Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Oh M'Achin' Hamstrings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good one puffin Anyone that knows me well may say ,"It's about time!" :rotfl: I'm happy to say something is working as it's less bothersome today. I hope as my gait improves this too shall pass. :beg:I feel it really is hindering my progress in my left knee.
Wanda
 
Yes gait problems are hindering my recovery as well :yes:

One problem that i am experiencing is that my lower back and hip muscles are very painful when I walk even short distances. I am guessing that they adapted to my lopsided limp since 2010 and I am now forcing them to stretch and straighten. :dancy: Have you had anything similar?
 
Good morning my way,
Tell "himself" thanks for coming over with his rolling pin :rotfl: I asked p.t about it band she told me an exercise to
Do. I am just tight on outside of my knee, not the length of my leg. So, I don't think that's my problem.
I have my last p.t tomorrow :happydance: they want me to add more, I am already where my os said to go 4-6 weeks.
I can do my therapy by myself & my everyday life &working will help. So, I am done :dancy:
I hope you are doing well & getting better every day,
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
Dear Diana - my sunbeam star :SUNsmile:
wow you have made such a great recovery to be at the end of PT :spin: :happydance:
I still have months ahead of me
But I am sure that just being back at work will be great PT
 
Hi All, well it's seven weeks today and I'm celebrating a few firsts! I went to the mall today and rather than just do the needed chores, I poked into a couple of stores and browsed for a short while. It's also my first night alone as Himself has gone on an over night camping trip. (At least that's what he told me, maybe he's gone to visit new knee in June again!) :rotfl:
I went to my Pt checkup yesterday and she said I was doing well and didn't have to come back unless I had a concern. She is pleased with my hard work. :rotfl: My left knee still lags behind my right one but, it is improving slowly but surely. The IT band is relaxing so I hope to see faster results. puffin I do have sore muscles. Hips, thighs, calves and everything in between. The only place that isn't sore is my knees!!! They do get tight and stiff but not much pain.:) Sleeping is somewhat better. I'm still up once or twice during the night to get the stiffness out. My muscle strength and stamina is not where it needs to be but this will come in time. It's amazing how much this surgery saps you! As I'm starting to really trust my knees I 'm doing more and more. I feel like a child just learning to walk and get excited when I do something for the first time. I CAN walk up the stairs in a normal fashion! Down...... not so good. :sigh:
I realized just this afternoon that I'm taking less pain medication now than I was pre op! I only need to take Tramacet a couple of times a day. No more Percocet! I guess that's why I am starting to eat a little more. I got on the scales last week and was shocked to see I'd lost 25 pounds from my pre op app. :yikes: I'm not skinny by any means but hey that's a bit too much, too fast.
There's still a long way to go but, I'm happy with my decision to get my new knees!!!:SUNsmile:
Wanda
 
:yay: glad that you are making so much progress. I know exactly what you mean about "trusting the knee" as this has been a major thing for me to know that it would take being stood on rather than worrying about dislocation all of the time

:happydance: So fantastic that even at this early stage you are happy with your decision
 
Hello my way,
What a great report :happydance: I am so happy for you !! I don't even walk around store's yet, never mind the mall :thud:
Our muscles, ligaments, tendons do get sore once we start using them again :shocked: I never even thought about it.
Do I possibly see a walk on the beach soon :wink: ( I'm not rushing you )
When did you say himself was leaving ? :wink:
You have made my day,
Diana....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: ....one milestone at a time......
 
Coming along nicely I too can go upstairs. But down. Not so much. Why is that? I think my leg would do it but not sure if its fear or good judgment
 
Hi My knee Charlie It may be a bit of both. My leg seems to freeze on the top step if I think I may try going down. :yikes: My guess is we aren't ready and our knees have more sense than we do.
Wanda
 
I always find that taking that first step down is the worst - yet once you get going it is OK. Not sure why - probably that the messages being sent from brain to nerves and muscles are not being fully received while surgery damage is healing

However I have found that stairs have got much easier since I was around 8-9 weeks :thumb:
 
Well I'm still doing stairs like a baby as I don't have enough bend to hike the leg up onto the stair :yikes: As for my gait, a lop sided "weeble" is probably the right term - and yes, I get the hip pain and lower back pain too. BUT .... after my MUA .... well who knows, the new me may be joining you all on these milestones :)

Wanda, just caught up with your adventures and you seem to be doing really well - going round the mall and not needing any more PT. Well Done :yay:
 
Hi puffin It's trying that first step! :yikes: I don't think I'm ready. I keep seeing a crumpled heap at the bottom and the only thing that ain't broke is my knees. :rotfl:
HorseyLady I feel I am doing well but I have a long way to go. I only did a small section of the mall but it was good to just go into a couple of stores and check out the sale racks. Himself dropped me off and picked me up at the entrance. I haven't gone through the entire mall for two years as my knees were too bad. I'm looking forward to the day I can shop!
Wanda
 
As for my gait, a lop sided "weeble" is probably the right term
Well you know what they say about weebles: "weebles wobble but they don't fall down!":heehee: Yep that advertiser from years ago was effective and got that jingle stuck in my brain.

Getting a good gait is a process, isn't it?
Doing steps down took me quite a while. Lots of hanging on the railing at first.
 
Oh no! kneeper Now it's in my head too! :rotfl: It is so hard to get a good gait. I find myself reverting to the waddle from time to time. It seems worse in the evening or if I'm tired.
I'm going to give it a bit more time before trying going down stairs in a normal way. I have gone down one step at a time for so long before my op and now with two new knees..........I'm chicken.:sigh: It'll come in time.
 
Hi Wanda...you keep me motivated. Here I had one knee done the same day as you had two, and I find myself comparing my progress to you.. I know I've been gone a little, and I've had a bit of a setback. I had switched to nsaids, but I think I was taking too many, and too many types. A week and a half ago, my gums got real swollen, and my tongue and roof of my mouth started to get blisters and ulcers. I looked it up and it was a sign of too many nsaids, so I quit the naproxen. The aching pain came back and caused me to go back up on the Percocet. Just a few each 24 hr period. It still aches, and life has also prevented me from icing and elevating more than once, or twice, each day. My PT regime is out the window, and I'm paying for it in the quads. I will likely go back to PT, but am waiting for my doc visit assessment in a week. I'm ready to be over this...you?
 
Well hi there 50yrold, good to hear from you! How are the courses coming along? I'm humbled to see I keep you motivated! I really don't deserve it as I haven't really done much to aid my recovery. I just did simple stretching and bending along with many hours resting in the sun for the first few weeks. Please don't compare recoveries as we are all different.
My quads are still not as strong as I would like but I think with our lives becoming more active this will take care of itself. I do use the exercise bike a few times during the day and I am walking more. I still have my times of pain and I am still stiff but, it is starting to lessen much faster now and I can finally sleep better. I seem to have more stamina now but sometimes I tire very quickly. My left knee is slowly catching up with the stronger right one.
NSAIDS are nasty if you're not careful. I haven"t been able to take advil, motrin, asprin ect. for years. It's easy to take too many when you are sore and need to be busy. I take tramacet (Tramadol with acet ) a few times a day and Arthrotec ( anti inflamitory with something to prevent gastric problems ) twice a day. This works well for me. Maybe you could check with your Dr.
Oh yes I am more than ready for this to be over but we are only 7 weeks and a bit in! If you are like me ( and I suspect you are ) we want to be able to go like 18 year olds. :snork:
Take care and take it easy
Please keep in touch
Wanda
 
I have been doing the crablike sideways shuffle since my accident in 2010 - but this week I decided to "go for it" and walk down forwards. It was a bit scary as we do not have a rail both sides - but to my amazement it worked :happydance: (but the first step is still the worst!!).

My quads are still very week after almost 3 years of not walking properly and the adhesion is restricting my efforts as well - however I am feeling positive that I will make progress with the Aqua training

Have a great weekend and I'll catch up with you next week
 
Hello my way,
How are you ? Good I hope :) well, it looks like our little puffin is spreading her wings & enjoying life :happydance:
I'm sure she will do just fine. I can't wait to hear her many stories.
How are your knees feeling ? I wouldn't worry so much about stairs, if you freeze at the top, there's a reason &
You should listen to your " little voice " :heehee: it knows best.
I could go down right away, but up was a problem (I used my arms to pull myself up) it gets better, so I don't
Let it bother me.
Thinking of you always,
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
Hi all, I think I want to change the title of my thread to I Love MY OS !!!! :happydance:I had my 8 week check up today and he is very pleased even though I walked in with my cane as the orthopedic clinic seems like miles away from the hospital entrance. Then add the the long mile to get X ray before seeing OS.(Why do they do that when most people that go there have limited mobility?) Tim Horton's is right inside the doors! Coffee is more important I suppose. :rotfl:
Anyway, Josephine (Just to let you know) there are surgeons out there who are Bone Smart and I have one! Iv'e been seeing this man for three years and today was the first time I didn't feel rushed. He took the time to answer all of my questions and give my confidence a boost. He seems to follow the mantra to the letter.
The examination was very gentle. He didn't measure my ROM, just eyeballed it and said my flexion was great for 8 weeks and extension was perfect. I did have some concerns about my left knee still lagging and being tighter than the right but he told me scar tissue may form and break for some time yet. I'm not to worry unless I stop making slow, steady progress as ROM will continue to improve for months. All the zings, jabs, painful ligaments ect. are normal. When I told him I freeze when trying to go down stairs in a normal way I was told it was very early days in my recovery. I can increase my activity at the pace my knees allow and continue with the stretching, bending and bike. Elevate and ice after and try heat before.
My IT band is still giving me grief so he gave me a cortisone shot in the hip bursa but, said he couldn't give it closer to my knee even though it's so tight. It may help. If not I guess it's back to the rolling pin and deep pressure.:sigh:
One thing that shocked me was when I asked when I could return to work he said 3 months! :shocked:It's not a problem, but don't think I need that much time off. I'll be stir crazy! He gave me three notes with a return date for the end of each of the next three months and I can use which ever one when I feel I can go back.
I don't need see him again till November unless i think there is a problem.
Elevating and trying to ice as I type after the marathon hike through the hospital and an hour drive each way to get there. Not to mention the waiting...
So happy with my OS
Wanda
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom