Bilateral TKR Oh M'Achin' Hamstrings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello my way,
Good the (little nasties) are out :) I cried like a little baby :cry: I didn't want anyone near my knee. I thought of
A childhood memory & thought you would get a :heehee: out of it.
All my life my mom has loved seagulls....statues, paintings, all over the house. Every time we would go to the
Beach (public) she would feed the damn seagulls :shrug: people would yell at her. My sister, brother &i would
Pretend we didn't know her :whistle: she even talked to those birds.....a beach patrol man came & kicked us
Off the beach 1 time :yikes:
To this day I can't stand seagulls (dirty birds) but she really loved them :rotfl:
Glad you are doing so well....
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
Glad that the little nasties are gone :yay: I also had a little inflammation in a couple of spots along the scar and a little oozing for 24 hours after removal even though mine stayed in for 22 days. However it settled down and the scar looks fine now.

It is funny how a little trip to the hospital feels like a major excursion these days :spin: I slept all yesterday afternoon after my check up with the hospital physio
 
Well it's the first day of my third week. I no longer watch the clock move ever so slowly while waiting for my next lot of pain killers.The deep intense pain has settled to an annoying ache. My knees are working fine and I am confident to let them take my weight. My incisions look good and there has been do drainage. The nurse remarked the lack of anything on my dressings when she removed the staples yesterday. I can't wait till I can use some moisturizer on them though. :sigh: I still take rests and small naps during the day and I'm going to keep that up.
Everyone has been surprised at my lack of swelling but I must have had some as my knees are smaller today and the incision on my right knee has moved more to the center.:) I wonder if the slimming will spread to the rest of my body? :snork:
I still don't do any formal PT, just some stretching and bending. Stairs are not bad at all but I still only do one at a time. I'm in no rush. I'm starting to do a little more walking about the house and I can get around without the walker but I use to get rid of the penguin waddle. That's going to take some time after two years of side to side walking.
The worst thing is trying to find a comfy way to sleep. Toss and turn, fight with the pillows, try to find a cool spot in the bed to lay my legs on.:hairpulling:
All in all I think I'm doing well and pray It continues.I don't think I would be so well if I hadn't found everyone here. I educated myself and followed the mantra.
taking it slow and easy
Wanda
Hi new knee in June I must be like your mother I love Gulls!:heehee: I think they are so pretty and they are smart. I don't feed them however as I would be covered in dodo on my walks.
The little thing sure do beat us out puffin I guess It's our body 's way of making us stop and take it easy.
 
Sounds like you are steadily improving My way

I think that finding a comfy sleeping position is one of the toughest aspects - I still have not managed that totally
 
The deep intense pain has settled to an annoying ache.
That pain, too, will eventually subside! You are doing great!

The worst thing is trying to find a comfy way to sleep. Toss and turn, fight with the pillows, try to find a cool spot in the bed to lay my legs on.:hairpulling:
I totally and completely understand how you feel---it was equally frustrating for me, too. Several of my friends told me and warned me about it--they had TKR's before I did. I did not believe them, though. I ended up like a modern-day Diogenes---except instead of looking for one honest man, I wandered around the house looking for one good night's sleep.

All in all, though, it sounds like you are dog great!
 
I know what you mean Tim. I've even eyed the zero gravity lounger on the deck.:gaah:
Wanda
 
:yikes: I had a very rude awakening this morning! In the twilight zone between sleep and waking I was turning over and trying to get untangled from the blankets. I gave a mighty heave with my left leg and my bend increased far beyond any point it had since surgery. My poor husband came running in to the room and was met with some very unladylike language! :snork: I'm happy to say the pain didn't last very long and my knee suffered no after effects. My mind may be a different story.:rotfl:
The good news is I know the ROM is there but I'm still going to take the slow and steady approach.
Wanda
 
Dear my way,
:shocked: :gaah: :yikes: I ' m glad you had no lingering pain from that little move. Possibly you were trying
To kick himself in the head again :heehee:
Go slow & easy, that is no way to check your rom :wink:
Thinking of you,
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
:yikes: yikes - I am glad that you are OK and had no lasting effects. I think it is a good sign when you "forget" for a while that you can no longer do these things!

I did this the other day when I accidently used my TKR leg to push myself up the bed - ouch
 
Hello my way,
How are you doing ? Good I hope,...I read on my thread that you are getting along pretty well
For yourself :) I am on a roller-coaster...if I stay home I don't need the Percocet. If I go out or to p.t
I have to go back to the pain pills :hissy: I am still icing constantly & still can't :sleep: through the night.
Today it was 100 degrees :scare: this is our 3rd heat wave this summer.
If I don't make it ...it was nice knowing you :loll:
I'm not kidding I need snow, snow & more snow :angel:
Thinking of you,
Diana :kittykiss:
 
No new knee in June you only think you need snow! If that were to happen we would have problems with slipping and sliding and still be stuck inside.:snork:
I'm still doing great! I was sitting outside yesterday and I realized that I had no pain! :SUNsmile: it was the first time in many months. I have been able to go up to 7+ hours between meds and I still have no swelling. I can raise my left leg without help now so Himself no longer has to get me in bed.
I got a call from the hospital PT clinic yesterday to give me an app. for Monday. I'll go and check it out and see what their methods are. I hope they are the same as the PT I had before discharge. I hope so as the idea post op was let the surgery heal. This is why they wait 3 weeks before checking up on you. I will lay down the ground rules from the beginning. I have done so well and come so far on my own. I won't let anyone push or scare me into aggressive exercises.
I'm going to try a short visit to a small supermarket today and call it a PT session. 10 or 15 minutes at the most to test the waters.
Titianlady where are you, hello
Wanda
 
Dear my way,
What a great post :) I am so happy you are doing so well :yes: I like your attitude about letting p.t
Know ahead of time about what you will do, & what you won't do :ok: I start o.p.therapy on Monday & will do the same.
I weeded 3 gardens today....I had to sit on a low wall & I got back up :heehee: it wasn't pretty, but I did it. If I could
Just :sleep: through the night life would be :yahoo:
Thinking of you always,
Diana :friends:
 
My way
Hope that you have a good PT appointment on Monday and that they follow the BS methods. Good that you will set out some ground rules and not allow them to intimidate you into aggressive PT using scare tactics :thumb:

new knee in June
Amazing that your have been weeding the garden - not surprised that it was hard to get up afterwards. Hope you have a good PT appointment on Monday

Seems that all three of us are starting PT on Monday :dancy:
 
puffin and new knee in June I didn't notice that we were all going to start Pt on Monday! Ha ha I've caught up to you two!:snork:
I did do the supermarket this morning. It wasn't too bad. I only stayed for 15 minutes and sent Himself up an down the aisles. The cart made a wonderful walker and I kept saying to myself..heel, ball, toe. The 15 minutes was enough though as I didn't have a good leg to use to rest the battered one. It was good to get out but I wouldn't push it. I came home and took it easy. I experienced the tight rubber band feeling this afternoon so now I know what that feels like. .....Strange.

Time for jammies and a cuppa :yawn: you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be here several times during the night though. :sigh:
Wanda
 
:dancy: My way you certainly seem to have caught me up. I also did my first supermarket walk yesterday using my walker but I am now icing
 
Good morning my way,
I have already been to the supermarket today :) my big accomplishment today was putting on my new
Sneakers I bought for o.p.therapy :egypdance: I have basically been in socks or barefoot since June 3rd.
I thought I would be tripping over them, but I actually walk more heel-toe :spin: I have tried to cut back on Percocet
But I get funny little cramps & zingers :groan: I only take 2 a day, so not so bad.
Looks like you, me & puffin have therapy tomorrow, I suppose we will be talking about our aches & pains :rotfl:
Have a great relaxing Sunday.....
All my best,
Diana :friends:
 
Well my first PT visit was about what I expected. :sigh: Very young PT, I got the usual the 8 week window of opportunity to increase ROM, push through the pain.....etc. speech. Then it was "You have already got 3 weeks of that window gone." I told her I felt I was doing rather well with my recovery ROM 95/0 and 92/5 but she still insisted I must work harder. I was also told that I may be laying down scar tissue and it may be adhering to my tibia???????
She was impressed with the lack of swelling, my gait and the ability to do stairs. She felt my leg strength was good and my activity level was fine at this stage of recovery.
I asked her how do I compare with others at 20 days post op BTKR and was told that I was ahead of most. So What is it? On the one hand she says I'm doing great and on the other I need to work harder. :headbang:I said nothing and when I was asked when I could come for my next app. I told her in a week. I'm going to work on this myself for a while. Next app is next Monday.
I didn't let her hurt me.:snork:
Wanda
 
Good job, Wanda. Supermarket, good ROM, managing pain, and standing up to your PT. I think you are doing great!
 
Glad to hear that you are doing so well Wanda :thumb:

Your hospital PT sounds about the same as the one I saw last week - trotting out the standard lines from their "script" regardless of whether they actually apply in your case. Keep following to BS gentle approach as it seems to be keeping you "ahead of most" which means you are actually doing great
:friends:
 
Dear my way,
Bravo to you :bow: I hope a lot of the other bonesmartie s read your thread, it would
Save a bunch of :cry: & feeling like they are useless,& not trying hard enough. Not to mention the
Damage they are doing to their knee :yikes:
Stay the course my dear, you are doing fantastic :happydance:
Now, I will say a :angel: for your comfort during the night.
Thinking of you always,
Diana :kittykiss:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom