THR On the other side in Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, John.

Do you start out lying on the side that hurts or the opposite one?

You pull the lower leg up to a 90 degree bend and then roll away from that leg?

What do you mean "rock back and forth onto the stop"??
 
Hi John, so glad you are getting some relief from this. I have done a similar stretch just from rolling around in major pain! I'm going to tag Alex. Maybe she can recommend something similar.
@alexthecat:
 
Happy Easter John,

The sugar info was good thanks for sharing! The rolling thing your doing sounds interesting if it's giving you relieve that's a good thing, I'm Alex will give some Ideas too that's her gift!

Have a lovely weekend with your wife and family!

xxooxx
 
Interesting, John.

Do you start out lying on the side that hurts or the opposite one?

You pull the lower leg up to a 90 degree bend and then roll away from that leg?

What do you mean "rock back and forth onto the stop"??
Start laying hurt side down.
Bend the hurt/lower leg so my knee is out in front of me.
Roll my body forward, the hurt lower leg is pressed up to my chest by the floor.
As the leg bends inwards, it hits a stop, that is the IT band stretching.
I press repeatedly against the stop, rolling back and forth maybe 5 degrees against the stop of my leg against the floor.

Imagine this person lying flat on the floor.
[Bonesmart.org] On the other side in Seattle.
 
See why I started posting photos of stretches and gave up trying to explain them? :biggrin:
 
Ok, it's good to know that that pose can be done by us hippies!!
One of my friends had suggested it to me and I was uncertain (I hadn't seen Alex mention it yet anywhere:snork: )-- of course my knee will no longer rotate in that fashion, now, but maybe it's something to work towards!!!

Good work, John!!

Take care,
Cardie
 
Cardie, you are allowed to do stretches that I haven't talked about, you know. :wink1:

In general, I think that, if you feel drawn to a particular stretch, there is probably a reason for that and it might be worth exploring. This stretch does require a bit of lumbar flexibility, so it might be a good idea to work up to that slowly. I can post stretches that lead up to this pose if there's an interest in that. Not sure if John wants that in his thread though...
 
I like my stretches tested by Alex first!! I am still in that zone where everytime I get on the floor to do my stuff at some point I wonder if this will be the time that I dislocate my hip... same with the gym -- it's my "Appliance Awareness" that might abate as time goes by. :rolleyespink:

Doesn't look like John needs to know how to advance to the pidgeon pose -- :thumb:he's already there.... I'd be happy to just do it with my body upright, like the picture he shared!

Maybe the J mods would let you compose a little yoga pictorial for the library -- if you had time & the interest @alexthecat: & @Jamie: Nothing extensive, just some poses that will help with some of the primary complaints that we seem to experience as THR folks -- piriformis issues, illiopsoas issues, glute issues and maybe a quad & hamstring friendly pose or two???

Just a thought....
Cardie
 
Okay... I'll post some preparation poses for pigeon in my own thread. I doubt I'll get around to it before the weekend and possibly not until Monday.
 
I have been finding everything that is weak or hurts and have been exercising it hard for the last week.

Feeling PRETTY DARN GOOD today. :biggrin:

Hope to mow the lawn (1/4 acre of hills) and go for a bike ride this afternoon/evening.
 
GASP! You can do THAT??? I am amazed and in awe...I am such a fairy, am afraid everything would pop loose. Was overjoyed to take care of my own toenails that were starting to look prehistoric. Wow!
 
GASP! You can do THAT??? I am amazed and in awe...I am such a fairy, am afraid everything would pop loose. Was overjoyed to take care of my own toenails that were starting to look prehistoric. Wow!

I don't make it NEARLY that far yet, I am just getting my pelvis about 100 degrees to the floor. She is at about 170 degrees .:wink1:

And yes it does feel exactly like I am disjointing everything, without reassurances from the PTist and Downer, I would think I was destroying things in there.:hate-shocked:

[Bonesmart.org] On the other side in Seattle.
 
Really? even though we're not cemented? If Downer is saying ok, i trust that, but wow. I guess I imagine the pelvis part of the appliance being a bit smooshy for awhile and I don't want to shove it out of the way.:skeptical: If you hear a loud pop, ease up a bit.:hysterical:
 
1, 6 and 8 would be the IT Band....

Here are links to a couple of threads:

IT Band Exercises

IT Band Information

Hi John,

I saw you mentioned that your IT band was acting up some. I hope it feels better soon -- were you able to do the foam roller stretch mentioned in the IT threads Jamie suggested?

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi John,

I saw you mentioned that your IT band was acting up some. I hope it feels better soon -- were you able to do the foam roller stretch mentioned in the IT threads Jamie suggested?

Take care,
Cardie
I have been doing the PT given by my PTist, She said I was making great progress.
There are no sore spots on it, massaging doesn't seem to help.
This was a problem long before my hip, it has had issues for at least 6 years.
I am taking aspirin to keep the inflammation down and spending about 30 - 45 minutes a night PTing.
Getting more flexibility and strength but not really helping the inflammation issues yet, she said it might take 4-6 months.

Her last instructions were to find any movement that hurts and do it until it doesn't hurt.:what::sigh: Finding lots of weird positions that hurt, none of them are the slightest bit fun however.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom