October Feisties 2012 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In October?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dilbhadev, You and I have the same surgery day! I've already been using some items, since I can't bend very well, and wanted to practice. Amazon has a sock-aid that works amazingly well. It cost under $10. It has a slick inside and terry cloth outside, with straps. It depends on who you have around to help you dress. A "grabber" like easy-reach is also necessary. You use it to pull slacks on without bending beyond 90 degrees, or to pick up dropped items. I bought everything on Amazon, but I think both items should be in medical supplies stores.

I think it's really neat to be able to chat with people who are "walking" the same path at the same time - I'll be hoping that all goes well. And, since I am a prayer, Dobeck, you already got yours this morning!
 
I'm watching for you on the other side, Dobeck! You're in my thoughts today.

tryintosmile and dilbhadev....you're both in my thoughts too since you're coming up quickly. It'll be SO nice to be on the other side. I think the anticipation is worse than the actual surgery and recovery. OK, admittedly, the recovery from my TKRs was miserable, but it was ALL worth it in the end, and in retrospect, getting to the point of replacement was probably the worst of everything.

Soon we'll all be enjoying our new joints!

Weezy
 
Hey Weezy, I have been looking around here for you. How are you doing? Have you had to stop your pain meds yet? Not long now! :happydance:
 
Hey Jaycey...I've been trying to stay as busy and distracted as possible so haven't been online much. Yup, had to quit meds as of Saturday morning (Friday night was last dose) and I'm REALLY feeling it today. Of course the pain is getting worse the longer I'm off the anti-inflammatories and I had to walk around a lot this morning (had doctor appt. for annual physical).

Overall, doing as well as can be expected. Severely sleep deprived and tired of not sleeping, but getting by. Fortunately, I'm not working right now so being totally brain dead isn't as disruptive as it would usually be. I can knit without having to think, plus I had a simple quilt all cut out and ready to stitch, so I'm doing a little of that too.

8 days.....

Weezy
 
Gosh I really feel for you. Must be absolutely horrid with no meds! Guess it's a not too subtle reminder that your BTHR is the way to go. Keep busy and don't worry about the sleep right now. I don't think I had any sleep that last week before my op. You will catch up when it's done and dusted!
 
Hi Tryingtosmile( TTS) and Weezy,

I hope you are both well.
2 days and counting for TTS and I.
Its a lovely day in London and I would have loved to have played golf, but I am not risking it.
My wife and I went to see a movie last night as it might be a long time before I see another one , I wish we hadn't , we saw Looper with Bruce Willis and I was pretty loopy by the end of it, what a load of rubbish.

As you are all mainly in the US we will be like ships in the night.
Thanks for the info TTS and I will post again before the op but in case I can't I wish you all the very best on Thursday.
 
One of my past students posted on Facebook that he LOVED Looper, and I was disappointed in not being able to see it. So I'm glad to hear that someone closer to my age group didn't love it.

It's interesting to me that this site has people from the UK, because I've been involved with a Facebook group that started because we were all going on the same cruise last April. There were at least as many Brits as Americans in the group, and we wound up having an amazing time together on the cruise. We had a sprinkling of Canadians and Australians, as well. We are all still in touch, and plan a reunion cruise in 2014.

I guess on this site, we are more like ships passing, but it really can be surprising how people can connect via technology. Wishing you the best possible outcome on Thursday!
 
Op day tomorrow , 6pm.
See you on the other side of the OP, good luck.
 
Thanks! Best wishes to dilbehav as well. It's interesting that your surgery isn't until evening. In the US, surgeons like to get it done early in the day. Do you have to starve and thirst all day? :umm: I've kept busy, and today feel particularly peaceful... kinda weird!
 
Good luck to those of you getting your new hips tomorrow...I'll be looking for you on the other side!

You're in my thoughts and prayers, and I know you'll do great and wake up with happy new hips.

Weezy
 
Thanks for the well wishes - Support from all of you is so appreciated! I had an amazingly peaceful week - not my normal behavior! I am looking forward to waking up on the other side with a shiny new hip!
 
Thank you one and all for your kind wishes, today is the day.
I will speak with you all on the "other " side so to speak.
Good luck Tryingtosmile,
Kind Regards to all.
 
Just got the call...I have to be at the hospital by 10 a.m. tomorrow (Tuesday) with surgery planned for somewhere around 11:30-12:30. I'm the doc's last surgery of the day because I'm a bilateral. I'd have preferred an earlier time, but oh well. I'll survive the no liquids--I have to stop all liquids by 2 a.m. so guess I'll stay up drinking water since it's a long time until surgery. Don't think I'll sleep much tonight anyway. Off to finish putting the binding on a quilt now.

Weezy
 
Hi Weezy! Just stopped by to wish you all the best today. You'll be fine. Don't worry about a thing. Two shiny hips coming you way. See you on the other side! :happydance:
 
Good luck to all the remaining October Fiesties.. we will be looking forward to hearing from you on the post op side when you are ready and feel like posting.
 
Hi all, I had bilateral replacements in the 6th, so good luck with those still waiting. It was all a bit quick but so glad it's now over and sorted New years eve we can raise a glass to each other and say happy new year happy new hip/s, happy new life, as we will be over the worst of it x :)
 
Having the second hip done on October 25. The pain is still fresh in my memory from the first (June 7). Hopefully this time I will get enough pain meds. Now that I know that I have to ask for the meds - I am better prepared. Good luck to everyone having hip surgery this month. Hope to see you on the other side.
 
Got back from Turkey last week in agony, my left hip given up the ghost, a week to my second new hip, I just hope this cures my back pain for once and for all , I have the pre op hospital meeting tomorrow and am digging out all the aids to refit around the house today. As it's my left hip and I have an auto I should be able to get back driving quicker , also will be easier getting into passenger seat of a car.

Did anyone find recovery easier for second hip than first?? , I will be recovering with an operated leg and a good leg this time , last time I had an operated leg and a knackered one, so hoping so.

Jsabo.....
The Morphine pump last time didn't do a great deal and had to go on Tramadol/Paracetamol , also I didn't get a catheter during surgery and had problems for the first day so they had to fit one later that evening so going to ask they fit one during surgery this time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom