October Feisties 2012 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In October?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jsabo, GOOD Luck tommorrow. Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

Dingbat, Good Luck and best wishes, as I may not be able to wish you them on the 29th as I probably will be getting home that day
 
Dingbat, Good luck to you too. You are talking about back pain. That is what I am having too. The pain is at the top of my butt cheeks. Even though the doctor said that my hip is back - I was doubtfull that the hip was causing this pain. Is this a common symptom of the hip?

Has anyone else had the nerve block during surgery?
 
BeIth - Are you excited or scared or both? I am both!!! Just wanting to get this over with. Do you have two bad hips? Are they giving you a cortisone shot in the other hip hoping that will help in your recovery?
 
Jsabo, Definietly, both!! Yes, both hips are bad and unfortunately, I can not get up with my right good hip, without it first locking up, left hip is worse all around though, so hopefully the shot will get it to not lock and buy me some time before I get the right one done
 
Thanks Belloroma.........
Jsabo yes I have back pain at base of back , it happens after standing for about 5mins or walking about 200yds , it's a very sharp pain that feels muscular , like the muscle is being pulled, the only way to relieve it is to sit down or lean against a wall it then goes for a bit but comes back if I continue walking, after my right hip was done I didn't get the pain , but came back in August when left hip got worse.
 
Good Night October Fiesties, Signing off heading for surgery in the morning, to meet all the fiesties who went before and to wait for the rest of the group on the other side. Speedy recovery and stepping into life to all.
 
Good luck bellaroma; it is already 26 Oct here in OZ... looking forward to your first update from the post op side - hugs!
 
Good luck Jsabo13900; looking forward to reading your first update from the post op side :)
 
Not long now for you Dingbat7; 30 Oct is just around the corner.. you will be post op in the blink of an eye - good luck for Tuesday :)
 
Not sure if I'm responding late, but just read the last few responses and noticed the comments on back pain and nerve block. I had a lot of back pain on the side with the bad hip near the end before surgery. I'm happy to say the pain is gone in that area after the surgery. I also had a nerve block after the surgery was completed. I had a spinal for the surgery and they said the nerve block would last through the next day and it was wonderful. I didn't have any pain from the surgery until mid day the following day after the surgery. Kind of weird having your body numb from the waist down. Much better than general anesthesia.
 
Hi, everyone - I am due to have a RTHR on October 31st having had right hip problems for more than 15 years. Apprehensive and a bit snappy, so my family say. I have Lupus SLE and Sjogren's and Erlos-Danlos Type III (hypermobility) as well as osteoarthritis in a great many of my joints. I was in A&E a couple of weeks ago as I couldn't weight bear on my feet and ankles which were very swollen. I was told that I was in a lupus flare (according to the blood results). Now my R shoulder, elbows, wrists, thumbs and fingers are also inflamed. I am to have a knee replacement at some stage next year. I have had several surgeries on my knees (ACTs, lateral releases, TTT as well as surgeries on shoulder and wrists. I saw the surgeon who performed an arthoscopy on R hip last November and he immediately booked me in for surgery. The speed of this has caught me a bit on the (hip) hop and I haven't really been given any advice as to what aids/accessories I should buy and what the hospital will provide. The surgeon says it will be anterior and ceramic on ceramic. I am quite young and (hip willing) try to be as active as possible. Any advice would be most welcome.
 
Hi HH - welcome to BoneSmart. Congrats on your op date. At least you don't have to wait around too long.

Here's a thread from the Library about things you might need to get ready pre-op. Tips for easier recovery - a comprehensive list for hospital and home. Do spend some time in the Library. There is tons of information there. Then come back and ask any questions. We are here to help!
 
Hi HalloweenHip, I too will have a Hippy Halloween! Looks like we have several compradres surgeries this week and next. I am home doing last minute house preparedness, more busy work to keep myself sane. I didn't go to a birthday party last night due to a horrid headache and think I will forgo the halloween party tonite. Tmrw is an afternoon party with a favorite musician, I think I will try for that. To all you who are upcoming this week, good hips to you! I am, in no particular order -scared, nervous, anxious, excited, grateful, ready, not ready, prepared, not prepared, but most of all thankful there are options for me. Go forth with new hips and smile!
 
Thanks Jacey M and Hippy Sham. Enjoy tomorrow's afternoon party. I am also trying to carry out odd jobs (still unpacking to do after moving house 4 weeks ago). Am eager to learn about anterior approach to THR if anyone can help. Bought a grabber and sock assist from Amazon. Also bought a loo seat but haven't fitted it yet. Has blue plastic fixings which seem quite standard - does anyone have any tips?
 
Well all packed , kitchen set up in upstairs study , raised loo seat ready to be deployed in morning, cab booked, what could possibly go wrong :yikes:
 
Hello Halloween Hip,

I had RTHR on October 8th, anterior approach and recovering nicely. At my hospital, they gave me a kit of things I needed for home. A grabber, leg lifter, clothing aid/stick, sock aid, long shoe horn and elastic shoe laces to slide my shoes on. I purchased a raised toilet seat and shower chair prior to my surgery. I had to get a walker while I was in the hospital. You will definitely need these items. At least, I have made good use of them. I'm still using most of them 3 weeks out of surgery.

I only have a 4 1/2" scar and it looks great now. My incision was glued together with many layers of dissolvable stitches below. It kind of feels strange and hard underneath. Most of the swelling is gone and wasn't bad to begin with. The surgery was quite amazing to me. I had a spinal and nerve block afterwards keeping me mostly pain free for the first 24 hours. Still have some pain, but minor compared to prior to the surgery. The assistant OS gave me a photo of my hip to take home to show everyone. Kind of cool to see what it looks like. I hope this helped.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom