Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Oh M'Achin' Hamstrings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning muddy paws No No No!!!! You no walk to the barn yet!!! I was over 8 weeks before I attempted the beloved beach!! I sat on my deck each day looking at it and dreaming. So near and yet so far.....:sigh:
I hope you are taking it easy and have a gentle PT. Heal first, strengthen later!!!!
I'm happy and humbled to see that you like my thread and that I inspire you. My intention is to show everyone that slow and steady works. Listen to your body. It knows what it needs.
I'll be keeping up with your recovery.:SUNsmile:
Wanda
 
Hi Wanda - How are those hamstrings doing today? :dancy: Has the pain eased?
 
Hi puffin yeah they are somewhat better and the weather is clearing so I may give them a little stretch again today. Somehow it seems easier to exercise outside in the sun. The walk will be shorter today. I'm not going to increase it till there is less discomfort but those muscles are in serious need of attention!
How were the after effects of your harvesting expedition? Not too severe I hope.
Wanda
 
Hello My Way! I wanted to say happy third month anniversary to you my bilateral buddy! It had been a journey hasn't it? Looks like we are both on our way.... the journey continues! Take care, God Bless! Joan:friends:
 
Hi Wanda,
I am actively planning my escape from the house to the barn. It's only 100 feet away! I thinking the lawn tractor is my best choice since I can run it by using my cane. Ugh! Can you tell I'm out of my mind?!! I just can't stand all this lounging around :hairpulling:

I do find the sun makes doing everything much easier. I am going out on my back porch to just be outside. Of course when I do this my poor pups are going to be wild with anticipation. They are dying for me to play with them. They have been so good but like me, they're bored.

puffin. You are doing awesome girl! I can't believe you went to Ireland and you are out and about after all you have gone thru. :cheers:

I do see my OS tomorrow and am going to tell him that my knee was killing me after my in home PT workout yesterday and I was much better BEFORE she came! I spent all afternoon taking loads of pain meds and icing everything from ankle to thigh. Not happy with the pain at all! l wonder if i ask him if i can stop Pt for a bit how he is going to respond to that. My Pt person wants to come three days a week but I'm thinking once or twice is MORE than enough at this time.

Yes, Wanda, Puffin, Diana, and all the other fabulous people on this site inspire me and keep me a bit saner as I go thru this journey

Thank you all

JEN


RTKR. 8/26/2013
MCL/ meniscus repair 3/12/2013
 
Well muddy paws If you feel you have to go (and I can fully understand) and it's only 100 feet away you may be safer walking with your walker than trying to drive the tractor! Remember you have to get on and off that contraption.:shocked: Please have someone with you and have a place to sit.
go slow

Wanda
 
Its funny how we post ops go from complaining about knee pain, to complaining about muscle and ligament pain! :groan: The positive part is, this too shall pass, unlike our prior knee pain that only got worse with time. Still, it is a daily battle that I, and Im sure so many are faced with. Hoping you are feeling a bit better today!
 
Hi Lmarshall I guess the complaining about muscle and ligament pain means were are really on the road to recovery! The added activity just seemed to happen. I was just saying to Himself it's amazing how much more I can do now than when I first came home. Somewhere along the way I've gotten back to doing most of the cooking and laundry. I don't have to wonder if a trip to the supermarket is a good idea. We just go! The shower transfer bench is gone as well as the pallets to help me make the first stair into the house.
I still get tired and go to bed early but the pain meds are mostly for aching muscles and ligaments. They are worse than the knees. :)
I dropped in at work today and had a reality check. We have moved to a new school and it is very large. One look down the hallway and I realized I'm not ready yet! :shocked: It may be a good thing my OS said 3 more months! He may be much wiser than I thought. :rotfl:
Did your return to work date straightened out?
take care
Wanda
 
I totally agree with the pain meds for muscle and ligament pain. Add back pain to that as well :sad: And yes, I have also started slowly doing more things, but have yet to drive anywhere. I did move the car once...does that count? :heehee: I don't cook any full meals but help with the prep. Hubby still does the laundry since its in the basement. I started help with light cleaning though. Shopping is great exercise!! Love going shopping with the girl friends!

I spoke to the chairperson at the College yesterday. My start date is official for 9/23. I have less than 3 weeks to get with the program! Kind of scary, but I will just have to do it! I WILL NOT pass up this job opportunity. Its a once in lifetime chance at a terrific, secure position working for the city....not to mention they have a GREAT retirement plan. After 10 years I will be able to retire and get an added pension. As much as I will miss working with the preschoolers (been doing it for 26 years), it will be easier on my knees to deal with adults only on a completely different level.
 
Oh, how I know about those achin' hamstrings. I think they are paying me back for not knowing their names. Before my TKR, I had no idea of what this or that was called, or what they did. Now, I bore everyone with words like quads and squats. I learned to take care of my hamstrings by not stretching them as far or as long as my PT advised. I could barely walk after that advice. I took it slow and easy. Then, one day, I noticed I could stretch a little farther and hold that stretch a little longer. Now, me and my hamstrings are friends instead of opponents.

Good luck with your new job! Yes, working with adults may be easier on your knees, but it might be hard on your head. Kids do have a way of making common sense. We, adults? Not always.
 
I think that the muscle and ligament pain is inevitable for many of us who had deformities, limps and generally strange gaits prior to surgery. The muscles had adapted to that way of walking over the months and years and they are now complaining loudly that we want to walk upright with straight knees :heehee:
 
Dearest my way,
Look what happens when I leave for a few days.....your walking on the beach :) ...puffin picking apples in an
Orchard....Alison has taken her life into her hands, by hoisting herself onto a horse... I am so proud of my little
" sunbeams " taking on new challenges :happydance:
I wanted to ask if your p.t does massages ? I really think it would help with the tight muscles & it band issues.
Could you give them a call ? I think himself needs a break :rotfl: & I think it will help you.
I got discharged from my os today....don't have to see him until next june :yahoo:
Thinking of you always,
Diana...June sunbeams :SUNsmile: ...slow & easy.....
 
Just wondered how you are getting on Wanda? Have the hamstrings calmed down a little?
:kittykiss:
 
Wow, a lot of great stories and support here. Just checking in to relate to the muscle pains. I just got back from a "refresher" PT session 3 wks after they released me (although I missed my last session due to work). I also had a 2nd 6 wk check on Friday, and am told the one residual pain beneath my kneecap upon extension under load is synovitis, and the pain/nerves should, hopefully, wear with time. It's already a little better this last week, since I wasn't working it in PT. I think the PT may have kept exacerbating it. More on my own thread, but wanted to check in with my July 2nd buddy, Wanda. Get those hammies loose! Buy a foam roller if you don't already have one. A few minutes of pain with one of those goes a long way afterward.
 
Hi puffin and 50yrold The hamstrings are doing well. I woke up this morning and aside from the usual stiffness it was the best day yet. We actually drove into the city and spent a few hours shopping. I rested between stores and only did 4. When we got to the 5th Himself went to the sports section and I started for the ladies and then saw the hair salon was empty. I decided my legs had had enough and got a my hair cut instead. Pure bliss. I'm doing a bit more each week but still tire easily. Most of the discomfort in my knees is also under my kneecaps and I still have the "velcro" sensation around the scar on the left knee.
All in all I'd say I feel good for ten weeks out. I have come to accept this recovery takes time, I don't like it but, alas that's the way it is. :sigh:
Wanda
 
Tomorrow will be 3 months for me, and I still get tired easily, but I do feel like its improving daily. Patience was never my strong point...but this surgery has really put me to the test!
 
Wow Wanda you are doing really well to manage a major shopping trip :yay: - it is not surprising that you get tired - the energy drain is very real and takes a long time and won't be hurried :thud:
 
Hello my way,
How have you been ? Good I hope :) kudos on the shopping trip, I hope you aren't in o.d.i.c because of it :no-fin:
I hear you are sleeping better, that has to be a relief. I like how your os gave you notes to return to work, when you
Want to :happydance: he really sounds wonderful.
When you were talking about your new school & looking down the long hallway, i :thud: I could actually feel
Your trepidations.
Have a peaceful, relaxing day,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hi My way - hope that there were no side effects of the big shopping trip - I don't want you in the ODIC

I agree fully with what you said about the weather. This morning it was really autumn here at 2C/35F and thick fog. My knee and leg would no stop aching so it was resting and icing - then after lunch the sun came out, the fog vanished and the temperature rose to 22C/72F and I felt OK to go for a walk
 
Hi puffin I'm in the ODIC :headbang: I don't think it was the shopping trip so much as the walk the next day! :yikes: I pushed the envelope a bit too far me think. So I sat myself down and and gave myself a good talking to and I'm taking the good advice I gave myself. Resting and doing very little yesterday and today.
On the other hand It is wet and humid here so the rest doesn't seem to be doing much good. The knees are fine just the expected aches and stiffness, but my back and thigh are sore. :sigh:
better days ahead
wanda
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom