Bilateral TKR Oh M'Achin' Hamstrings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yahoo! :happydance:Himself was helping me get on the bed and when he started to swing my legs up, the left one came up about a foot on it's own!:SUNsmile: It only moved once last week without help and this morning I realized I put it up a few inches without thinking about it. My right leg was never a problem. I kicked Himself in the head last night with that one getting into bed.:rotfl: I guess it takes time for every thing to wake up.
I had a fair night last night, sleeping for 4 hours.There was less discomfort this morning and I managed to wash and dress with no help. I also washed my hair standing at the kitchen sink.
The nurse wanted me to change my dressings today. You should have seen the shade of grey Himself turned when I removed the dressings.:snork: Poor dear.
This afternoon has been a little uncomfortable despite laying down. So time for meds and my book.
Wanda:SUNsmile:
 
Yay ... your foot moved on its own. Well done! Sounds like you're doing really well for only 10 days post op :)

Lol re your husband, mine also turned a nasty shade of grey when he saw the staples! The nurse tried to joke with him and say she needed his help with removal :snork:

Hope you feel better after having a rest :)
 
You are doing well to lift your own leg - I couldn't get into bed myself for almost 5 weeks :friends:
 
puffin I was wondering about your ability to lift your leg last night after mine surprised me. I'm so glad you can finally lift it! :happydance: At least we know things will eventually get better. I was restless last night as it was very humid and my legs were sore. :sigh: Time...My worse discomfort is on the inner side of both knees. It feels like a very tender bruise.
Today is better. I made my own coffee just using the counter for support and walked to my desk with only one hand on the walker. It's all a matter of gaining confidence. I even went down the front stairs and sat on my front deck to see my beloved beach and see there is life out there. I was pleased that I could go up and down well using my cane. I was amazed at how much energy it took :shocked: and I had to lay down for a while.
The pain is not as bad today more soreness than anything.
Hope everyone is doing well
Wanda
 
Great news Wanda! Nice to hear you have a beach to keep you company on your deck...sounds wonderful!! :)
 
Hello my way,
Well sounds about back to normal, kicking himself in the head :rotfl: my husband usually kicks me in the
Head :hissy: it hurts. We call it the "Jimmie legs"you sound like you are doing so well :) do you actually have
The beach right near your deck. That must be so calming to you...pretty soon you'll be walking along it :SUNsmile:
I wish you a peaceful relaxing weekend :ok:
Diana :friends:
 
Hi new knee in June There is a street between me and the deck but it's oh so close and yet so far away. I did watch the sailboats today but alas no whales. :sigh: Sometimes I see them from here but usually they are farther out the harbour. A few years ago there was a huge basking shark I could see from my living room window! How are things with you today?
Poor Himself! he's been doing so much and I kick him in the head.Nnow there have been times in the past when I felt like doing that.:rotfl:
 
Hi Wanda - yes it took a while for me to get leg lifting back which made life very difficult.

Glad you are managing to get out and about and see your beach
 
Hi Puffin, It is nice to get out to see the beach but how long before this will make me impatient to go on said beach!:snork: Ah well the knees will say no to that idea for a while. As to the leg lifting, the left is still lazy. It will lift some but I'll need help getting into bed for a while yet.
So how is the shin pain? It must be awful. I can't imagine having to deal with that along with the usual pain of TKR!
Wanda
 
My way, I remember wondering when I would be able to lift up my legs by myself. It came slowly, but thats a long forgotten gain. Once the gains start they come in loads. As the weeks pass, the larger gains take a bit longer, but I suppose all will come with time!

New knee in June...so funny..my husband calls it the the Jimmie legs too! I never heard that expression until I met him.
 
Good morning my way,
How are you doing? Even if you can't walk on the beach yet....you still can see it, smell it & hear it. :)
That must be very soothing for you.
Did you hear Grammy spoke with Debbie ( scared in ca.)? She is in re-hab & having a hard time with her
Pain meds :gaah: I"ll say a little :angel: for her...hoping she will be fine.
Thinking of you always :friends:
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
It took me almost 5 weeks before I could get into bed unassisted

Being able to hear and smell the sea sounds fantastic - must be helping your recovery
:friends:
 
sounds like things are going well for you, my way.
 
Although I am still able to get in and out of bed myself I have sort of lost my ability to do the PT type straight leg lifts on the bed whereas last week I could do 2 sets of 5. I think it is the swelling in the kneecap/knee as a terrible stabbing pain shoots through the knee each time I try and get it off the ground. I've decided to not to try for a couple of days and let the swelling go down
 
Hi all, Well it's been a fairly good day all things considered. new knee in June I understand your feelings on hot humid weather! Very, very hot and humid. No way to get comfortable. I am getting into a normal routine and today I was able to stay up for longer periods of time. I've increased my exercising slightly and there is still no swelling.:happydance: puffin and Lmarshall My left leg is responding well. It has a way to go but it's getting there. My knees don't feel too bad! Most of the pain is still in my thighs, behind each knee and on the inner part of each knee. I do get the occasional sharp stab in my knees but, that's part of the game I suppose :sigh: Time ! I do think the pain is decreasing daily and the percocet is handling it.
The little nasties come out tomorrow!:SUNsmile: I'm sure that will be a big step toward comfort.
I do have a question...Josephine or anyone ...Has anyone else found icing irritating? I don't mean in the sense of irritating my skin. I mean the feeling of it annoys me to the point of distraction. I do put it in a towel and it's not too cold. I just don't like it! maybe I'm just wierd.:)
Wanda
 
Hello my way,
This heat is :yikes: all week too. Are you having someone come to your house to take out " little nasties"
Or are you going to doctors office? I find icing very comforting & works great for pain control :yes:
I suppose some folks are super sensitive....possibly has something to do with nerve endings.
Hopeful Josephine will answer your question.....
Take care :friends:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hi new knee in June. The heat is murder on the nerves as well as the body! Even my fingers feel tight. I don't have to go to my Dr. to get wee nasties out. The health care system here is public and hospitals, PT, and home care services are operated by one board. It sounds confusing but it works great and best of all it's all free! :) I had my surgery at a large teaching hospital 100 km from here but one of the local home care nurses was assigned to me. She is same one who visited me after my discharge. She will come here to remove my staples but I was hoping to go to her office for a little road trip. :) If I do decide to have PT later the local hospital was sent all my info the day I was discharged. They haven't called yet as they want your surgery to heal. :)
I'll get a call within the next two weeks and I will go for one visit and then take it from there.
How are things? Are you taking the lads on your trip? :snork:
 
Getting the staples out is a good feeling :thumb: - reduces the pulling and pinching on the scar. Although actually having them removed with the surgical staple-remover also involves quite a bit of pulling and pinching. I had well over 30 in my 6 inch scar

When it comes to the icing - when my knee is very inflamed I find that the first 15-20 minutes with the ice can be irritating - I get a burning/gnawing pain which gradually subsides. When my scar was painful I also found it comfortable to not place the ice-packs directly on the scar but to place them above, below or at the side

I'm sure you will feel a lot better to be staple free :happydance:
 
Hi' puffin the little nasties are gone! :happydance: The nurse was a little concerned that there was some redness on my left incision but, I told her it felt like irritation from the staples. It was obvious that two different people did the closing. The right had less staples and there was no "bunching" of the skin. The left different story. By the time she put on the steri strips it seemed that the redness was less. She agreed with me so let's hope there is no problem.
That was my first big excursion since my trip home from hospital. It was great to get out but I'm off to rest the poor pegs for a while.
Wanda
 
Has anyone else found icing irritating? I don't mean in the sense of irritating my skin. I mean the feeling of it annoys me to the point of distraction. I do put it in a towel and it's not too cold. I just don't like it! maybe I'm just weird
Question is, does it do you any good? Sounds like it doesn't in which case it's quite simple ... why use it?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom