TKR On the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Celle Agreed!!!! Cancelled. Stiffness and swelling finally under control!!! I am going to do some stretching exercises and concentrate on the swelling!!!
@KarriB That sounds heavenly!!!
 
@RMasano Thats exactly what it feels like- like I have a thigh high super tight compression stocking on all the time. My calf actually is just fine. Ive had 4 previous surgeries on this knee- so the probability of "stiff knee" and arthrofibrosis grow with all that previous work. I have read in depth about it with Dr Frank Noyes' papers and others- they all advocate gentle manipulation of the kneecap as part of the program.

So Im always torn between a lot of the excellent support and advice that Bonesmarties give versus some conflicting info from my OS, my excellent PT, and the research Ive done. Not much else to do except research right now ;) I think its very individual and varies with each case and history. But I find for me personally- frequency of activity is working for me. For 80% of people- I guess the RICE and the mantra of your "ROM is right there from the start, just give it time" may very well work great.

But I think for me its best to be a little more proactive. Im not pushing through any major pain barriers, my PT is not demanding that nor advocating it- but we do ultrasounds, gentle manipulations of the knee cap, quads, capsule edges around the knee, and then do sensible PT- lots of zero resistance ROM steps on the Nustep, slides, proper walking technique, stretching the quads on a single step, zero weight sit down squats between parallel bars (so I control the weight) and a few more....its working for me. Gaining ROM without any additional swelling and can really do it everyday with no additional pain right now. I have more pain and stiffness the more I sit around with my knee elevated in one position. Everything starts to hurt- lower back, hip, thigh etc. Just my two cents worth. Sorry to be long winded here. But your recovery and knee sound a lot like mine.
 
It's working for you, highlander and I can tell that you are listening to your knee and taking notice of the messages it sends you. That's the most important thing - listen to the knee and do what feels best for it.
 
@RMasano, I continue to be astounded by the variability in PT frequency and diversity of routine. My PT felt and just barely moved my kneecap to make sure I didn't have an adhesion - but only the one time, and it wasn't a manipulation.

Because I was swelling at the drop of a hat, I spaced out my PT sessions on Monday and Thursday so that I would have time for my swelling to go back down between visits. Most of the time, my PT consisted of 10 minutes of NuStep machine, some plain Jane quad flexes, the TENS and ultrasound - with icing at the end. I never did seem to find that elusive balance, but I felt good about my PT as long as my swelling was down before the next session - otherwise, I would just get the ultrasound and tens before I left.

I think weeks 4-8 are a tough spot - so much that we are trying to control, not knowing what is 'right or wrong' to do in PT, feeling better, but still not great, and bored as heck, wanting to get on with our lives.

My guess is that as long as you listen to your knee, you will be fine! Hang in there.... (this coming from the Debbie downer from 3 days ago! The irony is not lost on me) One great thing about this group is that we all have ups and downs at different times. And good call on canceling and getting the swelling under control! Three cheers for ice and elevation! :dancy:
 
@RMasano That was happening to me when I was doing PT. I was so stiff and swollen and by by the time I was starting to recover, it was time to go back again. I had 7 PT sessions left and I cancelled them all. My OS said that was OK as long as I kept making progress. I don't know that I've made a lot of progress on my actual ROM but I have made progress in my walking. No cane and can walk without a limp. I'm moving better so I call that progress. Tight band got me for the last 3 days. Today not so bad. If I need PT at a later day, may go back. For now, I'm just going about my day and hope that my ROM shows up eventually. Good and bad days! Work in progress! Feel better!
 
@Mireille So agreed. Went to PT today. I am fine doing everything once I am there, but my leg gets so stiff afterwards!!! I said no to any kinds of manipulation today!!!! I applaude you for going with your gut and doing what worked for you. I just look forward to the day that I won't think about my knee!!!!
I don't regret the surgery at all because my leg was crooked, but I might have to find somewhere to buy some patience!!!!
 
Lol, Karrib told me that a member once said she needed an ATM where she could go get some patience. I'm right there with you.

I don't know what the right thing is but if that wasn't making me feel better, I had to try something else. I also felt ok while there but later that afternoon and the next day, I was a swollen, stiff mess. I was going Mon, Wed and Fri. Not enough time in between to recover. I figured that if I need therapy later I'll have sessions left since insurance only covers so many.

Hang in there, we're going to make it! (Easier to tell someone else,lol)
 
I know swelling lasts for months, but like I said before, mine is contained to one area on the lower outside of my knee. Anyone else have their swelling contained to one area. It is very hard.
 
It's still very early in your recovery and some swelling is normal. I'm glad it's confined to just one area.
Keep doing as you are, with plenty of icing and elevating still. That one area will gradually go down, but it could persist for quite a while.

I know that I had one area that was the last to lose its swelling and that's where the swelling returned every time I was a bit too active.
 
@Celle I am not overly concerned about because I know swelling is normal, but that one spot never really goes down. I know with my knock-knee there was maybe more manipulation in that one area. I need to just muster up some more patience!
 
I just wrote about our patience :)
I agree, I think he did more work on my inside, lower - That is where my pain comes from 1st when I get it. Probably the same with your swelling area. My swelling is a general all over area and it doesn't take anything at all to set it in place. I love it first thing in the morning - it looks so nice from being elevated all night.
 
Hi there. Since I also had the valgum issue, the inside stayed a bit more swollen longer. My knee is now 3 months old and still feel a bit of the tightness so internal healing is definitely still happening. The OS said because it was crooked and in such bad shape, it will probably take about 6 months until it all calms down. But I've been playing golf twice a week and just ice at night. Still no formal PT. Just working and living. But now I notice my left knee more. It is also valgum not as much but since this recovery has been pretty good Im thinking when I should do that one. Ugh. How's your other knee?
 
@ferddword My new knee is coming along. Have no regrets about surgery. It was so bad. My other one has valgum also, but not as bad. No pain right now. I know it is crooked, but no discomfort. Everyone says you know when you are ready, and I am not ready yet. My son commented that my new knee is so straight just do the other one now. I was like noooooo-I need a break. I know eventually it needs to be done, but for now, I just need to heal. My OS said I probably have about 3 years, but that some of his patients just want to get it over with. Well, I am not ready yet. I feel so much better than before but I need to regroup before I go any further.
 
Yep, i felt same way up until a week or so ago when I got back to somewhat regular activity. I thought no way I want to go thru this anytime soon. But progress, a straight leg, and more pain in my left is making me think I can do again to get it over with. Stay positive and all the best to a smooth and steady recovery for you.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I had a scab fall off last night and I see what looks like a thread. Does anyone know if it just falls off?
 
It could be a suture. Leave it alone and see what happens. If it starts to work its way towards the surface, go to your surgeon's office and have them deal with it. Don't try to pull it or snip it yourself.
 
@RMasano I had a couple of sutures popping out and they fell off on their own, another one got stuck and I had a pinhead of pus, I let the OS handle that one just in case.
 
@ferddword My new knee is coming along. Have no regrets about surgery. It was so bad. My other one has valgum also, but not as bad. No pain right now. I know it is crooked, but no discomfort. Everyone says you know when you are ready, and I am not ready yet. My son commented that my new knee is so straight just do the other one now. I was like noooooo-I need a break. I know eventually it needs to be done, but for now, I just need to heal. My OS said I probably have about 3 years, but that some of his patients just want to get it over with. Well, I am not ready yet. I feel so much better than before but I need to regroup before I go any further.
@RMasano and ferddword. I'm 4 months out from my second knee replacement surgery. After the first one, the OS said let's try to replace number 2 in about 24 months. I went back to him at 13 months and said "let's do the other one now." I was on the table 6 weeks later. Since the first knee was feeling better, the second one went out on me and that was enough. My words of wisdom are for you to both to heal from number 1 and then schedule number 2 as soon as you can take it.

I am so enjoying walked with two knees that are pain free. Now I can focus on other things, besides knee pain.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
@Lynnallison175 Sounds like you are doing so well. I am six weeks out tomorrow, so I guess I haven't reached that point yet. I think healing mentally sometimes is harder than healing physically. They say you will know when you are ready, and I knew with the first one. I guess when I am ready for the 2nd I will know.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom