THR Okay so it's over! 12/17/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
@dkirk0530 and @charmed-life I just read Diane's entire post. Wow this is such good observational info
for us who are nervous about what is to come. For me not til sometime in April. Its great to read what is going on and what to expect. I also like to hear about the differences that you various hippies experience in the techniques and recovery. A big thank :thankyou:you!
 
@dkirk0530 - that sounds very positive Diane that you are getting eager to go waling - you must be coming along really well and congratulations! In regard to your son - our son left school being totally disenchanted with it. Got a job as a resource room manager (he did the photocopying for an engineering firm) and was offered the opportunity to try CAD drafting which he took - fast forward 5 years and he is now a CAD draftsman earning nearly twice what I earn - he reckoned he only started learning when he left school.
@charmed-life - good on you Pat - you are coming along really well too by the sound of it. I am sure to keep in mind the slow and steady theme.
@Dmcfad2 - that sounds like a great idea Debbie - get as much information from the OS as you can to make a totally informed decision.
 
@Dmcfad2 Debbie.. I understand and hope you can find peace in the process and make some progress after talking with your OS today. At some point you will I am very certain. Fear is natural. I waffled a bit but when I saw that bone on bone x ray that really freaked me out and I realized I was not going to get better, I was just done. Perhaps talking through what your fears are with the OS would help? What's triggering those panic attacks and bad dreams. I know I thought of all the things that could go wrong and reading on the web can make you go crazy. Focusing on turning those negative thoughts into positive ones is important. You are very much into health and well being and thinking positive is also very important to your health. Hang in there, come to vent here and we'll help you through. I would not change and go back for a million bucks at this point! It's awesome w/out the pain or the knowledge the pain is looming if I just move the wrong way. I got very good at masking the pain from everyone including myself. Didn't realize till after how much I was struggling each and every day!!! Happy you are following us, we're having what I would consider different but pretty normal progress and being careful not to overdo at the same time and followng our friends at BS advise! In the grand scope of life, it'll be 8 weeks and I'll feel like I"m in a better place then to see each month through the rest of this year how my life expands again w/out worry of hip pain is going to make this short period of minor discomfort a fond memory! Peace!
 
Day 21.. yep.. three weeks ago the journey to a new me began. Today, forgot my cane a few times already.. that's a good thing! PT was great yesterday, slow and steady. Taking Tylenol 3 x a day now. No need for anything stronger and forgot that this a.m. too. Usually after sleeping flat on my back for 8 hours I need it! The PT is slowly working on flexibility! Excited for my staple removal tomorrow but not looking forward to drive to hospital.. 2 hours and my husband is driving which is never good ;) am a little nervous about staple removal.. any experiences out there? @Josephine Josephine.. do they basically just cut them out? Also.. thanks for sharing the razor.. think I might have to venture to a store to see if I can find one of those contraptions! Many thanks!

Going to ask for release to return to transitional work. Am ready to get the brain geared up for 2014!! Will take it slow and steady and work when I'm able. Release will be very conditional, on my terms and focused on recovery.
 
My dad had carotid artery surgery with staples and they just had me take them out at home - very easy and didn't hurt really
 
Thanks @Josephine Well.. my husband had skin grafts YEARS ago on his legs for serious burns. I'm talking YEARS ago.. and he said he remembered it hurt! Haha! So thanks for the graphic and the LOL.. that makes me feel like compared to what we've all been through, this is a cake walk and a half! Thanks Pat too!! @charmed-life If you removed them your dad's staples for an artery.. hhmmm. maybe I should just open up my new clippers and go to town.. just kidding! We're making the chilly trip north to HOTLanta in the a.m. taking my shower tonight bbbrrr! no early a.m. wake-up calls for this girl.

@MajorHeidi Claire.. I'm seriously bored. If I could be doing lots around my house I would but since I'm just sitting here watching General Hospital, I'd rather be working on developing policies and/or working on an RFP that I have out to bid right now.. the world awaits my return. My manager is very patient and has been AWESOME.. told all my employees to not email or call me haha! I'm happy they do well without me.. that's a good sign but I'm just ready to ease back into it and I mean ease! on my terms.. I'm fortunate to have that option for sure! and yes, will be eating my words in a few weeks but again, not fully released per OS (not sure if I'll have restrictions yet but my suggestions is with stretchy pants and atheletic shoes and walking once per hour!) until 8 weeks so if I get tired or whatever, I'm just going to stop. Peace all.. onward and upward to staple removal day! woot woot!
 
@dkirk5430 Just posting regarding staple removal. Had mine removed 14 days after op by the nurse at local GP practice.....I actually didn't realise I had 39 staples until after she had removed them...didn't feel anything except a slight pull on about 5 of them...took about 30 seconds.....please don't worry about it....been reading your recovery updates....so glad you are doing do well and everything coming along nicely.... Also read with interest about your son deciding to leave school and go to work...can empathise...however my now 40 year old daughter left school at 16 and went to work as a clerk in a solicitors office...much against our wishes...however, she gained an insight as to the value of money and gained a great work ethic.... She is now the Managing Director of a company and earning a huge salary.....who knows? Sometimes they have to go their own way. Good luck with the staple removal. Cheers Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny Thank you very much for our post! wooo.. glad the staples will be a breeze!! Thanks for sharing! I've been recoverving from my hip but the worry over my son, well that's been even greater! You and many other folks on here give me hope in more ways than I can imagine. I think if he can figure himself out, he will be very successful... but hey we all go through this at some point in life and he just feels much deeper than most. I guess I can relate. Thank you again Chrissie! :)
 
Staples out, wound looks good.. I'll take a picture soon! :) It's not a very large cut for sure. Stitch removal pinched a bit but I talked with the PA the whole time so it was absolutely fine! You were all so right! They were pleased with my range of motion. I go back in 3 mos. for xrays, no restrictions, do what I'm comfortable with at this point. PT to rebuild muscle, tingling in leg and numbness will work it's way out. Had some minor groin pain today. OS not worried at all, prob just muscles that have been unused going what the heck?? OS said no need to take it easy, just wants me to work on range of motion as I'm able. Great OS.. love his bedside manner.. very calm. Wants me to ditch cane around the house to start.. told him I had but was not sure if I should. ;) He said YES.. by all means if I'm comfortable with doing so just do it! Yea!

My mom had her hip replacement this a.m.. Brother reports all is well she came through and was a complete success. Wish I was there. Talked with her last night. She was so excited that I was doing well. Had her hair and nails done so felt good! Hope I can encourage her through these first few weeks. She can get quite negative at times! I kept telling her to think positive thoughts! Will see her hopefully at the end of the month. She's 86! Brother told me her doc just did replacments on an 86 and a 96 year old this week and all were doing great! Woot Woot.. We are all so lucky to have modern medicine and to be able to live in a day and age where there are solutions and medical miracles like this. Giving thanks for many wonderful blessings, physicians, nursing teams and for all of you on BS as well! Have a great day!
 
@dkirk0530 What a great report! and so happy for you that the staples didn't hurt.
I hope your mom has a smooth recovery like you are having. :happydance:
 
Diane, I have watched your recovery...one of the first I watched on here and trying to not be fearful. Your attitude and recovery gives me some reassurance that it will not be as bad as I am imagining...You sound so great... I pretty much have day to day pain and it has gotten much and know it is probably time to do this. Hearing you and charmed life talking about your recovery makes such a difference for me and others who are terrified of upcoming surgery.
By the way... I am a high school teacher whose son left high school in 11th grade, went straight to the test...passed with a 98 and is doing great working as a hockey coach...He hated high school... daughter was a straight A student who finished college in 3 years and now has a great job with the Ritz Carlton. Kids are all different. Being a teacher...I would be the first to say school really is not for everyone.. some kids really do better working their way up in a job... he will do fine...sounds like he has a caring mom who is letting him do what is right for his life..
thanks again for all the reassurance.
Jennifer
 
Yay! Staples all gone...fab! Hope your mum's recovery goes as well as yours....bet you will be glad to catch up with her. My sister had knee replacement this week too and doing nicely. So agree with you that we are lucky to be living in an age of replacement parts....mmm got a few more things I'd like replaced too!! Keep up the good work...Chrissie xxx



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Diane, I just read your whole thread. I've been on vacation and missed a lot of the new stories. I'm8 weeks post RTHR today, and feeling great. I just wanted to offer support about your son- I have a 21 yyear old, we made him go to school locally first year after graduation, then he moved to Santa Barbara for JC and to live away from home, after 2 years of that we could see he was not progressing much and not liking it. He worked in Maine at a summer camp til August then came home and didn't want to go back to Santa Barbara. We said ok but he was going to have to pay for everything we had been paying for while he was in school. He got it, was working at a local café for a couple months, then decided on his own to move back to SB, had already talked to a previous boss about a job, and had a place to stay with friends. I encouraged him to at least save up more by working here, and go up in January, but he said he felt like he was at a standstill here, and was needed to try to get by on his own.. He has done pretty well, living with friends, working on campus but not taking classes, and hasn't asked for any money. I know he struggles, but that's okay. It's not what I want for him, and I hope at some point he wants more education, but honestly he was always an average student, we had to push him thru school at times. A few years ago, he got interested in being a barber, and has worked part-time at a shop here, and is now wanting to do either a barber or full cosmetology program. This came out of nowhere, but he's actually doing his friends' hair and he's pretty good. Sorry for rambling on, but it took awhile for us to accept this. Your son will find his path, and hopefully enjoy the journey!:SUNsmile:
 
Thanks all! @zumzumpammy and @psychteach for advise and support about my son's journey and I have to remember it's his journey. He decided to day to forgo school but said he wants to return, just needs to experience work for awhile. I'm fine with his decision and will ask him to fork over his earnings for loss of investment we cannot recover for apartment and two classes he failed this fall. His idea to pay us back, gotta respect that! He needs to work on his social skills and find some friends. High school did a number on him. Ironically he does well in hard classes and passed Trig and Physics.. he gets bored easily.. likes a challenge.. ugh.. He will also be able to pay off "bill" by working for me around the house! We'll see how it goes. I appreciate all of your perspectives on this as experienced parents. Wow.. more than hip suppport on BS!!

It's been a great day. Mom or Mum @Hoppy Nanny :) is well and she sounded great.. she had a spinal and did not have the sickness I had after. Given my experience think I should have opted for that route but all in all was only a day of bllaaahhh!! I'm so excited for my mom, she's been so crippled with pain and suffers from back and knee pain too. I hope this gives her a new lease on life.

I had a lot of confidence after seeing OS. I've managed around the house quite nicely without my cane, doing laundry, dishes, sweeping, etc. Pain and swelling has really decreased in the leg and as I walk I can tell it's becoming more "normal" to do so. Staple removal was a very positive change for me :) I'm so hopeful for all of you and will keep an eye out for you @psychteach and will read of your progress so far since you are in front of me @zumzumpammy Love this site!
 
Diane, Did you have the spinal or general? I am terrified for general...had it for parathyroid surgery two years ago and although I had no bad reaction or sickness the whole idea of it scares me... I am much more comfortable with the idea of a spinal...and the lack of after effects...
 
@psychteach I had general as a last minute switch in the pre op room. When I first talked to the anethesia asst. she said it would be a spinal unless I had strong interest in general. I wish I had not changed to general. I was sick for the entire day and they had given me an extra dose of anti nausea meds too.. they didn't work. I started feeling better around 8 p.m. that evening. I hate that after surgery feeling and have it almost every time I go "under". Wny did I make that list minute change? The Anethesiologist talked with me while I was laying in the pre-op room and sort of talked me into it. He asked me if I really wanted to do the spinal. I was not strongly convicted to the spinal so I was easily swayed! I WISH I had researched on BS prior to the surgery to see that it would have been a great option but didn't do my homework. I was frightened by the thought of not being under with the twighlight meds and seeing or hearing tihngs. I have come to learn that that does not happen. He also asked me if I had back or neck issues and that he'd recommend general if I had other probs.. so although the decision was mine, it seemed like the world was pointing me torwards general, a more predictable approach for me. My mom had surgery yesterday and she talked to me w/in hours after surgery and said she felt GREAT! and she had a spinal. She was concerned she would have nausea like me.. but did not. Also, husband was tracking a patient that went in AFTER me and he was up and about while I was still sick as a pup after surgery. His recovery seemed to be a lot faster, per my husband. So I'd suggest doing your research, making the best choice for you and considering you are not a fan of really going under! Best!
 
thank you...One of the reasons I am even thinking of doing the surgery is the fact that I found out I could have a spinal. When I had my parathyroid surgery, it was considered minimally invasive surgery and all things I had read said you could just have a spinal... but my doctors said they did not do it under a spinal as it was throat surgery, 3 hour surgery ( have to repeat blood levels while on table) and on the chance I could move during the surgery. I left the office in tears as the idea of general...a machine in control of my body scared me ..( a lot of control issues I have!!) ...
I asked because one of the things I hate more than anything is throwing up!!!...and I thought you had that reaction from spinal...
I was lucky that I had no nausea after my general anesthesia...my mom does not get it either..hear it is genetic...
so again...you made me feel better:)... Spinal is definitely the way for me ..They will not be able to talk me out of that one... haha...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom