October Feisties 2012 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In October?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone I am having right total hip replacement (due to oeasteoarthritis )on 22nd october i am 53 i now am limited to what i can now do however i am trying to prepare for surgery by trying to keep positive,i do get moments when i am scared as anything regarding the procedure i have tried to get as much information as possible so that i am clued up, i think its in those lonely moments in the middle of the night when the beast of pain wakes you and you have to get up and you are sat maybe watching tv shopping at 3 am that you feel the loneliest its good to know others are going through this at the same time i wish all of us well and a speedy recovery :groan::mcoffee::ok:
 
[Bonesmart.org] October Feisties 2012 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In October?
shoesister, so pleased you have joined us here on the forum. The feelings you have expressed are perfectly normal and shared by many.
Please start your own thread in the hip replacement pre op area. You will see a black oblong at the top right hand side of the page that says "Post New Thread"--when you click on it, it will open a title box. You determine the title you want for your thread and then to down to the dialogue box and proceed to tell us a little about yourself or you can copy and paste what you have written here.
The advantage of having your own thread is there is a place for you to express your concerns and ask your questions, and all us other BoneSmarties can respond directly to you there and can always find you to post to. Members will not necessarily visit this thread that often.
Looking forward to your first post in your thread where I can give you links to Library articles that will answer so many of your questions.
 
Welcome Shoesister..

You have come to the right place, because you are never going be alone anymore... even in the middle of the night... because we are an international forum, we have members online 24/7... even down under ones like myself from Australia..

Looking forward to sharing your journey with you :)
 
Hello everyone! I,m sitting in the waiting room waiting to get checked in. Feel great and very supported. Hi Gail! See you tonight on the other side! Yea!
 
I already prayed! Hope that's ok! I'll look for you this weekend, but I have another week before I'll actually be on the other side! I'm following in your footsteps - literally!
 
Good luck Healthyhip12; see you on the other side :) by my time calculation, it should all be done and dusted now for you.. Rest well and update us when you can :)

So pleased for you tryingtosmile; that your date has been brought forward.. Won't be long now :)
 
Hello everyone,

I really understand the night pain as I haven't had a full nights sleep in almost a year. Looking forward to getting rid of night pain. I hope your surgery went well Catherine. I'll be on the same train Monday afternoon. Crazy all the prep, but worth it to get rid of the pain. Gail good luck next week on your surgery. I will likely try to start a thread this weekend in the recovery area so, I can talk on the other side of surgery. Not sure when I will be up for talking. It's funny to say I'm looking forward to surgery, but I'm also scared to death. I've had so much stress the past few days with work and my thoughts about the surgery.
 
Dobeck, You must have been enduring a lot more pain for a lot longer than I have. The AVN came on suddenly and wrecked my hip just this summer. I've had a knee done, so I know there's a reward for going through this! They'll keep you comfortable after surgery, and when you walk you'll be amazed... Honestly, once you get to the hospital, all you need to do is relax. Everyone taking care of you are experts; you can let go and just let them do their jobs, and they'll help you do yours. I'll be thinking of you on Monday. It will be interesting to compare notes with Catherine soon.
 
I'm sooooo envious! You all are getting done....I'll see you on the other side as I stay on this side, moaning and whining cuz I still have 10 days to go....

Dobeck, I hear you about looking forward to it but being scared. I'm there too...I catch myself thinking "maybe it doesn't really hurt THAT bad" or "gee, it wasn't too bad today, maybe I don't need both replaced." HA!

tryingtosmile is right about them keeping you comfortable in the hospital and managing pain. If you start getting too nervous waiting, asking them when you can get the happy juice!

Weezy
 
To all the October Feisties still hanging around in the waiting room... Not long now, it is so worth it :)
 
Tuesday is my Pre op assessment day woohoo! hope to ask all those questions going round in my head.I agree with Weezy I think if you do get the odd moment respite from pain you say to yourself mm is it that bad?then the monster growls at you and that answers THAT question So. to every one having your procedure this week you are in my thoughts and prayers and sure you will do well chin up every one:yes!:keep us posted
 
Thanks everyone for keeping my spirits up. I'm looking forward to the happy juice just before they get to work on my bad hip. :) I took a list of questions with me to the hospital to make sure I got everything answered. Funny thing, the OS answered 90% of the questions before I got to ask him. He's a pro! I haven't had a good day with my hip in many months so, the monster is growling at me all the time.

I've been in pain for well over a year with pain starting slight and got painful quickly. I was diagnosed with AVN in both hips last December and had a core decompression the next day to my right hip. I only had pain in the right hip. I feel it was a mistake for me to do it without researching and getting more information. My OS told me it was a 50-50 chance the CD would work. The other option was to wait until the hip fails and have it replaced. I decided to have the surgery and have been in increasing pain since. I got no relief at all from the surgery and it also caused me to get meralgia paresthetica which is very painful and it hasn't totally gone away.

I went shopping today to get some of the last things I need in my house and think I over did it. I could barely walk when I got home. Not sure if any of you are having pain in your lower back and buttock muscle. It sounds funny, but it feels like someone hit me in my butt cheek with a fist or hammer. Crazy!!! Looking forward to walking normal again. It's nice to have a community of folks like us to help each other through this process. :happydance:
 
Tuesday is my Pre op assessment day woohoo! hope to ask all those questions going round in my head.I agree with Weezy I think if you do get the odd moment respite from pain you say to yourself mm is it that bad?then the monster growls at you and that answers THAT question

Man oh man....just wait until you have to quit the anti-inflammatories before surgery! My doc said I had to quit 10 days before, so yesterday was the last dose. I'd only been taking diclofenac for about a week and a half...I hadn't realized how much of a difference it made until I had to quit taking it yesterday. OUCH! :yikes: No doubts about needing it replaced now.

Dobeck--I've had low back pain for YEARS, the first time I really had respite from it was after the cortisone shot in my right hip. The relief from back pain was only on the right side, so I'm thinking that maybe my back pain has really been caused by my hips all these years. My hypothesis is that because of my hip deformity, my low back takes on the stress of forcing my body to be upright and fighting the hip joints that don't easily allow that upright posture. I can't wait to find out!

Weezy
 
Weezy - I had to stop taking NSAIDs about two weeks ago. I didn't realize how much Advil I was taking until I stopped. I was only able to take Tylenol, but the pain was so bad on Friday, I called my OS and asked if he could give me something. He gave me an RX for Tramadol which really makes me sleepy, but it helps some.

I had some shots in my hip, one for a nerve block for meralgia paresthetica and another one for the hip pain. Both didn't really help me at all. Should have been a sign then that it was time to have it replaced!
 
Well the day of my surgery is finally upon me and I've been a nervous wreck all day thinking about it. Not the surgery itself because I've been suffering so long now and know if necessary. It's the recovery process I'm worried about. I guess anytime you have surgery there are the unknown things that can happen and I think it's causing me anxiety.

I guess the next time I will be on, I'll go over to the recovery side of the website. I've read some incredible stories on the recovery side and some pretty scary stuff. I also took a look at the scars section where folks have sent in photos of their scars. Wow...some are pretty large. Probably not a good place for me to visit the day before surgery. See you all on the recovery side sometime this week. Thanks everyone for your support over the past 4 months.
 
I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. I also made the mistake of looking at the incisions and scars! I'm sure I'll be feeling like you on Wednesday night. Just remember that all kinds of people have this surgery done everyday, everywhere, and most wonder why they didn't do it sooner!
 
Yikes 3 days left to go after today,op on Thursday at 6.00pm.
Feeling a bit of everything at the moment. :):groan::sigh::yes!:.

Had a great night out with my oldest friend on Saturday , got pretty drunk and merry.
Off to buy the "throne" seat today , hospital are giving me crutches.
So do I need anything else as essential ?
thanks
 
Thanks Gail for the kind words. Only a few hours left before surgery. Got everything in place and starting to relax a little more about it.

dilbhadev - It's good to go out and let loose every now and then and when you're in pain it will help. I noticed I had a lot more pain the next day after having a few glasses of wine. Apparently, it's from dehydration from the alcohol. Drink plenty of water to help out. I installed my "throne" seat yesterday and got my shower seat in place for me when I get home. Good luck everyone this week for those having surgery and those recovering!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom