Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Oh M'Achin' Hamstrings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
I was wondering if anyone working to improve their gait has tried urban walking poles... there are many brands, some specific for the post- op purpose. I used them after my hip replacment instead of a cane and liked them so much I am going to buy a pair for when I'm a bit less wobbly post BTKR. The problem with the walker is that you'll always be a little bit hunched over and have to push the thing. The problem with the cane is that you'll always be lopsided and if you use two canes, your wrists will always be in flexion position.
My physiotherapist told me they will be great for improving my gait, while maintaining an upright natural posture and stability as my knees heal....i love em...just a thought...
 
[Bonesmart.org] Oh M'Achin' Hamstrings
And a really great thought it is, too, Jesse for the Fight. Wish I had known about these three years ago when my surgeries started. But I'm sure other members may find these just the ticket. Thanks for sharing this with us.
 
They're good post surgery too as they work your arms and abs while walking, increase speed and stability as well as taking impact off of your joint replacment. More muscles worked+ more calories burned = good idea... The only issued I'm having is that I feel like a bit of a dork using poles without skis or rollerblades, but I'm getting over it.
 
Sounds great, You can working on several parts of body at same time. Got to check it out.
 
Wanda
So happy that your spongey knee has gone down and you pain is less :happydance:
 
Thanks for the info on the walking sticks. I went to amazon and ordered some. I think it will be a blessing to help me start walking again. Guess I will be a dork too!
 
Nordic walking has been common here in Sweden for 20-25 years. The Swedish cross country ski team have used it for years as part of their training as compared with jogging it increases the effectiveness of the workout to include the upperbody and it reduces injuries as the weight is disipated to reduce the stress on ankles, hips and knees.

It is important to get the correct length of poles for your height and learn the correct technique (there are plenty of videos on youtube). You can also get poles that fold up into a rucksack - when I was a student around 10 years ago I had a set that folded into my school rucksack

Hope you get on OK - I am looking forward to getting my poles out again soon
 
Hello my way,
How are you feeling ? Good I hope :) have you looked into these walking sticks that Jesse mentioned.
They seem like they would be very helpful for folks like us :egypdance: let me know what you think & I might
Get a pair.
Same old here...one day very tight & stiff :hissy: next day feel like a million bucks :happydance:
I'm back to work August 19 I only work 7-11 pm (sun-thurs) by myself.
I can't wait to be alone....with no one else around :yes!:
No cooking, no laundry,no pets, no hubby,no kids...just pure silence.....heaven
Take care,
Diana....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: ....basking in silence....
 
Hi all, My knees have their 6 week birthday today! :happydance:After 2 setbacks in two weeks ( I threw my back but was ashamed to say after the "Flick" the week before) things are starting to come together. I'm sleeping much better and the pain has decreased even more. Himself told me my gait was almost normal at the supermarket this morning. I was using the cart as a support but, I walked up and down each aisle and focused on heel,ball, toe. I found this was the most comfortable time shopping since my surgery. My right knee is still the stronger one and it is much looser than the left. I think the left one would be better but the IT band refuses to relax. :gaah:Time and patience, time and patience.
I had my first major outing on Sunday! My sister in law had a surprise birthday party for my 92 year old mother in law. We had a half hour drive to get there and I was able to stay for 3 hours! I was glad to get back home and put the puppy's up though. It was nice to get out and socialize but, I didn't want to do it again the next day. :doh:

After the incident with my back, I used Percocet for pain for a few days. It wasn't pretty! I found I was weepy, depressed and very short on patience. I also noticed I would get very agitated as they wore off. This didn't happen when I had them for pain early in my recovery. Strange..... Thankfully, I'm fine now with Tramocet a couple of times a day.
My scars are still a touchy but this too shall pass. The numb are seems to be getting smaller and my stamina is increasing. I can walk a little longer before the tightness grabs but I still like to have my cane for security as I feel a bit unsteady without it.
Ah well it's another warm sunny day so, I'm off to find a shady spot and recline in the yard...:martini:
Wanda
 
Great that you are getting out and about and made it to the party :egypdance:

I think the scars may be sensitive for a while - mine still hurt at 10 weeks especially when I have spongey knee or ODIC problems

But you seem to be making real progress :thumb:
 
Two thumbs up Wanda! Slow and steady wins the race. Reading your post I'm feeling thankful that myself and so many others are given a second chance at an active life thanks to orthopaedics!
 
Way to go Wanda! It just keeps getting better slowly! I am at 8 weeks and feeling pretty good. Still stiff after sitting for a while, but that is my only complaint.
 
Thank's Limpynomore I'm starting to feel that I've turned another corner and I hope the surgery pain will be gone completely. I'm looking forward to reaching 8 weeks. It seems like I look ahead by 2 week segments.
Wanda
 
Good morning my way,
My you've been a busy little bee :) happy birthday to your knees :egypdance: congratulations
On your first outing, doesn't it feel great to be out in the real world :happydance: I'm
Sorry about your back, I hope it is feeling better ( we certainly don't need that pain) :gaah:
Thinking of you always,
Have a great day :SUNsmile: ,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
:yay: It is great when you feel that you have turned a little corner in the recovery process
 
Good morning my way,
I am going to have a " my way" day :) grocery shopping & then relax in the backyard. The weather is simply
Marvelous ( 80 degrees, no humidity, 50's at night) I might exercises, I might not, I might go for a walk,
I might not :egypdance: I do like your " mantra" & will give it a try.
I have 2 more therapies ( for stairs & gait) when I am tired I don't bend my knee & just bring it out & around :hissy:
I can go down stairs, but not up :tantrum: I mostly cheat, the other day in the car I lifted my leg with my hands.
I am only hurting myself by not doing things the correct way. But, I do get lazy sometimes :sigh:
I go back to work Monday night :happydance: :dancy: 4 hrs. Sunday -thurs 7-11 pm, only 20 hrs a week.
I have the perfect job to go back to after a knee replacement.
Have a great day,
Thinking of you always :friends:
Diana....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: ....relaxing in the :SUNsmile:
 
Good morning my way,
I have a question for you :sos: is this I.t band on the outside of the knee ? I think I could also have this
Problem. I read in the library that stretching , acupuncture, massage can help.
Can I borrow himself & the rolling pin ? :rotfl:
I have p.t Tuesday & will ask them....thank you for your expertise.....
Tashia posted on Toni's thread that she is having stomach problems & will be going to the doctors.
Have a great weekend,
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
Good morning new knee in June The IT Band is on the outside of the knee and it runs to the hip. It can cause a lot of grief. I think there is an article somewhere on this site. Mine is starting to settle but, as I've been massaging, rolling and stretching I'm not sure which is helping. Himself will be down around lunch time, rolling pin primed and ready. :rotfl:
got to go for now
Wanda
 
ha ha ha - what would people say if they knew your husband was giving you a going over with the rolling pin :blush:
:rotfl:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom