October Feisties 2012 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In October?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi dilbhadev;

Just think by the time your birthday comes around in November, your surgery will be over and it will be onwards with your journey of recovery, looking forward to healing and eventually getting back to the activities you enjoy.

You know THR's are quite remarkable surgeries... Once the diseased (OA) bone is removed and the fantastic new components are in place you just won't believe how good it is.

You will regain your quality of life and your mobility!

Stay with us, we will share your journey and help you through it :)
 
Help, please! I'm trying to understand how this forum works. Is this area for people who are having surgery in October to be able to talk to each other? Because there are several admin. suggestions for people to start their own threads, so I'm just confused. Should I be introducing myself here to this group, or posting separate threads? Thanks!
 
You know it's getting close when the "toilet safety rails" have been installed! LOL. Thanks Weezy! Great idea! I see that we are all together on the preop side, but have to look for each other post op side. Probably a good idea as we are not supposed to be doing too much while focusing on our hip precautions. I have been checking out the post op area and there are lots of good stories and support over there. My "problem" is that I am a nurse and used to calling the shots/ being the hero. Someone wrote that you only have one chance to heal, so I am keeping that advice close to my heart and reading about all of your situations for strength and patience. We are all going to do great!
 
Hello Catherine, I see your surgery is exactly one week ahead of mine, and I'm having the same hip done. My surgeon does a lateral incision, but works with an anterior approach once he's in... whatever that means! I've only had two weeks' notice for this surgery, so all the appointments will be a whirlwind. I did have a pretty good idea that I'd have the surgery, though, so I've been reading a lot and getting the assistive aids I'll need. [I still need to figure out how to get my signature and info to show on my posts...]
 
Getting ready for hip surgery in just two weeks is awesome! I think I waited too long after finding out that my hip joint was "completely worn out." The pain has gotten worse and I have had to start using a cane. Looking forward to new parts that actually work! To create a signature, just click on your name tab at the top of the page and select signature. This will bring up a box where you can type in your surgery and date. The date should be in international form: day, month, year. The anterior approach is not for everyone. The technique has been around since the 1940's and involves a smaller incision. It is not practical for obese patients or those with moderate dysplasia. I did have to go out of town to find a surgeon/hospital who could do it. In theory it means improved recovery time and less chance of dislocation. We will see!
 
By the time I saw my surgeon, I'd needed to use a walker for about two months. His nurse told me the following day that he canceled office hours in order to do my surgery. Otherwise, I would have needed to wait until December. He's either really compassionate, or my hip is a wreck! It will be interesting to follow right behind you for this adventure!
 
Or both! Yes, we will have to keep in touch on the other side! :iagree:
 
Everyone seems so excited and happy to be having their surgery! I know that for the most part it's because you've been suffering for a long time and are looking forward to getting some relief and your old lives back. I share those feelings, but my symptoms came on so fast and in such a short period of time, and my surgery date was set within two weeks. So now I look like i have it together from the outside, but am falling apart emotionally on the inside. I can't tie it to fear, exactly; I'm just overwhelmed and feel that I just can't keep up with it all emotionally. Crying off and on for two days, and completely irrational! I had a knee replacement a little over a year ago, so I know pretty much what to be expecting - maybe fear of the unknown would be better!
 
Hi tryingtosmile;

I think because it has all happened so quickly, you just haven't had time to catch your breath and the roller coaster of emotions have overtaken. As you say with only two weeks notice, this is a good thing really, because you don't have too much lead time to let your mind run away too much. On the other hand, you have to squash all those emotions into the two weeks.

I would prefer to have a quick lead time and try to focus on what your quality of life is going to be without the walker... it is just around the corner :)
 
Hello,

I'm in a similar situation as my surgeon told me that my hip was collapsing and I also have only two weeks to prepare. My surgery is next Monday and it couldn't come any faster. I have tremendous pain in my hip and I'm also feeling a lot of pain in my knees and ankles. I'm somewhat concerned about my left hip now as I never had any pain until just a few weeks ago in the left hip. I was diagnosed with bilateral AVN last December and had a CD the next day. It was crazy for me to make such a fast decision on surgery, but I thought it would save me from having THR.

Last Thursday, I took off work to do all of my pre-op prep work. Long day, but it was nice to get most of it done in one day. I only have to get my haircut tomorrow and Blood Type and Screen on Thursday. Looking forward to it being over. I wanted to thank everyone for the information on swelling. This website is the bomb!!! :spin:
 
Dobeck, I hope all goes well. Let's keep in touch on the other side! I didn't have any trouble making the decision quickly - it's not going to get any better, and I want my life back! Looks like you may have more surgery in your future as well. I think that's the reason I'm having trouble focusing on the light at the end of the tunnel - I'm afraind that tunnel has a bend in it!
 
One other thought about how your "better" hip is now giving you more pain. When I had my right knee replaced, my left one, which was equally a mess, got much better. Once it didn't have to do so much more work supporting the bad knee, the swelling and discomfort went away. Maybe you'll get a reprieve with the left hip and the rest of your right leg. Let's hope so!
 
I just got back from a trip to KC to see friends and family before my surgery. I have been pretty mentally ready for my surgery on the 31st, but driving down the street last week I had this welling up of fear, the kind that makes your stomach flutter. I know I am doing the right thing, have picked the right doctor but there is still the fear that comes with any major surgery. I enjoyed a visit to my hometown, saw my ob/gyn (she said she would clear me for surgery!) and got my hair cut shorter than normal so its out of the way. I had to laugh at the shaving legs comment. My left leg looks pretty good, I keep joking that I will have a fur cuff on my right by surgery since I can't reach that far! My joint class did mention not to shave the day before so the weekend before I may have a friend help me with my right leg. I really wanted to get some weight off before surgery but the anxiety is creating a few snack monster moments. I will have a busy month so I hope I can put snacking aside for some healthy eating this month. I got a halloween basket to put in my room since it is on halloween, hopefully I can keep my caretakers happy with some treats while they are getting me back on my feet!
 
Hello All,

I also see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's bending a little. I need to have a good year next year, it's be a rough three years of health issues hopefully ending with this surgery. I know I will have to revisit my lung disease someday, but right now it's in check and without prednisone. I hope the other joints get better after surgery and I haven't caused any damage to them.

It's amazing how fast the hip goes once it starts to fracture. My first OS told me it was starting to fracture in early July when I went to get my second opinion and the second OS said he saw some fracturing, but I wasn't ready for surgery. Seeing the difference in my hip in just two months was incredible. AVN is really hard for me to understand that a drug to help you could cause so many other issues that are harmful.

The halloween basket is a great idea to keep your caretakers happy during your hospital stay. Wishing everyone happy hips in the coming weeks. I start my nose ointment tomorrow to protect me from MRSA. All of the things you have to do these days to protect yourself from infection. At least they have time tested products and procedures. Monday is coming quicker for me!
 
I had a much better day today. Went to joint class with my husband today. There wasn't much new to me since I'd had the knee done recently and had been doing my studying for the hip. We went shopping for drapes - a highly unusual event for my husband! I think he thought it might avoid another meltdown! I'm going to go to the movies with much-neglected friends this week, and pretend I'm normal for a day or two!
 
tryingtosmile;

Movies sound like a wonderful distraction - and to enjoy the company of good friends :)
 
HippyShani, I predict you'll get more TLC than any of the other patients! The basket is a great idea!
 
Tryingtosmile and Dobeck- my heart goes out to you! I have read a little bit about AVN and I think that the powerlessness would make me cry too. Fortunately, both of you have stepped up to the plate and have decided to fight back. With the help of modern medicine, friends, family and bonesmart you'll be back to normal soon! Being a woman, sometimes a little cry helps and after all, we do need to grieve the loss of our worn out body part (and grieving may also include anger, denial, guilt, rationalization and bargaining ). Being vulnerable certainly will bring out being human. As far as my personal journey goes, I have been saying all along that I want to be knocked out for this procedure, but doctors and family are all advising a spinal. They tell me it is much safer and has fewer side effects. I am working on doing what I am told...being a smart patient instead of the nurse. Good luck to all and hang in there!
 
Hi Catherine, Thanks for your kind words. You have a good attitude about being vulnerable. I had a spinal for my knee replacement, and wasn't awake or aware at all. My current surgeon wanted to do a spinal with a little general, and I begged him for just the spinal with some extra sedative to keep me sleeping. I've gotten really sick with general anesthesia, and feel worn out for a long time, and hate having the sore throat from the breathing tube, so I'm a big spinal fan! As a nurse, you probably know what they give you so you're not actually "awake." What's the stuff that makes you forget afterward? Maybe that's what they use. I'll be thinking of you on Friday, and wishing you a perfect outcome.
BTW, my name is Gail. :)
 
Hi Catherine, Gail, Poppet and everyone else on this wonderful site. Just had a few moments before bed to say hi and read todays thread. I'm not sure what kind of anesthesia I will get. I have had general for my past few surgeries and a spinal for my foot surgery. It was numb for about 6 hours after surgery and the podiatrist said it would wear off around 3 pm and it sure did. I think I tolerate the general anesthesia okay so, that might be what they choose for me.

I'm looking forward to everything being over and getting my life back in order. I don't really like missing time from work, but they keep saying just get yourself health because we need you. They have been very nice. I hope everyones surgery goes well in the upcoming weeks. Go Hippies!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom