Guest viewing is limited

October Feisties - Are You Having Surgery In October 2011?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Michelle, I do hope you can get on top of your UTI...... lots of fluids, I am sure you know the drill ((( hugs )))

Hi Jessica not long now and we will be free of bone on bone pain,
Big (((hugs ))) for you too :thumb:
 
Hi - me too I'm October. October 20th. I'm like Jess and have had a cancellation previously so tend to always add hopefully on to my date if anyone asks. I wont believe it's for real until I'm being trundled into the operating theatre. I guess at that point it becomes a little too real. As like everyone else I feel a mixture of emotions ranging from hope and excitement to terror. I've never had an op before. The post op postings are really helpful as mostly it seems not as scary once you've been there and it seems to be such an amazing opperation. If we lived 100 years ago we'd be stuck with coping with the chronic pain for the rest of our lives. I guess we are so lucky to live now when the surgeons can offer hope.:yay:
 
Well, if what happened to me 9 years ago actually happened 100 years ago I probably wouldn't still be here. Yay for modern medicine! And yay for books, because reading is my favorite. Anyone have a few suggestions? I'm doing a "fall/winter challenge" for a group on goodreads.com - good way to keep myself pre occupied eh? :dancy:

Also, what is the one thing my fellow feisties want to do first after regaining full hip usage? I think the first thing I want to do is...hm broken link removed: https://jhip.blogspot.com/p/robo-hip-bucket-list.html probably tie my own shoe/put on my own sock. Yeah. That or..walk in space? haha
 
Hi Jessica, love your hip bucket list. Must start mine, thanks for the inspiration :wink1:
 
hi everyone

Just got my letter to confirm my op date, after the surgeon's secretary telling me it's the 14th Octo and the pre-op nurse confirming its the 14th and getting myself ready emotionally and arranging cover for work from the 14th the letter says.... 25th october!! so yep more waiting! hate the waiting!!
 
Neshym, I'm so sorry that it was postponed. Before my first op was cancelled they moved my date as well (it was only one day, but still moving is just rude). I'm sad that you aren't on the 14th as well. I was looking forward to being hip twins with you. Plus side, you get your hip a day before my birthday? It's like every October feisty is getting a new hip(s) for my birthday! Hooray!

If you need to vent about the postponement, I'm definitely here to listen. I know how it feels.

Smja, I'm glad that my list inspired you! That's why I'm keeping a blog to help other hippies (and keep people informed on my progress). I hope one day my blog can help another person my age who is getting a replacement. There aren't many people in their 20's getting a new hip. I've met 3 over the internet. One in South Dakota, one in Canada, and one in the UK. Let me know what you put on your list!!
 
Updated List:

1. ChefHuber 4 Oct 11
2. Michelle44 5 Oct 11
3. Okie408 11 Oct 11
4. JSNail89 14 Oct 11
5. smja 19 Oct 11
6. Gizmo 20 Oct 11
7. DaveGM 21 Oct 11
8. Neshym 25 Oct 11
9. Aileen 28 Oct 11
10. Pauline 31 Oct 11

I think this is correct. Thanks to Smja for the original list and making it easy to keep track!! :dancy:
 
Hi Jessica

Thanks for updating my list, it will be so useful for all of October Feisties to follow each others progress.

Incidentally, I have a family member who had first hip replacement at 26 and the other at 27 that is approx 18 years ago and he is doing fine, although he has psoratic arthritis,so has other issues now. But he still has a good quality of life :thumb:
 
Good luck and best wishes to everyone else on the list.

Four weeks today at this time I'll be setting of for the 20 minute drive to the hospital.

Many of you will already be on the road to recovery
Me too. 26th October is my date. Wouldn't you know it, my hip is not playing up so much at the moment! Hope i'm doing the right thing!:umm:
 
Sorry to hear about your extra wait Neshym. It is hard as you have to get yourself all psyched up as it's so much to take on board. I think this makes even a relatively short extra wait seem like much longer. Looking back though all this waiting time will eventually seem like a distant dream. Good luck Chefhubber and Michelle as you two seem to be getting the October group off our starting blocks. Not long now. Good idea having a wish list Jess. I'm looking forward to cycle rides with my kids and paddling in the sea. Maybe the social chat place would be a good location to swap book ideas. Maybe even a bit of a bit of a bookclub ?
 
Hi all,

I am so glad I found this forum. I have enjoyed reading everyone's stories and the supportive atmosphere. I am scheduled for right side hip replacement October 3, less than a week away and getting nervous. I know I am in good hands and am prepared as I can be I think but all the logic in the world doesn't seem to be calming the anxiety. I just keep trying to focus on the vacation I have planned on the other side of recovery.
 
NYC

Yes, it is getting exciting. You beat me by a day! I took the 3rd off to relax. I will be thinking about you. I hope it all goes well.
 
Hi, NYCgirl191.....welcome to BoneSmart! I'm glad the forum has helped you already. You know we are here for you with whatever guidance and support you may need.

Why don't you start a thread of your own in the pre-op forum and tell us a bit more about yourself. We love getting to know our members better!
 
Thank you for the welcome!

Chefhuber, good for you for taking the day before off to relax. My nerves won't let me relax but I will definitely be taking it easy this weekend. Looking forward to comparing notes with you on the other side of this. Best of luck.
 
And me... Mine is 26 October. Feeling apprehensive, but hopeful that will all go well and bring results I hope for. I am being put on an 'ERP - enhanced recovery programme' which says I will have minimal invasion surgery, and should be home in 3-5 days. I have to attend a two hour education presentation next Tuesday which will explain everything. Has anyone else in UK heard of the ERP?
 
It will be interesting to see what the differences are in that program and a regular hip replacement. Normally people are released to go home in that 3-5 days anyway. It's possible they are talking about using the Direct Anterior Approach, which many times does allow a person more early mobility.
 
I've just updated the list

1. NYCGirl 3 Oct 11
2. ChefHuber 4 Oct 11
3. Michelle44 5 Oct 11
4. Okie408 11 Oct 11
5. JSNail89 14 Oct 11
6. smja 19 Oct 11
7. Gizmo 20 Oct 11
8. DaveGM 21 Oct 11
9. Neshym 25 Oct 11
10.Nannyles 26 Oct 11
11. Aileen 28 Oct 11
12. Pauline 31 Oct 11

Twelve in one month seems to be a lot - is it a record?

October tomorrow so not long now for any of us.

Best wishes to everyone.
 
Thanks DaveGM for updating my list. As an auditor I love to have lists :th_heehee:

Good luck NYCGirl, ChefHuber and Michelle44 for next week, we will all be with you (virtually of course) watching over you in the theatre keeping you safe :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom