THR Okay so it's over! 12/17/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know exactly what you mean. Seemed crazy on good days - and then there were days when I wanted to break the darn hip so I could do it NOW. But I had noticed a pattern of more frequent and worse flare- ups, wanted to do it in winter and be healed by late spring summer to start riding bikes again. And wanted to do it before it got so bad I was weak and out of shape. Even in the past two weeks I sometimes wondered if the worry and huge effort to heal were worth it . Now that it's better I'm pretty sure it was right! I knew it was coming someday... So now glad to be on the getting better side.
 
Debbie,

I do think if you have bone on bone as I did, the inevitable is around the corner. I was at a point where I had to take NSAIDS and had two cortisone shots in the hip joint. My hip was like a square marshmallow with cysts in it. It went from moderate OA to end stage OA in less than a two years! Even when I had good days, and I did, the hip would kick in if I didn't baby it. I was limping really bad hurting my back and my knee and screwing up my hip muscles I now have to rebuild. Thinking back now, most events I did over the past two years I was always thinking about my hip!!! Will it be okay, will I be in pain? I just got tired of living that way. If you are bone on bone then you are on the right path. Even with the pain I have now and discomfort/annoyance more than pain, I'm so pleased that I'm climbing out of the hole I was in. I was not living I was just existing. This year will be mine to take back. I was told by my original OS to wait as long as I could. I feel like I did that but in hindsight, I thinkI lost at least a year of fully leaving without boundries. I would never ever ever think of going on a cruise or a hike or whatever in the shape I was in... I went to Disney World and spent the whole time there in utter pain!.. that's not living that's just existing. I wish you the best in your decision and I do think you are on the right path.

Today, swelling is down. I'm walking really well post 15 days and have a feeling that the next week and a half will just keep on getting better and better. I start outpatient PT tomorrow too so will have a true assessment of where I'm at and what I need to work on more. Best to you! I'll keep posting updates, and this site will encourage you as well. It's helped me tremendously when i was lost and confused!!

Diane
 
@Dmcfad2 I guess while the final decision obviously comes down to you Debbie - in the long run your hip will not improve and I know if I were in the position of having pain free days I would still want the THR as I would feel it would be like a cloud hanging over me eg: well today is great BUT when - not will - but when will the pain return and how bad will it be... just my two cents worth :)
 
Thanks Bill.. and good point about pain.. it will always return and at some point I've read that it's worse waiting till the detioriation is even worse.. so glad I did the surgery when I did. Sounds like from my surgeon I was a pretty easy case and no rebuilding or screws were needed.. thankful I went ahead when I did! Happy New Year Bill!
 
Wow.. day 15 and sleeping is my biggest issue. I HATE sleeping on my back. I'm just not comfortable anymore. I just wish I could go to bed, roll over on my side and feel "norm". I know I'm a few weeks or months away from this feeling but for now, I'm frustrated with the lack of good sleep. I know others say to nap but if I nap I'm up till 3 a.m. then I'm really jacked up. prob too much info but going off of hormone meds to avoid blood clots has started up hot flashes again and that's also bothersome. I was told I could start all meds again, including my trusty patch but it scares me a bit to do so when I still have swelling going on.. so I'm taking the safer route, taking aspirin and also taking benadryl to help me sleep. Im talking room is 66 degrees and I'm sweating then freezing, then sweating then freezing.. so I'll talk to the OS next week and see if to get the sleep I need I should start back on hormone patch.. this has been a frustrating exprience with lack of sleep!

Also.. world starts back tomorrow... having said that I'm okay with not working in prevous posts, I'm still dealing with that weirdness of not going back! I'll get through it just venting. It's only a few more weeks and I hope to feel better about slowly transitioning back. No way could I work right now due to lack of sleep and hot flashes. Ugh!! Upbeat but frustrated tonight.. it's a work in progress. I'll get there.

Diane
 
Diane, I'm 10 yrs older than you and never on hormones, hot flashes very rare for me but I do hate having to stay on my back - my OS wants me to until 6 weeks. Also hate I can't move my legs more as it leads to muscle cramps for me 90 degree rule, etc)

I'm also day 15. Still napping usually twice a day for an hour - just get tired. But I sleep fairly well on the pain meds - cut back to ½ as much daytimes but take 2 oxycondrone at night every 4 hrs (or when I wake up). Amuse myself with my phone (as I am now) until I fall asleep and find I'm sleeping far better than before surgery. Try not to worry as much - that only makes insomnia worse.

Hope it will get better for you when you can be more active - and more tired and if they let you back on hormones. I've noticed sleep has actually been more natural and comfortable the last couple of nights - hope for a good night for both of us!!

Pat
 
Well Diane and Pat the biggest concern for me is sleeping on my back also - I am trying to do it at the moment and last about 30 seconds before rolling over - I hate sleeping on my back. I guess you will hear my whinges when I am post op too.
 
Woke up in the hospital with my legs bel attached by Velcro to a foam triangular pillow to hold them in place with pumps on both calves to help circulation - my idea of torture - but not as bad as it sounds. After two nights in hospital with foam thing and two at home graduated to a pillow between my legs. Actually for days your leg feels so heavy you don't try to move it. It's been easier than I thought!

You will make it!
 
Thanks Pat and I'm sure I will. I recall as an 11 year old when I slipped my epiphysis I had sand bags down both side of my left leg to stop it from moving. I had to lay there for 14 days before being allowed up. It amazed my parents that I stayed still for that long :shocked:
 
@dkirk0530 Sounds like you're having an amazing recovery! Just wanted to wish you well with continued smooth sailing ahead! :-)
Kay
 
Thanks all. It's better than I thought too but just pining for a good cool night! Haha! Pat interesting about pillow. I only had compressing boots on and I thought they would annoy but I found them somewhat soothing!! I will get through. I was never told of the restriction not to side sleep but can tell it would not work either at this point!

Pat am glad you are getting good sleep!! That's great! I will hope to channel you tonight! Thanks for listening to me vent! Off to PT in morning!
 
@dkirk0530 Hi Diane, glad things getting better despite the horrible hormonal side....who needs hot flushes too?? Have to say to everyone interested...I hated the thought of sleeping on my back but....now at 12 weeks post op I love it....never thought that would happen....really weird because I have no penchant to sleep on my side now....custom and practice, I guess!.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Not as bad a night as I thought.. Slept till 630am EST. Back not totally killing me. I do have a sleep number bed that I love and have adjusted too. Still sweating and freezing! You men out there sure would not like this added middle age bonus! My dear husband doesn't understand. He thinks it odd. I always used to freeze! Now I don't want the heat turned on in winter! Haha! Leg and hip feel good today. Hobbling nicely! Best to all!
 
I'm frustrated with the lack of good sleep
It's not really related to your position. Did you ever read this Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable?
going off of hormone meds to avoid blood clots has started up hot flashes again and that's also bothersome. I was told I could start all meds again, including my trusty patch but it scares me a bit to do so when I still have swelling going on
I don't understand that. If your hot flushes are so bad, why would you not want to start using your patches again? Presumably it was a doctor that gave you permission and not a ward nurse? However, if you really don't want to go back on them, there is a quite old fashioned drug call clonidine which I use for hot flushes and one 25 micrograms once or twice a day works wonderfully well. Only trouble is it makes your mouth dry but I found regular use of chewing gum helps with that!
 
Thanks for the article.. it's VERY helpful! I was getting in my head about it and not just accepting the reality. I had a good night last night. Also tried to avoid caffeine altogether which I think helped a lot. Also helps with hot flushes.

I had a nurse tell me it was okay to go back on all my meds. I'm not so sure she was thorough though and they were so freaked out when I told them pre-op that I was never told to go off them.. that I'm just being a tad paranoid! I jumped into a few of my over the counter meds today so I'm easing back to it. Will probably pop on a patch today :) Although I kind of like the idea of trying the remedy you suggested, probably lots less exepensive option!!! Thanks Josephine!

Day 16 Post Op.. pretty good and overall a great day. Went to PT today. She is helping with range of motion and it was very helpful, not overwhelming. Had me move to cane, off of crutch, crutch hurting under arm. Very slow and gentle stretches at this point with her assistance. I have no restrictions on my order so she testing my range of motion and strength and will work with me over the next 6 to 8 weeks to slowly slowly move in the right direction. I am very happy with her approach and glad I waited till today to start this even though she said folks start earlier. I was able to drive myself to and fro and also went shopping afterwards with my Daughter, returning presents and shopping. Cooked dinner tonight as well. Happy happy happy! Feeling good tonight still not sore at all. Will do second round of PT later tongiht or as she says, just when you have a few minutes to stretch, while watching TV.. overall progressing nicely! Cannot wait to get staples out, that's next Weds! She also told me I could sleep on my non-operative side with pillow.. so that helped me as well. I'm not sure I will but at least I understand that I can at this point.
 
Interesting how its different - nurses told me I could sleep with a pillow between my legs but OS said not to at my followup at 2 weeks. He wants me to wait until 6 weeks.... also can't drive because its my right leg. But on the other hand, he does not do any PT referral until after 6 weeks - they are all different I guess.

Pat
 
Yep.. really different Pat! The PT at the hospital told me not to see any other PT. I think in the long run, we all know what is best for us. I'm not sure I'll be able to handle side sleeping just yet even though I cannot stand back sleeping. We'll see! Yes.. so fortunate it's my left HIP! I know I would be grounded until much later if not.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom