THR Okay so it's over! 12/17/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
@fulafoto Isn't it frustrating pre op with the pain situation..... Some people just do get how the pain limits your life, your freedom to do normal everyday things and in a lot of ways the ability to enjoy life in everyday situations. The pain controls your life in fact..... And when it reaches that point the decision to have surgery is really made for you. Please be assured that you WILL have your life back...you will feel normal again and the pleasure that you gained from normal everyday life will soon be back in your life. If you have read my thread (I wished I'd found this site before...) you will see that recovery is by no means without it's ups and downs...there were times when I wished I'd never had the op....but 11 weeks on I've had the best Xmas in 2 years.....I travelled for 2 hours, stayed in an hotel for 2 nights and enjoyed a regular family Xmas day with NO PAIN........no worrying that my hip would lock and I wouldn't be able to move at all ( and feel at least 100 years old). You will soon be in that position...2014 will be the year you are again in control of your life...not that awful limiting pain. I wish you well for your op and for your recovery......I know I still have a way to go...but I'm on my way and you will soon be too....enjoy the festivities....love Chrissie xxxx




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks for sharing Bill and Poppet. I do think that this has given me a very good understanding of others pain. my 86 year old mom is having surgery in two weeks, hip replacement. I'm really concerned for her well being. I know she will be in a rehab, unlike the majority of us who have to return home pretty soon. It's hard asking folks for help from family but it's only a very short period of time that we need the help. Best to you and thanks for the photos Poppet.. will remind my fam I have a foreign body in me that has only been here less than a week!
 
Update.. Day 12 and Sunday. Feeling pretty good today. Almost forgot the walker when I got up this a.m.. that was weird! I still need it for stability though and quickly grabbed my new best friend by the arms and got her going again. Thinking of venturing out today. Not sure where. I have to get out of this house!!! Not much room to wonder around so I think I need a little more distance, not a lot, just a little.. right now I just circle around a small living room. It's getting old! I have managed to take a second walker into the shower for stability and stand while showering. This was a great achievement for me! Now I do not have to ask husband to move potty chair from bathroom into shower and standing much better than sitting! Leg swelling going down a bit too, I keep icing, medicating, etc. so I'm following suggestions to the best of my ability.

Insomnia and rest are the devil to me right now. Never ever slept on my back and now feel like that's my only option. Currently sleeping in a recliner, doesn't hurt my back as much and my arms go numb in bed after a short period of time. Soooo..any suggestions for this?

My two week mark is on Tuesday. I am thinking of asking the doc to order a crutch or borrowing one if I cannot get through due to NYE holiday. I have a cane but what's your opnion, crutch or cane?

Thanks all!

Thanks!
 
@dkirk0530 , I was much more comfortable with one crutch. A cane didn't offer me the stability I needed just post-op. I never used a walker. Left the hospital on 2 crutches and by day 2 at home was using only 1 crutch. Can you borrow a crutch from the Red Cross?
 
It really is great to follow your successful recovery and to hear of your triumphs and your troubles. It puts everything into perspective for me and gives me foresight into my upcoming BTHR.
Thanks, @dkirk0530 !
 
:)DrToonz! Wow.. you are very welcome. I do not want to forget this experience if I have to have a second.. other hip is in "rock star" shape per Doc.. and that surprised them. I see you are having a bilat. Wowza and good for you! it's a new year and a new life down the road for you as well. I have a very good friend, about 60 that had hers bilat about a year ago. She is now walking about 1.5 miles a day! and goes to the gym all the time and is in better shape than she has been in years. She looks ten years younger and she told me she feels the same. Just needs to be careful not to overdo it! Haha.. can you even imagine that type of pain?

As others have told me on here we need to celebrate the small accomplishments. For now, that's what I'm focusing on! Every day it gets a bit better.. the fist few w/out proper pain management by a confused nurse that was overseeing me was my only issue.

and Jaycey.. I'm going to check on that Red Cross suggestion.. I found my second walker at a thrift shop! It was only ten dollars. Had it at my house for my mom.. now I'm using it. We share in my family
 
@dkirk0530 - sounds like you're doing great :happydance:and already wanting to venture out to the big wide world - that is fantastic! I am enjoying following your posts as well and reading of your successes and limitations. Must be great to shower standing up!
Keep celebrating your small accomplishments too - you're doing sensational!
@Jaycey - That is a great idea re the thrift shop and I might just check them out myself for underarm crutches and a walker :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Okay so it's over!  12/17/13
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Okay so it's over!  12/17/13
bottomshollow
 
Crutch? So this is going to be a weird question, if I'm a LTHR, do I use the crutch under left arm or right arm? I"m assuming left but if I feel like it should right, does that mean I should use two? Trying to figure out how to use a crutch... PT didn't show me that! Help? I know it's for stability but it seems a bit odd right now.. just started using the crutch(s) today.. thanks!
 
You should use it on your right side for a LTHR...opposite sides.
 
Thanks a bunch! Thought so based on feeling but wanted to be sure!
 
Yep - right side for left hip - that is how I was using it when on one crutch - my beloved said I was using it on the wrong side - I told her to favour her left leg and use the crutch on the left side - point made:thumb:
 
Hey Dmcfad2!.. I'm doing well, thanks for checking in! I am on one crutch! Walking pretty well, swelling is down. I am "babying" the hip I think though. My glutes hurt more tonight, I think it's from the increase in walking perhaps? I also have company over. My legs, ankles are a bit swollen too.. so elevating icing, medicating etc.. I am on Day 14 today and so far mighty pleased with progress. I'm impatient but working on that!.. 2014 is going to be a very interesteing year.. are you new to BS? what's your plan?? Take care and happy new year!

Diane
 
@dkirk0530, Yes, I am pretty new here. I have been reading all the threads and it has convinced me to go through with my LTHR in March. I am following your progress. I am scared, but relieved that I have finally made the decision to do it, after canceling once before because my pain isn't always bad. I always ask myself if I can hold on longer, but I just am putting off the inevitable. So, I think I am ready!
 
It's good to wait when you are still young, true, but once the impact on your life is great enough, you know it's time - mostly. I went back and forth up to the day of surgery - and although at two weeks out, I'm still recovering, I'm in less pain now and can sleep better actually. Looking ahead I can see I will be off all pain meds and that's a huge relief.
 
@charmed-life, I am glad you are recovering nicely. I woke up this morning with doubts again. I am just feeling so darn good right now. No bone on bone pain and I am sleeping well with no pain. It is maddening. I am so glad I am feeling so good, but wonder if it will last or will I do something that puts me in pain again?? When I postpone surgery, it puts me back at the bottom of the list. Then, if I have bad days and decide I am ready, I have to wait 4 months. When I put myself back on the list 3 months ago, I was having pain and was so ready! And here I am this morning virtually pain free, as I have been for over a month now. Oh, what to do.......
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom