October Feisties - Are You Having Surgery In October 2011?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone!! My Right ATHR is set for October 17th, followed by the Left ATHR on Halloween!! I get a smile on my face thinking about the other side of all this, and getting back to a normal life with out a cane or walker. It's been 10 years since I've known this was needed, but I dragged my feet for way too long to do something about it. Finally going to go from being Captain Can't to being Captain Can!!
 
Neshym - that range of emotions, well I am glad it isn't just me. The swings between excitement , terror at what they plan to do (my kids have become very graphic) and fear of another cancellation is all so exhausting. The other side feels so far away but hopefully it isn't.
Hope all went well NY girl and Chef, hope we hear from you soon.
Thoughts are with you Michelle and Redbedhead.
Smja - will you be able to re schedule or is it up in the air at the moment.?
 
Hi gizmo

I second all the good wishes for our Oct friends with you - good luck one and all.

I saw my GP today am doing a 24 hour urine collection, should get results on Friday. Have a referral to see a Nephrologist, hopefully the wait for that is not too long.

So for now surgery is off and I am back to square one.

I plan to be as positive and strong as I can be and take this opportunity to get a couple of second opinions. GP said even if it is kidney disease, it will not atop me from having the surgery. The latest I would contemplate it would be Feb 2012 or end of Feb 2012 as it gets too cold!

So fingers crossed
 
Boy, that's quite a group we have going for October!!! Lots of fiesties makin' that trek to a better life! Good luck to you all and we'll be waiting for those recovery threads to pop up.
 
Smja,
Really sorry to hear your news. It is really positive that it is likely to be just a postponement, but it cant be easy for you. You do sound like a strong person and being pro active always helps. My operation was cancelled in July, its not been the easiest of months but there have been good times and the times has passed. Here hoping for a spring time recouperation for you.
 
Thanks gizmo

Good luck for the 20th,you will be in my thoughts :thumb:
 
Hi Jamie, I was invited to the hospital for a 2hr education presentation given by: the ward nurse who will take care of us, the pain nurse, the anaesthetist, occupation therapist and physio. We were given some booklets with lots of information and told what will happen on each day, they explained anaesthetic options, excercises to do before and after, pain relief available and 4 pages of tick-off sheets for us to mark as the things happen - hourly obs, 2 hrly obs, physio visit etc. They have certainly prepared us well, even told us to have a good meal the night before eg pasta, in fact everything except the actual surgery procedure, but that's okay, because the athroplasty practicioner gave me her contact no and will answer any questions I have about that. Not had time today to call as had grandchildren here. I'l update you when i've spoken to her. I am quite impressed as I certainly didn't get this when I had my spinal surgery at another hospital. Just hope they are as good on the actual event!
 
That sound very sportive and informative I am sure everything will go as planned. Best of luck
 
Sorry you had to have surgery cancelled. Weird thing is, i got a call from hospital toxicologist today they detected a urine infection at my pre-op, so i'm on anti-biotics now. Yep it is good to be informed, they even had us measure our bed, toilet and armchair from floor to top of seat and then measure our leg from floor to back of knee so that they can assess if we need any equipment. They will supply bath board, raised toilet seat etc. They have told us what equipment we should buy long handled grabber, shoe horn etc. They seem to have thought of everything.
i hope everything goes well for you, lets hope you don't have to wait too long . :console:
 
Hi Nannyles

Sorry to hear about your urine infection, not a good time, but they have got onto it straight away and you still have time with the antibiotic treatment. I wish you well, don't fret it will work out I am sure.
 
Nan, don't forget a leg lifter. I would have been lost without mine.

 
Hi everyone

Yes Jo the leg lifter looks like a brill idea i found quite a lot of stuff on the Red Cross charity shop online and some things were quite cheap. I was wondering how i would get my leg back into bed if i needed the toilet at night without waking up the troops!

I've had a lot of goodies e.g. toilet seat, chair, etc already delivered to my house, the hospital has been great i'm actually looking forward to putting my feet up and getting through the pile of books i never have enough time to read! roll on the 25th!
 
Hi Everyone,

My date is Oct. 14 for my left hip. Then Feb. 14 for right knee. So glad I found this site, so much information and support everyone has for each other.
 
Hi John, only 1 week left. Wish you all the best with your surgery! We will mark Valentine's Day for your knee:thumb:.
 
Ah John - you made it in then! Welcome, welcome .....
 
Hello October Feisties -

Hello to you all...I would like to join you...
I am having a LTHR (ceramic on ceramic) next Tuesday 11th October so am feeling a little apprehensive! Am probably too prepared if that is possible (low impact exercises at the gym and pilates) and will have to slow down and allow myself to rest to enable the healing process....deep breath!....

Ali
 
Hi, AliPali....welcome to BoneSmart!!! You have come to the right place for support as you head into your surgery. Why don't you start a thread of your own in the pre-op forum and tell us a bit more about yourself. That would be an excellent place to post any questions or concerns that you may have also.
 
Welcome Ali! Another Brit :yay:. Yes - deep breath - you'll be fine. Please do start your own thread and let us know where you are having your surgery.
 
All the best to all the week 2 October Feisties.

I hope you all start a thread in the recovery area so we can follow your progress.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom