THR Okay so it's over! 12/17/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll bet it will feel good to get those staples out - I had steri-strips only and they were removed on day 10 - last Friday - so nice!!
 
Having a pedi today! An omg how good it is to have my toenails cut down! Leg massage etc. Real treat having my daughter with me too. Feeling good. Walking around joann fabrics and belks today as well. Got a nice walk in! Going to ice a lot tonight for sure but overall not bad. Sleeping in my side at night has helped. Using cane regularly now. Forgot it once while in laundry room and thought is used it!! Bewildered I went back in from kitchen and found it! Son then said hey mom don't forget this! So guess that's a good sign. Not as exhausted today while out and about. This is day 18 I think. Hope all are well.
 
Good for you - it feels good to get out! We had a little family tea party at a tea place - 3 teas and 4 courses of tea foods - it was so nice to leave the house! Came home and took a nap
 
Hurting in back today! All it took was one little shift the wrong way and! Oh well, pain meds here
I come. No Chiro catching up too.
 
Hi, @dkirk0530: I'm really excited to hear about your progress moving along nicely. Congratulations on that!
I also want to let you and @charmed-life know how valuable your stories are to us pre-op people. I'm really scared as hell but also very excited to have it behind me. Your stories of success shift the balance to more excited than scared and that's a big help.
Your detailed accounts of the troubles you have are also helpful to alleviate unnecessary fear of unknowns by giving instead realistic descriptions of the difficulties.
Thank you both! (and everyone on BoneSmart of course!)
 
@fulafoto and @DrToonz...so happy to have you follow us and happy to help. Prior to my surgery I searched and searched for sites showing progress of folks post op so I totally understand and am trying to keep my progress up to date, and realistic, so others can benefit as I did when I read stories of progress. It does give us hope! I am watching folks who are post from Sept, Oct and Nov. and I will plan on following you both through your progress too. @charmed-life I too appreciate your progress and reports. It's nice to have someone to relate to as we progress through this life changing event! Woo Hoo to all of us.. this is going to be an awesome year! On that note.. here's what I did today other than pull my back which I'm now icing along with my hip! haha..

Day 19... took my 17 year old out driving today, she plans to take her driving test w/in weeks. Lord help me! I also shopped at Kroger, walked the store, did not take the scooter although I was tempted!! I tried to remind myself that the pain I had BEFORE the surgery was much worse than this discomfort. I used to worry and limp through the KROGER.. now I'm just slow going but in no utter pain. And that is really amazing! I say discomfort but let me describe further. When I walk, the leg feels tight, not real pain, just tight! It might have a bit to do with my staples, still in to be pulled on the 8th. My leg tingles and to touch is a bit sore but much much better.. After surgery for about 10 days, I used to freak if someone even touched my leg.. or patted as my husband did one time! Haha!! Poor boy! I was in the car for a few hours, went to Kmart and hit a few other places before coming home. Getting in and out of car is a bit tricky. I can do so, just go slow, seat back and lift my leg into the car if it's at an odd angle. All in all, not too bad.

I'm home now, made dinner, sat down, took pain meds, one Lortab and I'm now icing. I did my minor PT exercises earlier today, will probably do other set tonight if back and hip are feeling okay.

Slept REALLY well last night. Fell asleep around 1030 and slept till almost 9! So that's much better now too. Feel like I'm getting the rest I need so I heal as well. Have decided that I'll postpone going physically back to work for a few more weeks. We'll see.. I'm getting bored during the day so I might work at home and see how it goes. Weather is supposed to be freezing next two to three days as most of you know. Lowest temps in the south in a long time. So will probably hunker down here and just sit near the fireplace.

Best to all!
 
Thanks Bill.. FOUR!!! I only one older son too.. and they are three years apart. I should have taken the meds prior to the trip!! haha!
 
Thanks, @dkirk0530 , for this new update. Keep 'em coming! My sanity is severely affected by all these threads in these last few weeks before my BTHR.
BTW: I taught twins how to drive a few years ago. Biggest problem I had was remembering which one needed pointers on what area of expertise as time went on!
Glad to hear you're onward to doing some 'normal' things!
 
Hey dkirk - sounds like you are doing great! I had my first outing in many days yesterday and all I want to do is sleep today :) not in pain though. Moving, stairs and pain are all much better now - day 19 but very impatient for 6 weeks as my conservative OS wants restrictions until then.

So glad you are sleeping better!

And if you and the South think it's cold - we are expecting at least -25F tonight with windchill tonight and tomorrow morning of -60F! All schools and many businesses closed tomorrow!

Pat
 
Pat.. @charmed-life bbrrr... stay warm. My daughter is climbing the walls hoping the schools will be closed and it's in the 50's right now. It should be interesting though. Wind chill around negative 3 by Tuesday.. I grew up in the north but Georgians do not know how to handle that kinda cold. Heck, I don't even have a real winter coat! PT tomorrow afternoon should be fun. Cold weather should be really kicked in by then! I hope your home holds up well and the heat stays on! Keep us posted.

I think there is something to be said about conservative approach.. I'm not overdoing it too even though the OS said, you have NO restrictions! I'm pacing myself. I am afraid to try to walk regularly still, kinda freaks me out! So I'm caning it still and walking slow! We only have about three weeks to get to six! I've heard that the 8 week mark is amazing.. so much to look forward to Pat! Stay very toasty!

Diane
 
Diane, I think the change from 2 weeks to almost 3 weeks was huge. Not as tired (usually), much less pain, much more mobility. I had an anterio-lateral incision - larger than the anterior but not as bad as posterior. I guess that means more restrictions but that's ok with me. My OS likes that better because he feels the end results are more proven and I was happy enough to go along with it. But no restrictions would have been nice.... I'm not planning PT unless I feel I need to work on gait or any walking issues or if I don't get enough recovery of range of motion. Happily my business (online sales of clothing for premature babies) is run from my home and I can keep up with it enough with help from my husband (getting inventory out of down stairs and our storage shed).

As for weather, we are used to it. My oldest daughter is a resident (doctor) at the U of MN and is on call tonight so hopefully no late night trips for her at -60F wind chill! Although she has to go in about 5-6 AM anyway to round and that's about the coldest time....
 
Pat, @charmed-life Wow.. -60 degrees!!! I hope your daughter had a good night. You must be very proud of your child Pat! and what a great home business too! and good you have a great hubby to support you. I'm still raising teens here and that drama itself is most of my stress right now. Son decided over holiday to not return to school this spring, good timing and added stress while I recover! I'm heart broken about this but know it's his life to live. I'm in higher ed so it's hard for me to let this go but I'm being as open minded as I possibly can and trying to keep him accountable while supporting his decision. He's smart but just needs to get a REAL job so he can see why education is important, his words not mine. He has always "hated" school. Real world experience is prob what he needs. So many young men in our area are disenfranchised re: higher ed due to economy and media stating it's a dead end no matter if you finish school or not. If I can help to support and get him on track too while I'm home then this time will be a double win for me. Utlimately it's up to him!

I agree about the 2-3 week change! Thankful to BS advisors and moderators for helping us understand the pain progress via the chart! :) I asked my doc for PT. I knew I would have issues with gait due to limp after surgery. My chiro recommended it as well to help stregthen and develop the muscles that declined due to lack of, or my modified use over two years. My OS agreed. We'll see how it goes.

I am getting antsy now to do things but refraining! I'm really looking forward to summer this year! First time in a long time I can honestly say that. Just to be able to go out for a walk in my neighborhood again with my husband! (He's a distance runner but is always okay with walking too.. we used to hike a lot too.) This past November we lost our 14 year old, sweet dog to renal failure. Prior to my hip issues we used to walk her a lot. She had hip issues too ironically so we started to decline about the same time! We were hippy buds! It was very depressing and sad for our family. If I feel good by spring, we might adopt another homeless pup! Would actually look forward to walking the dog now and it would get me out to lose the leg weight I cannot seem to shed by just dieting!! So looking forward to that! Talk soon Pat! Hope you are staying warm!
 
Those teen years can be hard - but your son is probably right. Either he will find a job he truly likes or he'll find out WHY he should go to get more education. While I have one who is a doctor, I have one who was asked to go to college early (by the school), graduated high in her class, but now just has a fairly basic job at the Children's Museum - no real career goals or passion in her, third daughter insisted she quit math and science classes after 2 yrs in HS and go to art school and now she works as a video editor making TV promos in West Hollywood... so you never know.

Tried a cane again last night and it worked really well! Up until then I felt I was limping too much. Also in the past couple of days, I think my leg length discrepancy (which was there before surgery due to bone angle that was "wrong" and after) is pretty much gone now that swelling is down! Yay! I already walk much better than I did and I think sticking with the walker this long helped that.

Pat
 
Woo hoo to the cane!! @charmed-life Pat! That is GREAT news! I agree slow and steady is important. I'm now moving around pretty well here too and THINK that my limp is gone too but not sure yet! Glute feels weird now but prob because it was not adequately used for years! Great news about not feeling the leg difference too! Woo Hoo.. when do you think you will be cleared to drive? Will the OS have to actually clear you to do so?

Thanks for encouraging words about teen years! I know he will find his way but it has to be his way. Sounds like yours certainly did. I tell him it's not about me, it's about him being happy and feeling like he's fulfilled in life. That's all I really want for both of my kids!
 
@dkirk0530 @charmed-life Thank you for continuing to post your progress. It really helps me. I am still waffling on this decision, but continue to come here on a daily basis to read everything I can. So far, I am still anticipating having this surgery, but I admit I am driving myself crazy with worry. I had horrible dreams last night. I don't remember them, but I woke up in a panic and have felt uneasy all day since. I know it is from this constant stress I am causing myself. I see my OS today and I am going to ask him to go over my left hip x-ray with me to show me exactly what I am dealing with. I think I am not well informed on the problems with my hip and that is causing me to doubt having a THR. I am glad to see you both progressing so well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom