Guest viewing is limited

October Feisties - Are You Having Surgery In October 2011?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi October Feisties,

Good morning from oz. – Sat 17 Sept

I was checking out our dates and ChefHuber it appears as though you are going to be the first to be ‘on the other side’ without the bone on bone pain… just thought I would check in with you to see how you are doing?

And to let you know us October Feisties are here for you (and each other).

smja
 
Hi all October Feisties,
I'm new to this forum. I am scheduled for L THR 31st October. Partly in denial, though mostly want to get it over with and be pain free.

Good luck everyone


LTHR 31st October 2011
 
Hello Pauline, welcome to BoneSmart.

You are the official Halloween Hippie! :th_heehee: Not long now.

I hope you have the chance to read in the Library. Lots of great tips in there as well as some great recovery stories.

I look forward to hearing more from you!
 
Hi Pauline

Welcome to Bone Smart and the October Feisties. As Jacey said there is heaps of good helpful information and encouraging and supportive people actively participating on the forum. I am in Australia, in the ACT, are you happy to share which state you are in. I have been hoping to connect with someone from my time zone..

The denial is natural, I have also gone through many different emotions, reading the different threads has indicated to me that it is perfectly normal, you will be fine, just keep focussing on being pain free. We are all here for you :thumb: S
 
Hi Dave, I notice that you may be actively viewing this thread at the moment, how are you doing? S
 
Hi there October Feisties,

I want to share something my husband sat down and discussed with me this morning, when I said I am so nervous about the surgery and all the risks etc...

I hope that you may find this useful and interesting :yay:

My husband was in the military, an elite regiment for over a decade. He has experienced amazing activities. But this morning, he re-told the story of when he had to jump out of planes and leap off mountains. He said, the first time he had to undertake the above activities, he questioned himself - why am I doing this to myself! I particularly love the story of leaping off the mountain.... He had to talk to himself and say: my life is going to be dependent on a rope and pinions driven into rock... But then he thought, ropes have been used for centuries, and he had tied the rope on and checked and checked.... So then he took the leap of faith.....

For me it is so like how I am feeling, questioning, have I selected the right surgeon, have I selected the right hospital, is the joint decision between myself and my OS regarding my prosthesis the right one... Well I have done as much research as I can and now I have to put my faith in he fact that I have checked it all out and prepared myself as well as possible - SO I AM READY TO TAKE MY LEAP in just four weeks...

I hope this explains the nervousness and yet the excited feeling a few of us are experiencing. Hang in there everyone, pretty soon we will all be landing on the other-side. - pain free hopefully, ready for our next challenge, rehab and recovery :yay:

Sorry for the long post, but it certainly helped me today and I wanted to share it with you, in the hope that it may help you :friends:
 
smja, such a great analogy! Yes it is a leap of faith. Faith in your surgeon, faith you made the right decision and faith your body won't let you down.

But the results are worth that leap! Thanks for posting your experience. I am sure it will help others in that same decision mode.
 
Smja

Your husband is very perceptive - he hit the nail on the head. Thats exactly what it is - a leap of faith.

We put our wellbeing in the hands of the experts. They have trained for many years and have vast experience and yet we are still apprehensive.

I think many of us start to think of the "what if's" and because we are venturing into unchartered waters (for us) everything gets magnified in our minds.

When i had my first hip earlier this year I did get myself into quite a state beforehand. I had not found this site at that stage and to be honest trawling the internet just made matters worse.

The actual three days in hospital - the operation and initial recovery were far easier than I had feared.

I started to become frustrated at what I considered to be the lack of progress in the recovery at about three weeks post op. This is when I found Bonesmart.

The experts and all the good people who were going through the same thing soon put me right!

Moral of the storey is go with the leap of faith and go with the flow.

Regards

Dave
 
Hi Dave, my husband has many stories like this - very encouraging, he certainly is my tower of strength and to consider he had a heart attack and surgery almost to the day of your second, I am very blessed.

You mentioned your frustration around your progress, I can imagine one would think that way however, I am keeping a very open mind and don't have expectations except knowing that it will most likely take a couple of years to be where I was 8 years ago - yes, that is how long I have been in denial !!!

I won't have regrets though as I know I wasn't ready before. Now my leap of faith is well and truly on it's way :yes 4: thanks for your post and keep up your good work :dancy:
 
Hi jsnail89

isnt it strange we are thousands of miles apart yet we will be going through the same thing on the same day! I am sooo glad i found this site! Not long to go had a few jitters yesterday panicked as have not got anything ready but self more cool and calm today and ready to tackle things head on!
 
Hi, October 26th for my RTHR. Been on diet and lost 24lbs and trying to build up walking in preparation. Hopefully this op will be more successful than my back surgery two years ago, which left me in worse pain than before. Finger crossed...:scare:
 
I think you'll find your THR to be not at all like your back surgery. Congratulations on the weight loss!!!! Well done!
 
Hi, October 26th for my RTHR. Been on diet and lost 24lbs and trying to build up walking in preparation. Hopefully this op will be more successful than my back surgery two years ago, which left me in worse pain than before. Finger crossed...:scare:

1. Your hip replacement is on my birthday! Hooray!
2. Congrats on the 24lbs! I know how difficult it is (I've lost about 32 myself).
3. Your surgery will go swimmingly!
 
Hi October Feisties

I have been trying to keep track of everyones dates and it seems that ChefHuber is the first on 4 Oct. Hopefully, I have got everyone's dates right and haven't left anyone out..

I just thought it might be useful for all of us to track each other:

1. ChefHuber 4 Oct 11
2. Michelle44 5 Oct 11
3. Okie408 11 Oct 11
4. JSNail89 14 Oct 11
5. Neshym 14 Oct 11
6. smja 19 Oct 11
7. DaveGM 21 Oct 11
8. Aileen 28 Oct 11
9. Pauline 31 Oct 11

I so love the forum and chatting to people from all over the world going through the same issues, concerns and fears and yet a sense of excitement that we will be out of pain and have a new life.

I have been following various threads and everyone's stories, so hope that as we move closer to October, everyone is doing OK?

Big ((( hugs ))) to everyone :) smja
 
Good luck and best wishes to everyone else on the list.

Four weeks today at this time I'll be setting of for the 20 minute drive to the hospital.

Many of you will already be on the road to recovery
 
Hi everyone, i am now only 10 days before surgery and woke up this morning with a urine infection, i have had lots of these in the past so i know the signs and symptoms. I have to go to my local hospital this morning for tests and antibiotics,i am so fed up and hope this can be cleared up quickly. I hope this dosnt postpone my RTHR i really need to get this done now. I will post the outcome later.:sigh:. Michelle x
 
Hi me too I'm in October. Although like Jess, following an earlier cancellation I am at the "hopefully" stage and probably wont be totally beyond that until I'm on the opperating table. Like everyone I'm excited , nervous and fed up with pain and limitations. Never had an opperation before.I seem to alternate between calm and not calm. Well hello and best wishes to everyone.
 
Oh Michelle! I hope your UTI gets cleared up now! I know how much getting a postponement stinks. I hope it all goes well!!

Gizmo! Hooray for October surgeries! We will both hit that operating table this coming month.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom