrats
 
I drove for the first time today!!!! It felt so good. It actually was so much easier to drive now than it was before I had my knee replaced!!! Felt freeing!!!
 
That's awesome! It makes a big difference for our state of mind, lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom